Josina Anderson: Mario open to pay cut to stay with Bills

YoloinOhio

Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with his age, or diminishing skills..I think it was all attitude with Mario last season. I remember re-watching a game, keying in, speicifically on him...I think it was the Redskins game...he just was just playing very half-heartedly, and his body language, as the defense was setting up for their next snap was showing utter disgust and frustration...

It seemed, especially the first half of the season, other defensive players were kind of Mario's side in this battle of wills...but as the season wore on, more and more started to "buy in", leaving Mario as the only one still struggling to adapt to the changes. It happens in all types of jobs, when there are changes...football players are no different. It sounds as though, now that the season is over, Mario has had a little time to reflect...maybe he now realizes his attitude was part of his problem, and also, that he isn't going to make near the money he was slated to make in Buffalo, anywhere else.

Personally, if the numbers can be worked out, I want him back. They are going to have to pay somebody to play that position...Mario is way too good of a ball player to give up on that easily... particularly if he is willing to accept a reasonable contract.

Good post.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the 2nd game in NE on Monday night?

You're one of my favorite posters here. I'm not going to go back and forth debating every game. If you honestly believe we weren't a much worse defense than we were in 2014, more power to you.

I'm hoping for the best but losing an elite talent for a coach who had a winning season in 5 years seems like an awful trade.

Yeah, because Brady's 346 yard performance the one time NE tried against BUF in 2014, that was a 'dominant' performance from that defense.

You're like one of those old coaches who becomes a broadcaster and can never criticize someone in your fraternity.

You're one of my favorite posters here. I'm not going to go back and forth debating every game. If you honestly believe we weren't a much worse defense than we were in 2014, more power to you.

I'm hoping for the best but losing an elite talent for a coach who had a winning season in 5 years seems like an awful trade.

You're like one of those old coaches who becomes a broadcaster and can never criticize someone in your fraternity.

I already stipulated that they were worse.

Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with his age, or diminishing skills..I think it was all attitude with Mario last season. I remember re-watching a game, keying in, speicifically on him...I think it was the Redskins game...he just was just playing very half-heartedly, and his body language, as the defense was setting up for their next snap was showing utter disgust and frustration...

It seemed, especially the first half of the season, other defensive players were kind of Mario's side in this battle of wills...but as the season wore on, more and more started to "buy in", leaving Mario as the only one still struggling to adapt to the changes. It happens in all types of jobs, when there are changes...football players are no different. It sounds as though, now that the season is over, Mario has had a little time to reflect...maybe he now realizes his attitude was part of his problem, and also, that he isn't going to make near the money he was slated to make in Buffalo, anywhere else.

Personally, if the numbers can be worked out, I want him back. They are going to have to pay somebody to play that position...Mario is way too good of a ball player to give up on that easily... particularly if he is willing to accept a reasonable contract.

I respect your point of view but his performance last year was scary bad.

As you say, "maybe he now realizes..." Then again, maybe not.

Every contract is a gamble but how big a gamble are we willing to make on a guy who played poorly last year essentially by choice?

We currently have no cap money for FAs and draft picks. Under these circumstances, do we really want to commit millions to a maybe?

I respect your point of view but his performance last year was scary bad.

As you say, "maybe he now realizes..." Then again, maybe not.

Every contract is a gamble but how big a gamble are we willing to make on a guy who played poorly last year essentially by choice?

We currently have no cap money for FAs and draft picks. Under these circumstances, do we really want to commit millions to a maybe?

He led us in sacks.

Can he be effective in rex's system? if he takes a paycut down to 12 mil and save us 8 mil which we use towards glenn along with the clay restructure. What becomes our big need in the draft? Now if he restructures what does his dead cap become next season if we cut him then? Or could we do something like a 1 year extension at 5 mil and his new deal becomes 3 years 34 mil which is similar to what peppers and ware got.

Entertain the idea all you want, but they will not have Mario back. He cannot be trusted to perform his role with 100% effort on every play. Beyond that, they need the cap space to take care of other priorities namely Glenn and Incognito. Good Luck with your next team Mario.

Entertain the idea all you want, but they will not have Mario back. He cannot be trusted to perform his role with 100% effort on every play. Beyond that, they need the cap space to take care of other priorities namely Glenn and Incognito. Good Luck with your next team Mario.

I agree with all of this except the insinuation in your second sentence that Mario's effort is the root cause. I'm not saying he handled things perfectly, but the root cause was a coach coming in saying he would keep things the same and then changing them completely to a system which failed horribly. Mario should have kept playing hard despite the inevitable failure of the Rex defense. 100%. But doesn't it show a lack of effort on Rex's part that he stuck to a system that was clearly failing when it would have been viable to go back to something that had worked? Did Rex try hard enough? Many think Mario's effort was the cause of our downfall. I think it was a symptom. Mario was at fault for the individual symptom. This symptom will be gone in 2016 but the disease will still be here.

I agree with the last two sentences in your post wholeheartedly.

I agree with all of this except the insinuation in your second sentence that Mario's effort is the root cause. I'm not saying he handled things perfectly, but the root cause was a coach coming in saying he would keep things the same and then changing them completely to a system which failed horribly. Mario should have kept playing hard despite the inevitable failure of the Rex defense. 100%. But doesn't it show a lack of effort on Rex's part that he stuck to a system that was clearly failing when it would have been viable to go back to something that had worked? Did Rex try hard enough? Many think Mario's effort was the cause of our downfall. I think it was a symptom. Mario was at fault for the individual symptom. This symptom will be gone in 2016 but the disease will still be here.

I agree with the last two sentences in your post wholeheartedly.

I don't share your insistence that Rex's comments to the media left him beholden to do...anything...from a strategic standpoint.

I don't share your insistence that Rex's comments to the media left him beholden to do...anything...from a strategic standpoint.

Fair enough.

Of course he was probably pretty sure that the media would report the comments to the fans....another group to which he needn't be beholden. Even they they ultimately pay him and live and die with the team, he does not owe them anything.

Personally I find it odd to think he would lie for the sake of lying. Occum's Shaver would seem to point out that he was incapable from either an ego point of view or a brainpower point of view, to adjust. Thus we went from 1st to 31st.

Even if Rex had come right out with the truth and said he'd be putting in his system, wouldn't it still show a lack of effort on his part to stick with his system while its failure trashed our season and eroded the desire of the defense's top player?

hey when there's a chance you're going to be a free agent because you had a bad year you need to put a spin on it. blame the scheme, blame teammates, put a good look on it, make sure you tell the fans you want to be around. that way he doesn't leave the team looking like a guy who wasn't motivated to preform. even though his teammates have said so. also he's not going to get the money he got last time. it makes more sense for him to restructure. that way he can get more of that big remaining contract at least in a bonus. i do think that no matter what team he's on next year he's going to have a good year. because he will be motivated to perform.

YEP

Are you talking defense or offense here?

Here's what I'm trying to say, in an example.

Let's say the Bills game log looks like this:

Bills offense gets ball at 20 yardline

1st and 10 - EJ Manuel incomplete pass

2nd and 10 - EJ Manuel incomplete pass

3rd and 10 - EJ Manuel incomplete pass

4th and 10 - Punt to 20

Opponent gets ball at 20 yard line

Either goes 3 and out or punts eventually

The Bills Defense would get a point for the above scenario. Every drive, every game.

If the Bills offense gets a first down, the drive after is discounted. If the opposing team scores a TD, no points.

I don't know what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that if the Bills offense goes 3 and out, and then the Bills defense is out there for 9 minutes, and then the Bills offense goes 3 and out again, the defense shouldn't be penalized?