Unparalleled look into the Rex Ryan Defense...

I know he has probably changed and adapted some things, but this gives an unparalleled look into Rex Ryan's defense...its the actual 2010 NY Jets defensive playbook in its entirety:

http://www.footballxos.com/download/defense/pro-defense/2010-NY-Jets-Defense-Rex-Ryan.pdf

This site is amazing, it has about 60-70 offensive NFL playbooks and another 60-70 defensive NFL playbooks, and even a Bills-Jets pre-game scouting report from 2001...plus a multitude of other playbooks from colleges, specific types of offenses and defenses, etc...

It's a look into football you would never get unless you coached or played at a high level before...

And for even more...a look into his 2005 Baltimore Ravens defense on a powerpoint with about 50 slides or so...

http://www.footballxos.com/download/defense/pro-defense/2005-Baltimore-Ravens-Rex-Ryan.ppt

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then there is Wade who keeps it simple, let them react, and play tot heir strengths. Who won the SB again?

It's always a problem when the coach thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and out thinks himself. This is why I have no faith in year 2 we will have this miraculous aha moment by our players this year.

And then there is Wade who keeps it simple, let them react, and play tot heir strengths. Who won the SB again?

It's always a problem when the coach thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and out thinks himself. This is why I have no faith in year 2 we will have this miraculous aha moment by our players this year.

I feel the same way. There's a lot of debate here about how good the defense could be once we get the right players and they "buy in" and learn the defense, but holy crap why should it be that difficult? This defense was built to dominate on the simplest defensive game plan of them all; let the line move forward, let the LB's/safety clean up and occasionally blitz.

With just the right players and time to really learn, Rex's defense may be amazing, but I have no faith that it will be next year.

Have we seen wade phillips playbook to make these assumptions?

Also,

What does Rex need to get the pass rush going? We had 4 primer pass rushers in a 4-3 going into the season and we all saw how badly they regressed under Rex. Now its getting blown up to go to a 3-4.

I'm guessing we need OLBs to provide the pass rush now? I'd like to see them go in that direction in the draft.

I will say it once I will say it again

Teams were coming out and using a quick throw pass offense against us........what if Schwartz was still our DC and he was NOT WORKING because offenses had game film on us and were now doing something to negate it.

We would be calling for Schwartz head

So that simple defense of his has won how many Super Bowls? He has as many rings as Rex.

For comparison, there is a Wade Phillips play book on that site as well

So that simple defense of his has won how many Super Bowls? He has as many rings as Rex.

It just won the last one...

For comparison, there is a Wade Phillips play book on that site as well

It just won the last one...

All 4 of their linebackers are significant upgrades over the 4 we rolled out. Sideline to sideline, and coverage they are better. They are better pass rushers as well. Their D-line is at least top 10 in the league, and they have a big physical secondary that matches up very well to ours. Probably better since several of their guys have been in the playoffs before, and are more experienced. Not to mention the injuries.

But we'll just compare wade's d to rex's and say its apples to apples.

Right, which was...his first.

I just don't really see the comparison (in your argument or the original). For me, it's not the point to rail against Rex's defense in a vacuum. I just ask why did he have to stick to such a complicated defense given how his team was built to work in a very simple one. It's either ignorance or hubris, but no matter now you look at it just not good coaching.

I just don't really see the comparison (in your argument or the original). For me, it's not the point to rail against Rex's defense in a vacuum. I just ask why did he have to stick to such a complicated defense given how his team was built to work in a very simple one. It's either ignorance or hubris, but no matter now you look at it just not good coaching.

My response was to the poster who seemed to claim that Wade's simple defense is what wins Super Bowls. Of course, that's the first time his simple defense won the Super Bowl.

sounds like some killer weed

thats what i thought too. very medicinal i would think.

ok i don't see the problem. this is not overly complicated. if you focus on the individual positions each player would have to learn its not so bad. most offensive playbook look similar

interesting take, Face.

as long as everyone know their assignment..