JPP suing Schefter, ESPN for posting medical records

YoloinOhio

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But technically, and I am not a lawyer, I believe as far as HIPAA is concerned, it's on the hospital worker for disclosing the protected health information, not ESPN for broadcasting it.

im not a lawyer either but I too thought HIPAA laws apply only to medical professionals. Not media.

But technically, and I am not a lawyer, I believe as far as HIPAA is concerned, it's on the hospital worker for disclosing the protected health information, not ESPN for broadcasting it.

According to what I was taught when processing potential HIPAA data it is illegal to disclose it as well to receive it but the company I worked for Verizon lies all the time.

According to what I was taught when processing potential HIPAA data it is illegal to disclose it as well to receive it but the company I worked for Verizon lies all the time.

You may very well be right. At any rate, I like the idea of ESPN and Scheftnik getting boned for this.

Good. I don't know anything about the legal status here .... Schefter and ESPN claimed HIPAA only applies to people in the medical profession...but I agree it was an invasion of privacy, and not only JPP's but the individual whose medical information was adjacent and not redacted..... scummy behavior x20

I hope they get rolled

Who Must Follow These Laws

We call the entities that must follow the HIPAA regulations "covered entities."

Covered entities include:

• Health Plans, including health insurance companies, HMOs, company health plans, and certain government programs that pay for health care, such as Medicare and Medicaid.
  • Most Health Care Providers—those that conduct certain business electronically, such as electronically billing your health insurance—including most doctors, clinics, hospitals, psychologists, chiropractors, nursing homes, pharmacies, and dentists.
  • Health Care Clearinghouses—entities that process nonstandard health information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individuals/guidance-materials-for-consumers/index.html

Based on this chart it appears that ESPN would not be a covered entity

https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/HIPAA-Administrative-Simplification/HIPAAGenInfo/Downloads/CoveredEntitycharts.pdf

Edited by PlayoffsPlease