Not sure how trustable, but report says we've released Mario

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't state it any better than BarleyNY above.

It's our collective tortured Bills fan mentality that says if we do X, then we'll have to compensate by doing Y. We could theoretically have kept Mario and re-signed our key free agents if the powers that be didn't spend like drunken sailors last off-season.

what could have been done last off-season is no longer reality today. The reality is what can be done now. So it's not between the coach or Mario IMO. It's Mario's contract vs what we can do with the cap space freed up by thanking him for his service. I'll take the latter and a rookie pass rusher who can do what he's asked with actual explosiveness. IMO it doesn't matter who the coach is. His cap number is too high for what he's bringing to the table, and a restructure offers no relief even if he was open to it. Edited by YoloinOhio

He also brought some serious credibility to potential FA's.

Holy Smokes Mario Williams went there? Maybe there is something to Buffalo....

How about "holy smokes, they paid Mario WHATT??"

Anyway, do we measure the boom or bust of his contract based on his personal stats or on how he impacted the D and the team's outcome with him on the roster?

How about "holy smokes, they paid Mario WHATT??"

Anyway, do we measure the boom or bust of his contract based on his personal stats or on how he impacted the D and the team's outcome with him on the roster?

did we win the super bowl?

Not directed at anyone in particular, but yes I am serious. The point wasn't that he isn't a good player. Put in proper context that money spent on DLmen doesn't work in the NFL salary cap structure. Did we win?make the playoffs?the super bowl? win a playoff game? The money SHOULD have been spent on other resources. He doesn't produce and impact the game at the level I feel someone taking up that amount of cap should.

Edited by The Thurmanator

Not directed at anyone in particular, but yes I am serious. The point wasn't that he isn't a good player. Put in proper context that money spent on DLmen doesn't work in the NFL salary cap structure. Did we win?make the playoffs?the super bowl? win a playoff game? The money SHOULD have been spent on other resources. He doesn't produce and impact the game at the level I feel someone taking up that amount of cap should.

I think he was a good player. I don't think he is anymore. Tape don't lie.

As someone who enjoys watching the game of football, I can not be this forgiving.

In Buffalo we have endured horrible football from "the home team" for almost a full decade and a half. I could care less about the owner's super inflated ego or the mega ego of the head coach he hired. I don't care if it is a "bad look" for his ego to fire a head coach who in just one year destroyed a top tier defense because of his own super ego. True football professionals respect just one thing, how successful are you at putting a winning team on the field. The money guys of the business just care about the bottom line. Ego is not about winning or loosing, or making money, it is all about the "I".

To me an owner should have some type of responsibility to the community and the fans to create the best possible product on the field, while still making a reasonable profit.

I don't give Pegula a pass just because he kept the team in Buffalo for at least a few years more. I still expect a real effort to put the best team on the field for the fans and the community each and every year.

I agree with this. The 49ers saw their mistake and corrected it right away. Granted 8-8 is better than 5-11 but then look at who the Bills beat over the season and it should make the decision for change so much easier.

This team keeps making these grabs for high priced free agents because they fail to find them in the draft. The Bills needed a pass rusher since Aaron Schobel retired after the 2009 season. Aaron Maybin ring any bells? So, 100 Million for as DE was a stab to find another Bruce Smith, and they found him! Only to see him ruined this year in the wrong scheme. Imagine how vocal Bruce would have been being used as a gap control player.

Someone mentioned finding someone in the draft to replace Mario Williams or Cordy Glenn and I'll be shocked if they actually find the talent at either position to do that. Looking back, I think the Bills were exceedingly lucky to find Glenn with a #2 pick considering the O-line players drafted since.

There are real reasons this team spent 100 million on Mario or excessive money for an RB (Shady), TE (Clay)and 3 draft picks for a WR including two first rounders when they could have stayed pat and gotten an equal or better player. This without an already established franchise QB on the roster. OTOH, if they couldn't trade up for Sammy I now recall the Bills were going to draft TE Eric Ebron :sick: Right?

Bottom line: this team needs more than just a new HC. These new owners started off on the right foot thinking of hiring a senior NFL adviser / football czar and or a president of football operations and then they didn't.

When Rex hired Rob, it became evident to me the he's certain he and staff will not be retained. He's positive he can't coach to the level of the competition.

They probably made a secret deal for Rob to give Rex a big portion of his salary when they're released a year from now.

I think we should run with this one. I bet we can get it turned into a fact in less than a week.

I agree with this. The 49ers saw their mistake and corrected it right away. Granted 8-8 is better than 5-11 but then look at who the Bills beat over the season and it should make the decision for change so much easier.

This team keeps making these grabs for high priced free agents because they fail to find them in the draft. The Bills needed a pass rusher since Aaron Schobel retired after the 2009 season. Aaron Maybin ring any bells? So, 100 Million for as DE was a stab to find another Bruce Smith, and they found him! Only to see him ruined this year in the wrong scheme. Imagine how vocal Bruce would have been being used as a gap control player.

Someone mentioned finding someone in the draft to replace Mario Williams or Cordy Glenn and I'll be shocked if they actually find the talent at either position to do that. Looking back, I think the Bills were exceedingly lucky to find Glenn with a #2 pick considering the O-line players drafted since.

There are real reasons this team spent 100 million on Mario or excessive money for an RB (Shady), TE (Clay)and 3 draft picks for a WR including two first rounders when they could have stayed pat and gotten an equal or better player. This without an already established franchise QB on the roster. OTOH, if they couldn't trade up for Sammy I now recall the Bills were going to draft TE Eric Ebron :sick: Right?

Bottom line: this team needs more than just a new HC. These new owners started off on the right foot thinking of hiring a senior NFL adviser / football czar and or a president of football operations and then they didn't.

please don't compare Mario to Bruce that's just wrong.

He hasn't been cut. Yet.

The truth is, when one looks at the Bills salary cap, it is hard to see that they have any choice but to cut Mario Williams this year.

That he had a poor year in terms of on-the-field production peppered with critique of the defensive scheme merely makes it easier

I question whether some of the "anonymous" reports of "checking out" aren't intended to "scapegoat" him and justify a cut which is necessitated by hard business reasons, because 1) scapegoating anyone makes me uncomfortable and 2) when someone has previously been successful in any field, and with a change of bosses is no longer successful, I think it's fair to tag the bosses a bit for failing to enable their success

But the fact remains that we need his $12.9M cap savings to have a prayer to sign Incognito and Glenn

Edited by Hopeful

The truth is, when one looks at the Bills salary cap, it is hard to see that they have any choice but to cut Mario Williams this year.

That he had a poor year in terms of on-the-field production peppered with critique of the defensive scheme merely makes it easier

I question whether some of the "anonymous" reports of "checking out" aren't intended to "scapegoat" him and justify a cut which is necessitated by hard business reasons, because 1) scapegoating anyone makes me uncomfortable and 2) when someone has previously been successful in any field, and with a change of bosses is no longer successful, I think it's fair to tag the bosses a bit for failing to enable their success

But the fact remains that we need his $12.9M cap savings to have a prayer to sign Incognito and Glenn

Weren't teammates the source for the "quitting on us" stuff?