Visiting Buffalo Again: Questions

john_bult

So next season, my boss (who is a huge Jets fan, unfortunately) is only allowing me to go to one game and stay up here for 3-4 days in September. The reason why I created my thread on the excitement of home games next season is to see what home game I should attend next season in September. I plan on just going to the home opener. I live in the NY Metro Area, so I can really only do the 1 game. So I have a few questions on my second year going up to Buffalo:

1. In general, what is there to do in Buffalo? I am planning on leaving Friday morning and leaving Monday Morning so I will have Saturday to tour around. Last year when I went I arrived on Saturday Night and left after the game. But what are some fun things to do in Buffalo on Saturday? And yes, I am already planning to go up to Niagara Falls that Saturday when I go.

2. What are some other good restaurants? Last year I went to the 716 Bar at Harborcenter. While the bar was a very good atmosphere and the big tvs were cool, in my opinion the food wasn't the greatest. I will go there again probably, but what are some other good places for a nice dinner in Downtown? I remember seeing a place called Pearl Street Brewery when walking to the 716 Bar and is that place worth a try?

3. What is the best hotel for 3-4 nights? I stayed at the Adams Mark and was not impressed. It was fine for a one night stay, but other than that I didn't like it. I also thought of Harborcenter but that is too expensive in my opinion for my stay. Hotels I have been looking at are the Courtyard Marriott, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hyatt, and Hilton Garden Inn.

4. At night, I remember seeing this taxi that had a bar on it. Where could I find that "taxi."

http://www.buffaloeats.org/

buffalo-eats-top-banner.png

So next season, my boss (who is a huge Jets fan, unfortunately) is only allowing me to go to one game and stay up here for 3-4 days in September. The reason why I created my thread on the excitement of home games next season is to see what home game I should attend next season in September. I plan on just going to the home opener. I live in the NY Metro Area, so I can really only do the 1 game. So I have a few questions on my second year going up to Buffalo:
1. In general, what is there to do in Buffalo? I am planning on leaving Friday morning and leaving Monday Morning so I will have Saturday to tour around. Last year when I went I arrived on Saturday Night and left after the game. But what are some fun things to do in Buffalo on Saturday? And yes, I am already planning to go up to Niagara Falls that Saturday when I go.
2. What are some other good restaurants? Last year I went to the 716 Bar at Harborcenter. While the bar was a very good atmosphere and the big tvs were cool, in my opinion the food wasn't the greatest. I will go there again probably, but what are some other good places for a nice dinner in Downtown? I remember seeing a place called Pearl Street Brewery when walking to the 716 Bar and is that place worth a try?
3. What is the best hotel for 3-4 nights? I stayed at the Adams Mark and was not impressed. It was fine for a one night stay, but other than that I didn't like it. I also thought of Harborcenter but that is too expensive in my opinion for my stay. Hotels I have been looking at are the Courtyard Marriott, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hyatt, and Hilton Garden Inn.
4. At night, I remember seeing this taxi that had a bar on it. Where could I find that "taxi."

just stay at an inn, it's cheaper and who needs all that fancy stuff, just need a good bed and shower and it's all good

Hands down - Lofts on Pearl St. Your hotel room there is actually a two bedroom condo and is basically attached to the Pearl Street Grill. Just a ton of great restaurants in Buffalo, and lots to do downtown, including canal side, Riverworks etc etc etc

Buffalo has the best restaurants ever...too many to list. I would use Yelp to find some near whatever hotel you pick. I find the Yelp reviews pretty helpful.

Also there is a wide variety of national or ethnic restaurants, if you have an interest in a region or country. I usually go Italian, this week I'm going to try and find some German.

If you're flying in, there is a really good sandwich shop 1minute off the airport. Charlie the Butcher, at the intersection of Werhle Drive and Cayuga Road. It appears as a shack, but it's really good. You could make that the last stop before you turn in the car.

Edited by boater

Allen got kind of trashy, chippewa seems to be trending more in an upscale direction. Bar-wise, Hertel seems to be stepping up their game. There is a good place to eat.. Cheap or upscale... no matter where you go in Buffalo at this point. Pearl st. is OK, but the food never blows me away. I'm with boater, just check out yelp for whatever you're in the mood for and take a cab or something. No uber's, but cabs are really cheap.

There are a few nice downtown spots hotel-wise that are all really affordable. I liked the Embassy suites more than the hyatt.

If you like beer there's a ton of new breweries that have popped up, literally in like every suburb as well as in different areas in buffalo. They close kind of early, but its a neat atmosphere to drink in.

Buffalo has the best restaurants ever...too many to list. I would use Yelp to find some near whatever hotel you pick. I find the Yelp reviews pretty helpful.

Also there is a wide variety of national or ethnic restaurants, if you have an interest in a region or country. I usually go Italian, this week I'm going to try and find some German.

If you're flying in, there is a really good sandwich shop 1minute off the airport. Charlie the Butcher, at the intersection of Werhle Drive and Cayuga Road. It appears as a shack, but it's really good. You could make that the last stop before you turn in the car.

Gotta love the Buffalo homerism but 'best restaurants ever'??? I think you might change your opinion if you spend time exploring the restaurant scenes in San Fran, LA, Chicago or NYC.

JB is from the NY Metro area; he has access to better ethnic restaurants there than he can find in Buffalo. I would recommend Buffalo landmarks instead like wings at the Anchor Bar or Duffs.

For things to do, my recommendations would follow a similar line of thought with places that are uniquely Buffalo:

Niagara Falls for natural beauty.

The Pierce Arrow museum if you like historic cars.

The Frank Lloyd Wright Darwin Martin House if you're into architecture. (The Ellicott Square Bldg is also good for architecture fans).

The Wilcox House (where Teddy Roosevelt was sworn in as POTUS) if you like presidential history.

The Albright-Know Art Gallery if you're into modern art.

There's a pretty good gift shop at the Ralph for all your Bills gear.

If you're into upscale restaurants, Buffalo's selection isn't great but prices are often cheaper than you'd find in bigger cities.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I love my hometown as much as anyone but maintain some perspective on the restaurants. There are some great ones but we aren't the best in the world.

If you're into upscale restaurants, Buffalo's selection isn't great but prices are often cheaper than you'd find in bigger cities.

How does Tempo or the Chop House compare? I've heard Left Bank is excellent. Edited by PromoTheRobot

http://www.yelp.com/biz/charlie-the-butchers-buffalo

If you can get in, the Mansion on Delaware. The place rocks. Plus they will drive you within 3-4 miles of the place any restaurant / bar. Adams Mark is one of the lesser hotels downtown and that's being nice. Chop House, EB Greens, Left Bank as PTR said. Left Bank isn't near the high end pricing the others are. I would definitely go there. Chefs too. Allen Burger Venture. Lastly Cantina Loco. Pearl Street...........ehhh

Hampton on Delaware ave.

Agreed on this one. It's one of the nicest Hamptons. Book early as it generally sells out for games. Right by Chippawa St.

Duff's is a must. And Schwabl's for weck.

Also agree. You must go to Duff's, and get Beef on Weck. Also, I recommend Dinosaur BBQ--which can also be purchased at the game. By far the best BBQ in the north.