Josina Anderson: Mario open to pay cut to stay with Bills

YoloinOhio

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario has to be cut. If one of your highest paid players and one you'd expect to be a leader can mail in half the season while criticizing his coaching staff to the media, and still be rewarded with a contract extension then you have no chance.

And I wouldn't worry too much about Mario going to New England. He's not their type of player and they don't really need him on defense.

I agree, talent does win. So..? Particularly talent at QB.

As for Jauron overachieving, if this isn't clear to Bills fans by now, there's no hope.

As for Rex underachieving, the defense suffered a lot of injuries, and the linebacking corp suffered tremendously without Spikes. LB's can go a LONG LONG way in improving an NFL defense, dare I say they're the most important unit? Ours stunk, bad. So, about that talent?

So, between the injuries and the lack of talent at a critical unit, I'm not prepared to say--with certainty--that Rex was to blame for failing.

On the flip side, I've provided clear evidence that the offense did the team no favors during critical stretches of winnable games, mostly because of our lack of talent at QB (again).

I see the combination of all these talent factors having more of an impact on the disappointment of 2015 than the all-present-in-Bills-nation gripe: COACHING.

Lack of talent in a particular unit? You mean the players that excelled the year before? This d was toast even with Kyle, and it was the same group as the previous year. Look, I hope he turns this d around, but these bs excuses for rex are amazing. Kyle wasn't gonna help the calls come in on time or get the right sub's in on time. THE COACHING WAS HORRIBLE. Just watching this past season, anyone could see this team was poorly coached. Didn't the giants coach say we will beat ourselves because of Rex?

Lack of talent in a particular unit? You mean the players that excelled the year before? This d was toast even with Kyle, and it was the same group as the previous year. Look, I hope he turns this d around, but these bs excuses for rex are amazing. Kyle wasn't gonna help the calls come in on time or get the right sub's in on time. THE COACHING WAS HORRIBLE. Just watching this past season, anyone could see this team was poorly coached. Didn't the giants coach say we will beat ourselves because of Rex?

Neither Bradham nor Brown are excellent. And if your argument hinges on whether or not they 'excelled' in 2014, then it's baseless.

Neither Bradham nor Brown are excellent. And if your argument hinges on whether or not they 'excelled' in 2014, then it's baseless.

They both played very well in 2014. Now with Bradham there is more of an argument for saying that is an anomaly in an otherwise middling 4 years with the Bills. However, with Brown it is a case of one very good year and one very bad year - which is the real Preston Brown? It remains to be seen.

They both played very well in 2014. Now with Bradham there is more of an argument for saying that is an anomaly in an otherwise middling 4 years with the Bills. However, with Brown it is a case of one very good year and one very bad year - which is the real Preston Brown? It remains to be seen.

Brown was drafted into a different scheme. I'll happily concede that point. Doesn't mean Rex failed him, but does imply that he's no good under Rex, which aligns with the same 'talent' argument I've been making for the last decade on this board.

At the combine yesterday, Rex came right out and flatly said that Brown has to do a better job of making the calls.

Bradham played fine and he played fine last year. At no point has he 'excelled.'

Both of them benefited greatly from playing alongside Spikes. You will not convince me otherwise.

But again, they're both marginally talented and they comprise what is arguably the most important unit of any NFL defense.

Engage with fantasy? It didn't happen.

You have proven yourself this offseason utterly unwilling to consider for a second that Rex Ryan was the main reason for the defensive failure in 2015 - this is just another example of your refusing to engage in any argument that disputes your narrative.

You have proven yourself this offseason utterly unwilling to consider for a second that Rex Ryan was the main reason for the defensive failure in 2015 - this is just another example of your refusing to engage in any argument that disputes your narrative.

I've considered it. I don't believe it to be true. And I've been quite thorough with why.

How often have you considered alternative explanations?

Also, there is no narrative, in spite of you trying to use it as a nasty word.

Edited by The Big Cat

I've considered it. I don't believe it to be true. And I've been quite thorough with why.

What would you consider a successful season for the 2016 Bills defense?

Would it go by overall ranking, PPG, YPG, sacks?

How about improving from 31st to 29th in sacks? Will you tell us all we should recognize Rex's genius if that happens?

Should Rex be measured against any objective criteria like those or should we find players to blame if the whole thing craters like Rex's last 5 or 6 years running?

Edited by 4merper4mer

In my view Mario was blatant in not giving full effort on many plays. Some disagree with that characterization but many believe as I do. The coaches and players watch the tape. They know what a full throttle Mario looked like on tape and they know what a passive Mario looked like on tape. As C.Biscuit astutely pointed out if was obvious that Mario was deliberately slacking off in order to demonstrate the wrongheadedness of what the coach was asking him and the unit to do.

Head coaches have a responsibility to set the tone for the whole team and create the environment in which players work in. Effort and disciplinary issues are not uncommon issues that a head coach has to deal with. It is an essential element in their job. When a player is acting in an insubordinate manner then the coach has to immediately handle the problem before it affects the rest of the team.

Coaches have different personalities and coaching styles. Some are more strict than others and some are more laid back than others. There is no right or wrong approach. You have to be true to who you are. Last year's team (mostly on defense) lacked discipline and intelligence. Part of the problem is that the coach and his staff (again mostly on defense) did not hold the players accountable. If Rex would have taken Mario off the field that not only would have made an emphatic statement to Mario but it also would have made a forceful statement to the rest of the team. If the best player (arguably so) was going to be held accountable then the rest of the unit would also be held accountable. This is a case where how a coach responded to a hardheaded player would have been more effective than anything he could have said.

I'm not a Rex fan and never will be. Let's put aside the issue of scheme and how it fits his players. Rex being overly lenient to the point of passivity in the face of an insubordinate player is one glaring example as to why I believe he is less than a mediocre coach. And it is why that with him at the helm this team is going to continue to flounder. There might be some teasing episodes of success but it won't be sustained success.

The Rex that we hired is the Rex that we got. That is why I am so exasperated with this nonsensical hiring.

Coaches have different personalities and coaching styles. Some are more strict than others and some are more laid back than others. There is no right or wrong approach. You have to be true to who you are. Last year's team (mostly on defense) lacked discipline and intelligence.

Which is likely Rex being true to who he is.