good news on the ralph..

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What NFL and MLB teams share new stadiums anymore?

Oakland comes to mind (an old stadium) I don't know of others.

When stadium feasibility studies come and go, most of them pan "single team facilities" as unsustainable. I shouldn't have narrowed on MLB.

Edited by boater

Bigger than Bass Pro.. I suggest.

"Football only" downtown stadiums are failing economically for the tax payers paying their bonds. I dream of the day where a failed downtown stadium adds property tax to my mortgage [sarcasm].

If you can have a NFL team and a MLB team in the stadium, it will succeed financially. Obviously, that's not happening here.

Where has that succeeded financially?

I thought we couldn't get one because the NHL knows we're they're top US market in terms of TV ratings, etc..............So, they keep going to the lower markets to pump them up.

Huh? I can't find anything that puts them in the top 5. In fact, Pittsburgh dropped in viewership by 13% in the 14-15 season and STILL were the top viewer market---by far.

That same season, the Sabres dropped 24% in average ratings compared to the previous season--tied for the second highest drop in the NHL.

I think the general thought is /was valid. The NHL would more often try to put the ASG in non-traditional, upcoming/struggling markets to create buzz where it otherwise wasnt. They don't really have anything to gain putting it in Buffalo as we are relatively maxed-out. The "outdoor games" have become more of the bone to throw to 'traditional' markets.

Not only that, the ASG has become a large scale entertainment event in and around the host city. Nashville had various events staged throughout the city, which has many attractions, is "hip", and the weather isn't likely to be 10 degrees (although they had that winter storm a week prior). The next one has been scheduled for Los Angeles. Its not always the rule, but the league prefers the event where it is beneficial. Ottawa recently had one, and Montreal had one for their anniversary in (09?)... but other than that it has remained pretty consistently teams that didnt really exist prior to the 90s (Ottawa wasnt either but they are a different case). Los Angeles will now be hosting it for the 3rd time since Buffalo has.

I do think that Pegula has been asking, and it may be a matter of time. They will probably get some outdoor games, maybe as a tradoff. the 50th anniversary may be a possibility too.

Where has that succeeded financially?

Touche. I'm not aware of a urban palace stadium succeeding financially. Though, some urban planners suggest they do.

Buffalo context: take 8 home games, add a few half-attended preseason games, and at best 3 concerts a year--the only way the bonds are paid on the palace stadium is through taxpayer subsidy.

Those pics are perfect example for the "cold and sterile" most of us fear in a downtown stadium.

How is that design with all the glass on the exterior "cold and sterile"?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1536&bih=704&q=vikings+new+stadium&oq=vikings+&gs_l=img.1.1.0l10.892.3037.0.4539.8.8.0.0.0.0.186.798.1j5.6.0..2..0...1.1.64.img..2.6.796.j4X8RVmKpVg

Whoops the Roof is leaking to the tune of $4 million in repairs. I have never heard of an open air stadium roof leaking!

Whoops the Roof is leaking to the tune of $4 million in repairs. I have never heard of an open air stadium roof leaking!

what does that have to do with my post? Bills can't get a new stadium because they found a problem on Vikings?

Edited by nucci

As opposed to the unique "character" of the Ralph? Lol

Cold and colder. <_<

As for tailgating downtown there are more spaces than in Minny down Seneca and South Park, not to mention Ganson. Will they be as close as Hammer's? No but the long walk will help sober you up. The question isn't space, it's will the city legislate against it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Cold and colder. <_<

As for tailgating downtown there are more spaces than in Minny down Seneca and South Park, not to mention Ganson. Will they be as close as Hammer's? No but the long walk will help sober you up. The question isn't space, it's will the city legislate against it.

Some cities seem to prefer to that tailgating occur in bars and restaurants since they usually impose a supplemental sales tax in stadium district to help repay contribution to stadium or infrastructure costs. We did our tailgate for one of the Bills Ravens games in a bar due to difficulty getting tailgate space.