Unparalleled look into the Rex Ryan Defense...

I know he has probably changed and adapted some things, but this gives an unparalleled look into Rex Ryan's defense...its the actual 2010 NY Jets defensive playbook in its entirety:

http://www.footballxos.com/download/defense/pro-defense/2010-NY-Jets-Defense-Rex-Ryan.pdf

This site is amazing, it has about 60-70 offensive NFL playbooks and another 60-70 defensive NFL playbooks, and even a Bills-Jets pre-game scouting report from 2001...plus a multitude of other playbooks from colleges, specific types of offenses and defenses, etc...

It's a look into football you would never get unless you coached or played at a high level before...

And for even more...a look into his 2005 Baltimore Ravens defense on a powerpoint with about 50 slides or so...

http://www.footballxos.com/download/defense/pro-defense/2005-Baltimore-Ravens-Rex-Ryan.ppt

Good find!

I liked Pettine's Powerpoint presentation. One slide explains why he favors the 3-4.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then there is Wade who keeps it simple, let them react, and play tot heir strengths. Who won the SB again?

It's always a problem when the coach thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and out thinks himself. This is why I have no faith in year 2 we will have this miraculous aha moment by our players this year.

Yeah well we have Rex and his crazy complex defense and thats that; you have the guy who saved the franchise for you to complain to about that. give him a call.

If only Rex had asked Mario to "rush the passer really well." If only he had asked the rest of his front seven to "come off the ball." There are things a coach shouldn't have to ask his players. I think giving all out effort is one of them.

Too bad Rex couldn't find the sac to bench anyone he had to ask.

GO BILLS!!!

Same guys in 2014. Except Rex.

1st to 31st in sacks. Someone must have told them to avoid rushing the passer.

Bill Belichick is probably really mad someone found all the bootleg playbooks that "disappeared" in the aftermath of the spygate investigation...

anyway, as far as Wade vs. Rex, has everyone forgot Wade was the last HC to take us to the playoffs? Wade 1, Rex 0. I would switch coaches in a second.

Edit: I'm sorry, Wade took us to the playoffs TWICE ... Wade 2, Rex 0.

Edited by JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS

26CB - I love the tutorials from PK so thanks. My favorite show by far on the radio as it pertains to the NFL.

Joe, absolutely right on Wade, and we had the best defense in all 55 years of existence for the Bills under his tenure. The 60's form what I've read was dominant, the early 90's was good, but the late 90's defense was absolutely crushing to other teams. Too bad we had a mediocre offense. Wade is an elite DC. I wouldn't want him though as a HC as he just hasn't been able to put it all together. Some guys are just genius coordinators, but not meant to be a HC.

26CB - I love the tutorials from PK so thanks. My favorite show by far on the radio as it pertains to the NFL.

Joe, absolutely right on Wade, and we had the best defense in all 55 years of existence for the Bills under his tenure. The 60's form what I've read was dominant, the early 90's was good, but the late 90's defense was absolutely crushing to other teams. Too bad we had a mediocre offense. Wade is an elite DC. I wouldn't want him though as a HC as he just hasn't been able to put it all together. Some guys are just genius coordinators, but not meant to be a HC.

this

Hard to judge Wade because he worked for two of the most infamously meddlesome FOs in the NFL, Buffalo and Dallas. No sense dredging up past issues but wonder how he would have done in 99 if given the kind of free reign Kraft gives his HC.

this

I get it, maybe Wade was never going to be the guy for us but Rex clearly suffers the same flaw.

Hard to judge Wade because he worked for two of the most infamously meddlesome FOs in the NFL, Buffalo and Dallas. No sense dredging up past issues but wonder how he would have done in 99 if given the kind of free reign Kraft gives his HC.

I get it, maybe Wade was never going to be the guy for us but Rex clearly suffers the same flaw.

I was speaking to Rex honestly!

Huge Wade fan btw.. as a DC

And then there is Wade who keeps it simple, let them react, and play tot heir strengths. Who won the SB again?

It's always a problem when the coach thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and out thinks himself. This is why I have no faith in year 2 we will have this miraculous aha moment by our players this year.

Very well said!

This was evident in the Patriots and Giants game. Not so much after that as QBs had all day to throw for most of the year on our defense.

Also, the quick passing game didn't slow down the Broncos pass rush at all.

Agreed. No pressure besides the odd game. And, we still slowed down the Giants enough to win, but, had a terrible offensive game.

So that simple defense of his has won how many Super Bowls? He has as many rings as Rex.

Apples to Oranges. Rings has nothing to do with it. What has transpired in both their careers in the last 5 years is relevant though.

I just don't really see the comparison (in your argument or the original). For me, it's not the point to rail against Rex's defense in a vacuum. I just ask why did he have to stick to such a complicated defense given how his team was built to work in a very simple one. It's either ignorance or hubris, but no matter now you look at it just not good coaching.

Yep!

Based on the comments from defensive players in Rex's and Rob's system, one of the biggest issues is figuring out which play and personnel grouping is being used on each play because they are so specific that it takes too much time to get it all figured out.

Also, offensive assignments are a lot easier to dictate. Defenses tend to more reactionary, so complicating them makes reacting to what the offense is doing that much more difficult. And really, it's not a good idea to have a defense that relies on every single person doing the exact right thing. In a perfect world, it makes sense, but in reality it's just not going to happen and there's going to be a breakdown. Better to plan for the reality IMO.

Agreed! It's like playing man to man coverage in hockey. You win 6 or 7 battles out of ten, that's good. So, 3 or 4 times a player is alone with the goalie. Thats not good. Not good odds for big, game changing plays. Bad coaching!

Wade Phillips

Defensive players, theyre aggressive by nature. I think you take something away from them when you dont let them be, he said. And aggressive doesnt mean blitzing all the time, but it does mean coming off the footballeverybody coming off the football

Ive always said, Hey, if he can rush well, if hes a really great rusher, let him rush. It seems simple but sometimes people want to drop them in the pass and all that stuff. Its also the cornerbacks, what they can do; Its what [Chris] Harris [Jr.] can do, what [Aqib] Talib can do. Its whatever they can do really well, then were going to utilize that, Phillips said.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Phillips-to-bring-aggressiveness-3-4-defense/e41c7a5a-cfe5-450f-aa2f-9050f5a95352

That doesn't work and is bad coaching?! Bahahaaaha, Rex can out smart Phillips anyday. I mean, our coach is an ego maniac who loves media attention and thinks everyone isn't as smart as him!!!

Oh and with his brother we are now twice as smart. Unstoppable!! Superbowl!!

Seriously would not pee on Rex if he was on fire!

Edited by Manther

Agree . . . Defense doesn't have to be hard.

A simple straightforward approach doesn't mean it is weak. Sophistication doesn't equal effectiveness. The only time getting cute and out-smarting your opponent is relevant is when you have lesser talent. No one thinks that was the Bills Defensive problem last year.

Just weaker talented and lesser Coaching.