Josina Anderson: Mario open to pay cut to stay with Bills

YoloinOhio

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name a new coach who took a team with a 3+ year playoff drought who went to the playoffs with a first year quarterback.

The overall performance of the offense could have netted a playoff berth with ease had the defense not gone from practically first to practically worst. You know that this is true.

If he took our defense from #4 to say 8 and our sacks from #1 to say 5 or 10 instead of the trash we were subjected to, then we would have made the playoffs.

You can dislike Rex, you can also be objective and dislike a player who quits on his coach and "family". This thread is about Mario Williams and his comments about possibly staying in Buffalo. He is as good as gone and is just solidifying his stance against last years "faulty" scheme to explain his horrible effort level and lack of production. He has money at stake.

Are you surprised this is the most vocal he has been during his tenure in Buffalo? When his money is affected all the sudden he is concerned. Get out.

We are facing the serious possibility of cutting KW, he has been a leader and gave everything he had to his family. I will save my emotion for when that day comes, Mario can go pound sand with his farm equipment.

Who will win blame game 2016? Dareus? Gilmore? Hughes? Injuries? I'm sure it will be someone or something other than Rex for many on this board, but 2015 was his fault plain and simple.

The overall performance of the offense could have netted a playoff berth with ease had the defense not gone from practically first to practically worst. You know that this is true.

If he took our defense from #4 to say 8 and our sacks from #1 to say 5 or 10 instead of the trash we were subjected to, then we would have made the playoffs.

Who will win blame game 2016? Dareus? Gilmore? Hughes? Injuries? I'm sure it will be someone or something other than Rex for many on this board, but 2015 was his fault plain and simple.

Correct, it's never happened.

That juggernaut offense whom fell flat against the Giants and Titans in consecutive weeks and also failed to score more than 16 points against Dallas's reserves.

So we stop repeating this notion that the defense failed in the vacuum because we've convinced ourselves the offense was good enough to win.

The offense last year was good enough to win 9 games. Wasn't it? Is our offense better or worse this year?

Our offense in 2014 had a 3 and out % of 24.87. Our offense in 2015 had a 3 and out % of 26.88. Are you telling me that even though almost every single other statistic was better for the offense in 2015, and every single statistic was worse for the defense in 2015, that difference in 2% is what killed our season?

Better yet, show me it. We had 50 3 and outs in the 2015 season. 2% of 50 is 1. Show me which single 3 and out you take away and we win a game. Or which one you take out and we go to the playoffs? Because I can show you 30 plays that if resulted in sacks, we win a few more games.

Edited by FireChan

We won 2 of those 3 games.

So beating the Titans by scoring 13 points is being carries by the offense? What did the Titans finish last year 2-14? This was also the game that required Taylor to essentially go superman mode to win. Hardly a win for the offense, it was an embarrassment.

Then we scored 16 points against Dallas whom started Kellen Moore. His most note able on his list of accomplishments is being the backup to not only Brandon Weeden but Matt Cassel. He may qualify for the most qualified 4th stringer of all time. Again hardly an impressive win.

Edited by Commonsense

So beating the Titans by scoring 13 points is being carries by the offense? What did the Titans finish last year 2-14? This was also the game that required Taylor to essentially go superman mode to win. Hardly a win for the offense, it was an embarrassment.

Then we scored 16 points against Dalla whom started Kellen Moore. His most note able on his list of accomplishments is being he backup to not only Brandon Weeden but Matt Cassel. He may qualify for the most qualified 4th stringer of all time. Again hardly an impressive win.

Who said we were carried by our offense? I didn't read that anywhere.

we take at least a 7m hit whether he's here or not though I thought. So wonder what he's willing to do in a new deal. I originally thought he wouldn't agree to an extension. It could end up opening more cap space to keep him on a new deal than cutting him. Unless I'm not looking at the contract right.

The words pay cut would open up a host of options that a basic restructure wouldn't with regards to creating space.

The offense last year was good enough to win 9 games. Wasn't it? Is our offense better or worse this year?

Our offense in 2014 had a 3 and out % of 24.87. Our offense in 2015 had a 3 and out % of 26.88. Are you telling me that even though almost every single other statistic was better for the offense in 2015, and every single statistic was worse for the defense in 2015, that difference in 2% is what killed our season?

Better yet, show me it. We had 50 3 and outs in the 2015 season. 2% of 50 is 1. Show me which single 3 and out you take away and we win a game. Or which one you take out and we go to the playoffs? Because I can show you 30 plays that if resulted in sacks, we win a few more games.

I'd love to see your comparable analysis from 2014.

Please, go through each of the losses and see how the defense responded to extended runs of three and outs.

They responded poorly this year. I'd be curious to see how they responded to similar pressure the year prior.

My analysis from 2015 very clearly shows that games were lost during long stretches of offensive inactivity. That is due partly to the defense having lapses during those times, and we can chicken and egg that correlation all you want, but losses came because the offense never had swing backs to come back and win the games in which it created a deficit. The only exception was against the worst team in the league.

Edited by The Big Cat

I'd love to see your comparable analysis from 2014.

Please, go through each of the losses and see how the defense responded to extended runs of three and outs.

They responded poorly this year. I'd be curious to see how they responded to similar pressure the year prior.

Where was your comparable analysis when opining that the defense lost games because of the 3 and outs in 2015? I didn't see a single reference to 2014, as if 3 and outs didn't matter then.

It'll take me a minute to go through it. But if it's alright with you, I'll go through games that we won as well. Because I know we had games with streaks of garbage offense in 2014 that we pulled out a win in.

I thought you were piggy backing on his arguement that our offense could have carried us to the playoffs.

He didn't use the word carry either, and that's not what he said.

Edited by FireChan

Where was your comparable analysis when opining that the defense lost games because of the 3 and outs in 2015? I didn't see a single reference to 2014, as if 3 and outs didn't matter, then.

It'll take me a minute to go through it. But if it's alright with you, I'll go through games that we won as well. Because I know we had games with streaks of garbage offense in 2014 that we pulled out a win in.

I linked to it.

I linked to it.

2014 is not in that post.

Also, we need to hammer out the methodology before I dive in. Because yours, honestly, is pretty weak. Taking a data set of strictly losses, which, by definition, only include games our defense allowed more points than our offense scored? And you're going to tell me that it "proves" our ineffective offense hamstrung our defense? C'mon. That's not remotely fair.

Here's my proposed criteria. All 16 games from the 2014 and 2015 season. I'll tally up every time the offense went 3 and out and the defense held the other team to a punt. The scoring will be 2 for a punt/TO and 1 for forcing a FG. The defense gets zero points if they allow a TD drive. I will throw out every TD and FG allowed after an offensive TO, because I don't think it's very fair to hold either of those against the defense, and it should (hopefully) even out over the course of a season. I will make special note of instances where the defense "stood up" in a do or die moment (basically to end the game) in both instances, with contextual explanations.

Does that sound fair?

Edited by FireChan