I expect LB to be our 1st pick in this year's draft.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 187 lb DE. Why didn't that cause some red flags to be raised?

Because we had 162 pound linebackers playing behind him, so Maybin WAS d-line material on that Junior Varsity Tampa-2 defense.

I was just thinking that we REALLY need to bulk up at LB, so I'm glad this thread was here. We need to take a LB in one of the first two picks, and two within the first five picks. I feel like we should get a 2nd or 3rd round DT, too, so I can see WR being a position, this year, that just plain and simple can't get addressed effectively in the draft. I haven't been for it until now, seeing things in this light, but it would now make sense to bring back Harvin on another 1 year deal, for around 3 million. We have around 5 million to spend, and I don't know if any other options would have the immediate impact of bringing in Harvin for that price.

They needed linebackers last year. Bradham and Brown weren't quick enough to cover.

I agree that linebacker is THE priority and in absence of drafting one in the first round, they better find some strong safety talent in later rounds to convert to linebacker.

Hoping we find a field-stretching WR in FA, because the lack of LB's on a 3-4 D-scheme is alarming -so the Draft HAS to commit to defense, IMO.

Broken record but we don't have a nose tackle either.

We are fully pregnant but if we had been on the pill we'd be in a better position.

Looking over the roster the LB position is our most glaring need. Although DE is also a need, especially after this free agency, this year's draft is suppose to be deep at this position. I'm not suggesting on who we should draft because I don't know enough about the college prospects so I would like to see others who know more about this to weigh in on who would be the best prospects at the #19 pick.

One last thing. I noticed that Dwight Freeney is looking to play 1 more season before he calls it quits. I would think that he may have to wait a bit before some teams make a serious run at him. I couldn't imagine him demanding big dollars at this stage of his career. Any thoughts on him being a valid option for us this year? With us needing a speed rusher and Freeney being a situational edge rusher I would think that he could be an ideal fit for us, especially that he's a Syracuse graduate and Jerry Hughes being a former teammate, this could be a very fluid transition for all involved.

Go Bills!

What happened to "BPA"?

LB is a big need. But if they're counting on drafting a guy who can come in and be the lynchpin of Rex's system as a rookie, a lot of things have to roll right.

The Whaley/Steelers "linebacker U" model is to draft guys in the 3-5th round and let them develop a couple years before starting. It's not clear that's compatible with the type of LB Rex needs.

Broken record but we don't have a nose tackle either.

We are fully pregnant but if we had been on the pill we'd be in a better position.

Ha!

Don't understand the whole "fully pregnant" wording anyway. What's the opposite, "little bit pregnant"? Or is Rex just talking about his brother's protruding stomach?

Does Cornelius Bennett count? He wasn't our draft pick, but he cost us 2 first rounders, a second round pick and Greg Bell (first round pick RB)

Nope. Someone nailed it above -- Shane Conlan, 29 years ago.

Since then, first round picks by group:

9 DB

4 RB

4 DL

4 OL

3 WR

2 QB

spotrac shows the bills have about $111 mil committed for 2017

reasonable to assume cap at $160

that $111 is WITHOUT any money whatsoever committed to Gilmore ($12), glenn($14) , tyrod($20)

Im pretty sure that while those will probably be the pay outs......the managing of the cap will allow us to kick the can down the road a bit and still have cap room

also

If a deal gets done for Glenn down the road a bit then whatever salary cap savings can be rolled

also

There will be decisions made on other players at this point that are carrying heavy cap numbers like meatball

I want whatever player makes Rex Ryan's D go the best

If its a LB then so be it

In honesty....when you insert Alex Carrington in for Mario Williams and you dont see a difference in production? That might say something there

I thought Doug Whaley said they could go with a number of positions on Draft weekend. :lol:

Right now they have 2 guys with any decent NFL time at LB and one is a 10 year veteran. They have 1 DL on the roster, Dareus, who fits a 3-4. Their CB depth beyond Gilmore and Darby is thin, and at safety they hope Aaron Williams can play after he missed significant time.

In short, they have defensive needs all over the field. How they'll address them is anyone's guess after last year's spending spree meant they couldn't do much in 2016. And expecting rookies to learn Rex's scheme out of the box is a wing and a prayer.

I thought Doug Whaley said they could go with a number of positions on Draft weekend. :lol:

Right now they have 2 guys with any decent NFL time at LB and one is a 10 year veteran. They have 1 DL on the roster, Dareus, who fits a 3-4. Their CB depth beyond Gilmore and Darby is thin, and at safety they hope Aaron Williams can play after he missed significant time.

In short, they have defensive needs all over the field. How they'll address them is anyone's guess after last year's spending spree meant they couldn't do much in 2016. And expecting rookies to learn Rex's scheme out of the box is a wing and a prayer.

OK....so based on what you just said how was Whaley not speaking the truth?

Everyone knows you have an agenda....but jesus

While its still very early, I agree they have some obvious holes.

However that's Rex Ryan's doing more so then it is Whaleys in my opinion.

Still the blames goes around as hiring the head coach seemed to be a committee decision.

I think he meant that Whaleys intentions with those comments was that they don't have many holes so they can pick any position they want.

Scott....that is quite a read into

GM's are not gonna tell teams who they are gonna pick

They actually COULD go a number of directions with the 1st pick......because a starting D player is needed.

OK....so based on what you just said how was Whaley not speaking the truth?

Everyone knows you have an agenda....but jesus

Agenda? Yes, I'd like them to win. And to that end, when they don't, I'll openly question their moves.

If you're good with a combined .438 winning percentage (35-45) going back to 2011, then I'd say your agenda is fatally flawed.

Agenda? Yes, I'd like them to win. And to that end, when they don't, I'll openly question their moves.

If you're good with a combined .438 winning percentage (35-45) going back to 2011, then I'd say your agenda is fatally flawed.

You can choose to look it at one long string of losing

Or you can realize that it doesnt really work that way. We have a new supportive owner......a coach who has been successful in the past.....his brother (now I admit...this is a :(......and are in the second year of a D change over.

Give the current coaches the chance to show what their D can do....realize that our O actually IMPROVED...they might actually have a QB

But bitching about anything and everything? Find another team or look a little deeper at what is going on