Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

He played with a first ballot hall of famer. He didn't get first ballot HOF play, but having Peyton run your O invokes a strong sense of confidence in the D I am sure. And, truly, Wade is a way better D coordinator than Thurman and Rex combined. He understood the players and fit the scheme, something that Rex purportedly does, but really doesn't.

It invoked so much confidence that he was benched in favor or Brock Osweiler. His playoff run was less than mediocre.

With play as bad as Manning's this year, the D developed a strong sense of confidence by necessity.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're not seeing the point if Mario was not beating blockers AND not giving effort wouldn't anyone be better? Wouldn't a good coach do something about it?

Then your argument has become: he must be good because the coach who's not smart enough to make good decisions made the decision to keep him in.

you're not seeing the point if Mario was not beating blockers AND not giving effort wouldn't anyone be better? Wouldn't a good coach do something about it?

The point is not that Mario is completely awful, it's that he can not make what he is going to make next year and must be released.

People saying that it's Rex's fault that Mario wasn't the same player as last year clearly didn't watch Mario. He was however better than the scrubs on the bench

I was referring to Wade/Houston in 2011.

oh - got it. I just don't understand why I've seen some people say Rex needed to change the scheme to fit Mario. It already fit him. He just didn't like it. Rex is paid to win games, not pacify whiny millionaires. He saw Mario and assumed he would fit in a certain role in the scheme well and proceeded with that. Maybe if Mario had bought in, they could have won a couple more. Edited by YoloinOhio

Did anybody ever do an official count of how many times Mario Williams was singled against a RT and could not beat his man? It seemed like the entire season, although he had to deal with chips from TE's and RB's now and then like any NFL DE.

My unofficial count is 75% of the plays he was asked to play the same role as he was the previous year, beat the guy in front of you, pressure the qb, push the pocket, stop the run, try to anticipate the screen play.

He plays the screen's excellent, as good as Kyle. Other than that, the dude was invisible.

This whole whining about dropping into coverage (like the play in the superbowl where Peyton got picked by a dropping DE), is getting overblown.

The nice thing about Mario's situation is someone will pick him up and we'll see if it was scheme or player.

I think it was the player, but as long as he goes the the NFC I'm rooting for the big fella.

oh - got it. I just don't understand why I've seen some people say Rex needed to change the scheme to fit Mario. It already fit him. He just didn't like it. Rex is paid to win games, not pacify whiny millionaires. He saw Mario and assumed he would fit in a certain role in the scheme well and proceeded with that. Maybe if Mario had bought in, they could have won a couple more.

What scheme fit Mario? It changes every time we have this discussion.

i think he would have been released regardless. Cap casualty.

@michaeldavsmith

When Mario Williams signed it was reported as a six-year, $96M deal. When he's cut it will actually have been a four-year, $64M deal.

I agree he was getting released regardless. Probably when we resigned Dareus it was done because we need the money to resign our own this offseason.

The only way he stayed was if he restructured and he would of had to play exponentially better to entertain that on managements end. This was a no brainer!

I don't like Rex or believe in him. But, this isn't on Rex let alone a nsil in his coffin.

I would say this is great for the Bills, but, it was coming and necessary. I would of been shocked if he was on our team next year.

I agree he was getting released regardless. Probably when we resigned Dareus it was done because we need the money to resign our own this offseason.

The only way he stayed was if he restructured and he would of had to play exponentially better to entertain that on managements end. This was a no brainer!

I don't like Rex or believe in him. But, this isn't on Rex let alone a nsil in his coffin.

I would say this is great for the Bills, but, it was coming and necessary. I would of been shocked if he was on our team next year.

Going into last season, the plan was--as I understand it--to give Mario a new contract this offseason as long as he continued to produce.

When that didn't happen, the situation changed.

Rex's scheme is in fact a good fit him, he just didn't want to do what it took to make it work.

@christrapasso

At MW's size w/ power & minimal burst, he's ideal SDE in Rex's D. But MW doesn't want the role & can't pay SDE $20M.

May have been mad about his role, but burst was nonexistent this yr. Good run-stop DE. Not a 10-15 sack guy anymore.

Good stuff. Mario stinks now, based upon the evidence of the past season. Maybe he improves, but I saw a pathetic burst this year (not that he has ever had a really great one).

Hard to do given that Carrington went down mid-season and IK stinks. Plus they were missing Wynn and Williams. The depth was nonexistent after Carrington. Who plays instead?

That is absolutely not true. Ware had a back injury. Look it up.

Mario had a foot injury.

There was debate whether it was the injury or that he lost a step. And they cut him after a down year (career worst, IIRC).

Barring injury, I would put money on Mario getting 10+ sacks next year.

Edited by FireChan

Mario had a foot injury.

There was debate whether it was the injury or that he lost a step. And they cut him after a down year (career worst, IIRC).

Barring injury, I would put money on Mario getting 10+ sacks next year.

He stunk before the foot injury, which happened late in the season.

Im thinking this MW situation is too far gone to be resolved.

Even if some how Rex altered the defense to fit Mario's "scheme" I think too much has been said and reported for everyone to go back to business as usual

CBF

i think it's really more about money, age, production. Mario has been a good player and citizen, he had a down year, now past his prime and can't justify the cap hit, he's replaceable at the level he's playing it regardless of what excuse he uses. Mo Wilkerson found a way to be all pro in this very scheme. That is the type of guy worth the contract Mario wants/has. Hes serviceable as a run stopper but not worth the money as it stands and it takes both parties to want to stay together to work a cap-assisting extension. His disruption in the media likely the icing on the cake. Edited by YoloinOhio

I hate the "his production doesn't match his pay" line of "reasoning" in this case. Mario performed at a very high level when utilized properly. It could be argued (and I have) that he was a little overcompensated, but his lack of production this past year was utilization related. The best coaches mold their schemes to fit talent/personnel and we sure didn't see that with Mario or the defense in general last season.

His release (when it inevitably happens) is going to be spun as an indictment of Mario, but it really should be seen as a coaching failure. The front office made their choices last offseason. They signed Clay, Shady and Hughes to huge deals and there's only so much money to go around. In fact, it's certainly possible that the coaches didn't tailor their scheme to fit Mario because they'd already decided he was gone after 2015. Regardless of his (mis)utilization last season, the Bills will be losing a lot of talent when he exits.

I totally agree with this and to me, it is startling just how few Bills fans can really see or understand how the man was misused in Ryan's scheme or completely ignore that the Bills coaches themselves were happy, content with Mario's play all year. They even stated that they were happy that Mario was in pass coverage so the linebacker could get a hit on the QB to disrupt the play, and to my dismay, that lone hit was the only time the Bills defense touched the QB all game long.

Plus the fact that the #3 overall pick, hell on wheels DT was complaining about how he was being utilized since training camp and after a few games Mario joined him in being publically vocal about how he was being utilized too. Bills fans just rack this up with players being selfish and not buying into the scheme.

Anyway, I've posted this link in the past and its a good read for those that actually want to understand what was happening on the field. http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/21/9581575/mario-williams-marcell-dareus-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-defense