Philly reporter takes shots at Buffalo

going to check out a cheesesteak place I haven't been to yet in South Philly, Gooey Looie's, supposed to be very good, have hit most of the must to places, still have this and D'Allesandro's to check out. Heading to see the Who so we'll pregame with some steaks and hoagies. again, i have said it before, the best cheesesteak in town doesn't hold a candle to a Dinic's Roast Pork in Reading Terminal Market.

I go to philly about 3 times per year. And old town is nice, but outside of like that 5 block radius and it really is a crappy downtown.

Add in there the ridiculous city wage taxes and the crime that nucci mentioned and weather that is pretty much the same as Buffalo, and I am not sure they have the right to say anything. It's not like they are San Diego or something.

Re cheesesteaks, you are right. I have never had a decent one in philly. Better cheesesteaks in WNY and Pittsburgh, in my view.

Edit. For what it's worth, right around the year 1900, buffalo was objectively the greatest, most important city in the world. (And I say this as a Rochesterian!)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be emotional insecurity in the water in b-Lo.

The most entertaining part of this thread is where the writer of this piece is vilified for taking a shot at b-Lo, followed by systemic degradation of Philly.

6 times the number of people choose to live in philly metro area over b-Lo metro area. So yeah they've all got their problems but there are perfectly good to great places in both, and not so great places too. But it's hard to argue that population isn't at least some form of folks giving you their 'vote' on which is the better place to live.

Me personally, I grew up in buffalo, and sure it's an just fine place... But it's a big world out there and every place has its own positives and negatives which are weighed according to ones own preference.

Also- Legit cheesecakes use provolone... Cheese whiz was a lazy "evolution" and such chemistry experiments should be rejected from the food chain.

Also Sorry- philly has far more and far better restaurants than Buffalo. Foodies put it in the top 10 almost everywhere you look. B-Lo has some solid food pride too, but come on here...

Anyway, I wonder what a buffalo wing cheesesteak would taste like?

part of his response to me

...To be honest, the column wasn't so much about Buffalo as the Eagles' strange decision to sign three former Bills players and how they will fit into the Eagles' system.
The section at the end about Buffalo was written with my tongue firmly stuck in my cheek, but some people didn't appreciate the humor.

part of his response to me

interesting. I don't think it was necessarily a strange decision to sign those guys but admittedly it was strange to pay Ron Brooks anything north of a cheesesteak. He will soon be re-paying them in ST penalties for block in the back.

"and that is Darren Sproles to the house on 55 yard punt return! Wait... !@#$"

Edited by YoloinOhio

This "joke" is so played out and not relevant.

I have lived both places and both cities have wonderful things to offer, as well as drawbacks.

Also, how is Lake Erie 35 miles from Buffalo?

Only if you start driving east

The most entertaining part of this thread is where the writer of this piece is vilified for taking a shot at b-Lo, followed by systemic degradation of Philly.

6 times the number of people choose to live in philly metro area over b-Lo metro area. So yeah they've all got their problems but there are perfectly good to great places in both, and not so great places too. But it's hard to argue that population isn't at least some form of folks giving you their 'vote' on which is the better place to live.

Me personally, I grew up in buffalo, and sure it's an just fine place... But it's a big world out there and every place has its own positives and negatives which are weighed according to ones own preference.

Also- Legit cheesecakes use provolone... Cheese whiz was a lazy "evolution" and such chemistry experiments should be rejected from the food chain.

Also Sorry- philly has far more and far better restaurants than Buffalo. Foodies put it in the top 10 almost everywhere you look. B-Lo has some solid food pride too, but come on here...

all i said was cheeze whiz is gross.

I did not even read the article.

Every city has their very real gems if you know where to look, and they have a place where poop is processed too.

Only if you start driving east

all i said was cheeze whiz is gross.

I did not even read the article.

Every city has their very real gems if you know where to look, and they have a place where poop is processed too

DM me the directions to this place you speak of. Been looking for a place that serves up some prime, dry aged poop.

DM me the directions to this place you speak of. Been looking for a place that serves up some prime, dry aged poop.

I cannot give up all my secrets. And then everyone shows up and i cant get my special table

Some of the poop is heritage breed free range poop.

I know my shyt

Listen- people were just venting on someone who had no reason as it was supposed to be an article commenting on the departure of some athletes from the bills electing to sign with the Eagles. Why bring up erroneous comments that has nothing to do with McKelvin, and so on leaving for Philly. To boot his comments showed he has almost no knowledge of Buffalo.

This is coming from a guy who grew up in Buffalo for 23 years minus college, and has lived in what most people would think is a much more attractive city in Tampa, FL. If you scanned my original comment, i love my home and friends, but Buffalo is in my heart always. I think many people just get sick of the uneducated bashing of Buffalo going back to all the jokes from Johnny Carson in the 70's.

Someone should really send him the link of that nice piece by Katie Couric on Buffalo. That was such a nice on the revitalization of Buffalo. I teased about cheesestaks, but have had multiple meetings in Philly, and it has it's ups and downs in the city. I just never hear from Vic Carucci, or Tyler Dunne taking pot shots at another city. It doesn't happen.

My last point is so many polls out there from players, fans, and even so many positive comments from commentators like on NFLR or NFLN on the Bills having one of the top 3 best fan bases in the country. I truly believe that going to NFL games in over 14 cities over the years. Other fan bases are just fine, but there is something special about Buffalo. I can guarantee you, the players who left for Philly as this reporter suggests did not leave for any reason about the city. They left for a better contract, and possibly to play under Schwartz.