This superbowl sucked? Really? Wow! Silly me!

If I was a Denver or Carolina fan it would've been 4 hours of pure torture with all of the turnovers and near turn-overs.

But I'm not and I thought it was a very entertaining game from the beginning to (just about) the end. A lot of people point to last year and while the second half was great I though the first half was like watching paint dry.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gug, you know better than this. Sure, Carolina's defense was having its way with Peyton, but the little things that casual observers don't see were at play as well. Changing out of and into different plays at the line, noticing a Panther DB hobble off the field the previous play, fighting the little fights to assure his punter would continue the winning battle of field position. 19 year HOF career does show itself in every game, even if the San Fran skies weren't lit up by an aerial display. Cam? Sandlot Sensation with the football acumen of a school bully.

I understand all of that, but right now Peyton Manning is probably the worst starting QB in the league. This is why I didn't enjoy this game remotely. I have no problem with a defensive battle, but this didn't feel like a two sided defensive battle to me. Denver's D was dominant, but I can't say the same for Carolina's. The Panthers D didn't have to do anything expect step onto the field. This Denver offense with Peyton can't do anything against anyone. It's hard to say the Panthers D was spectacular. I can appreciate a defensive battle when I see two defenses shut down two offenses that can make plays. The Denver offense is almost incapable of making big plays. I was impressed with what Von Miller and Denver's D did to Newton though. They did the same thing to Brady two weeks before. However, I didn't consider this a defensive battle. I considered this game as one team completely dominating. If Denver had any offense this could have and should have been a total blowout. It never felt like Carolina had a chance. Therefore I didn't consider this very exciting at all.

I loved the game. I like defensive grinders.

To me, the idea that a game can't be exciting unless two team put up 60+ points is at least partially responsible for the general decrease in overall quality play. I kept hearing about how mediocre 75% of the league looks. This is what we reap.

It's cause and effect.

Fans say they want more points, so the league adds protections to QBS and WRs and agressively calls DPI and roughing the passer. Points go up, and people have to win shoot outs. QB play is the biggest factor in shoot outs. As a result teams scramble to get the best QB possible and neglect other positions. Players are massively overdrafted in the hopes they'll be the franchise savior. Average QB'S get massive amounts of money thrown at them.

That is how Ryan Tannehill gets $19.25 million a year. That is how Ryan Fitzpatrick and Sam Bradford become the hottest names in free agency.

I loved the game. I like defensive grinders.

To me, the idea that a game can't be exciting unless two team put up 60+ points is at least partially responsible for the general decrease in overall quality play. I kept hearing about how mediocre 75% of the league looks. This is what we reap.

It's cause and effect.

Fans say they want more points, so the league adds protections to QBS and WRs and agressively calls DPI and roughing the passer. Points go up, and people have to win shoot outs. QB play is the biggest factor in shoot outs. As a result teams scramble to get the best QB possible and neglect other positions. Players are massively overdrafted in the hopes they'll be the franchise savior. Average QB'S get massive amounts of money thrown at them.

That is how Ryan Tannehill gets $19.25 million a year. That is how Ryan Fitzpatrick and Sam Bradford become the hottest names in free agency.

It's a more general belief that points equals excitement. In the US, basketball's popular. So's football. Baseball, less so. Hockey, not really. Soccer? Forget it.

Gug, you know better than this. Sure, Carolina's defense was having its way with Peyton, but the little things that casual observers don't see were at play as well. Changing out of and into different plays at the line, noticing a Panther DB hobble off the field the previous play, fighting the little fights to assure his punter would continue the winning battle of field position. 19 year HOF career does show itself in every game, even if the San Fran skies weren't lit up by an aerial display. Cam? Sandlot Sensation with the football acumen of a school bully.

I totally get what you're saying and I do agree that the defenses both had something to do with each QB's struggles.

I guess I'm just saying that it would have been more enjoyable if the Carolina D was shutting down a decent QB. And Cam Newton made a lot of unforced errors, in addition to succumbing to the pressure of that amazing defense.

Watching Denver shut down Brady/NE was far more impressive to me.

Also, admittedly, I wasn't able to sit down and actually watch the game until the last minutes of the 4th quarter. We had company and I bit off a little more than I could chew with the food offerings. Add a 3-year-old (part of the company) running around/getting into schit into the mix, and it was difficult to focus on football for a good portion of the game.

But yes ... I do appreciate awesome defense. All I ever want out of a Super Bowl is for the best two teams in the league to each play their A games. I think both defenses played their A games; Carolina's offense brought their C game and Denver's offense got an F+. I just expected better all around football, that's all.

As for the refs, the clearly screwed the Panthers on that first challenge on the catch. Everyone on the planet watching the replay could see that the ball never touched the ground---except the boys back in New York. Instead---call stands, lose a TO, lose a challenge....and then sack/fumble/TD and the game changed irreversibly from there.

What? This was discussed heavily at the party I was at and I don't agree. When the receiver rolled over the ball clearly hit the ground and then popped up. Yes he maintained possession but I saw why it was called the way it was.

I totally get what you're saying and I do agree that the defenses both had something to do with each QB's struggles.

I guess I'm just saying that it would have been more enjoyable if the Carolina D was shutting down a decent QB. And Cam Newton made a lot of unforced errors, in addition to succumbing to the pressure of that amazing defense.

Watching Denver shut down Brady/NE was far more impressive to me.

Also, admittedly, I wasn't able to sit down and actually watch the game until the last minutes of the 4th quarter. We had company and I bit off a little more than I could chew with the food offerings. Add a 3-year-old (part of the company) running around/getting into schit into the mix, and it was difficult to focus on football for a good portion of the game.

But yes ... I do appreciate awesome defense. All I ever want out of a Super Bowl is for the best two teams in the league to each play their A games. I think both defenses played their A games; Carolina's offense brought their C game and Denver's offense got an F+. I just expected better all around football, that's all.

This ^ I thought the AFC championship game was far better. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it really difficult watching Manning as a shell of his former self. It's just brutal to watch. Aside from Von Miller's strip sack I felt like this game lacked any individual greatness. If you all want to watch a great defensive Super Bowl, watch the Pats* vs Giants first matchup. We got to see a defense shut down an all time great offense. We didn't see any greatness in this game. We saw Newton act like a baby, and Peyton Manning as shell of his former self. The only point you make that I may disagree with is that Carolina's D played an A game. I think they deserve an A, but honesty Denver's offense is so bad any defense could have done the same. We don't really know how well they did play due to the level of competition. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

This ^ I thought the AFC championship game was far better. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it really difficult watching Manning as a shell of his former self. It's just brutal to watch. Aside from Von Miller's strip sack I felt like this game lacked any individual greatness. If you all want to watch a great defensive Super Bowl, watch the Pats* vs Giants first matchup. We got to see a defense shut down an all time great offense. We didn't see any greatness in this game. We saw Newton act like a baby, and Peyton Manning as shell of his former self.

Followed by making out with Papa John just before shilling for Bud.

It's a more general belief that points equals excitement. In the US, basketball's popular. So's football. Baseball, less so. Hockey, not really. Soccer? Forget it.

true. but not too many basketball games one needs to watch anymore other than the last five minutes. Watching a whole NBA game is a waste IMO.

As for SB fifty. it was Good unless you had a serious rooting interest. Poor quarterbacking? Yes, But Philps D was a thing of beauty. He is very tuned in too defensing the modern era Passing game and mobile QB. Points in that game didn't matter. Peyton paid off quite well.

Won a whole 20 bucks.

The thing this game had going for it was that right up until the last Panthers possession and subsequent fumble by Cam pretty much every fan watching was expecting them to put together a drive to take the lead there.

The Panthers did drive the ball a few times but made mistakes/Denver defense made plays when it counted deep in their own territory.

The Panthers were never out of it and a couple of plays from Cam at any time would have turned that game around quickly.

Great Superbowl. One of the best IMO (top 25% anyway). Thought it funny that the talking heads (Faulk, Michael Irvin etc...) were all wondering whether the expected blowout of the Broncos would be big enuf to raise the Question whether the Panthers were the best team ever. I guess they are now amusing themselves with the question whether the Broncos D ranks with the 85 Bears.

Hate to admit it, but this game shows me just how good Brady, Gronk & Co really are. They had that #1 rated D on the ropes.

The thing this game had going for it was that right up until the last Panthers possession and subsequent fumble by Cam pretty much every fan watching was expecting them to put together a drive to take the lead there.

The Panthers did drive the ball a few times but made mistakes/Denver defense made plays when it counted deep in their own territory.

The Panthers were never out of it and a couple of plays from Cam at any time would have turned that game around quickly.

Expecting? No, sir. Hoping. And that's why this was not a great Super Bowl. Fans were hoping somebody would show up and play offense, and nobody did.

Now, if Cam actually had led the Panthers down the field in the 4th quarter to win the game? Great Super Bowl.

I hate being lumped into the "casual fan" crowd who only likes points and offense because that is so not me. This Super Bowl was not a great game.

Believe it or not, baseball is far more popular than basketball. It ain't even close. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

The NBA's popularity is a bit of a myth.

But the Panthers team I watched all year did not show up in this game whatsoever...

they played no one. they did not face any good linebackers all season. they didn't face anyone able to pressure the quarterback, either. houston came close.

the panthers got exposed by the broncos.

fortunately for the panthers, few teams have one good linebacker to begin with. they'll do well next year

next year it will be about the same.
the Chiefs and Vikings at carolina - both are rising teams
away they travel to Denver and seattle. that will not be easy, but they will want revenge for denver, and seattle could depend on when they play each other. they may open the season against denver. that would be what i expect.

Expecting? No, sir. Hoping. And that's why this was not a great Super Bowl. Fans were hoping somebody would show up and play offense, and nobody did.

Now, if Cam actually had led the Panthers down the field in the 4th quarter to win the game? Great Super Bowl.

I hate being lumped into the "casual fan" crowd who only likes points and offense because that is so not me. This Super Bowl was not a great game.

Agreed. I love defense (favorite player was Bruce).

But watching manning throw ducks and panther receivers drop balls and fullbacks fumble, and kickers miss FGs, and a ST gaffe punt return, and bad officiating in a game that already involves two "bland" teams-- not fun for casual and serious fans.