This superbowl sucked? Really? Wow! Silly me!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone says they love a defensive battle until it actually happens.

A defensive battle is one thing.

But when one defense is going up against an over the hill QB who absolutely sucked for 98% of the game, and the other is going up against a QB who couldn't get out of his own way for most of the game, it's not as simple as being a good defensive battle.

I loved the clinic that the Denver D put on. But it was a boring, sloppy game, in my opinion and I'm not upset that I was busy in the kitchen for a lot of it.

The casual fan is going to be bored by that game. They want offense which they can get excited about. Three plays, even three well done defensive plays, and a punt not so much.

It was on TV where I was, but I honestly didn't pay much attention. I am happy though that Manning can now go out on top.

More and more people seem to be just casual fans of football anymore.

My comment was a bit over the top but I think it's implicit. The message seems to be that the unwashed masses only want big plays and TDs, and if you can't enjoy a defensive battle you don't really appreciate the game.

This game was "suspenseful" in that nobody could score so it was close to the end -- and I appreciate that -- but it wasn't "beautiful" to watch both teams fail on 86% of 3rd down opportunities. It was a combination of great defense and some really inept offense.

As I said up thread, the game had very little intrigue after halftime because neither team gave evidence of being able to move the ball and score if it really mattered.

It was not a beautiful game, but, IMO, it was a compelling game for several reasons that you are too shallow to comprehend.

I keed, I keed.

But when one defense is going up against an over the hill QB who absolutely sucked for 98% of the game, and the other is going up against a QB who couldn't get out of his own way for most of the game, it's not as simple as being a good defensive battle.

I loved the clinic that the Denver D put on. But it was a boring, sloppy game, in my opinion and I'm not upset that I was busy in the kitchen for a lot of it.

These statements contradict each other. Did Cam get in his own way or did the Denver D put on a clinic?

Consider the source. That's certainly one of the websites that was furiously pumping the 'No one likes Cam because they're raysis' stories last week and are now all sad because he laid an egg instead of triumphing over the old guard. So all they have left is to deride the game as boring and drab.....because of course, watching Newton do his Superman dance six times in a Carolina blowout would have been exciting and refreshing. :rolleyes:

When they rank the 50 SBs in order of entertainment level this one is in the bottom third for sure.

No way....you're forgetting there were a ton of dud games in the SB in the 70s and 80s (and 3 of the 4 that involved the Bills). This one was probably right about in the middle.

If people want offensive excitement, just show Tom Brady throwing bombs to OBJ all day. There doesn't even have to be contact or defense involved. Football is more than just big plays. It's a story of two teams vying for glory. A battle.

Gug, you know better than this. Sure, Carolina's defense was having its way with Peyton, but the little things that casual observers don't see were at play as well. Changing out of and into different plays at the line, noticing a Panther DB hobble off the field the previous play, fighting the little fights to assure his punter would continue the winning battle of field position. 19 year HOF career does show itself in every game, even if the San Fran skies weren't lit up by an aerial display. Cam? Sandlot Sensation with the football acumen of a school bully.

I thought it was horrible game, From the commercials right though to the officials and (5 turn overs and 14 penalties) when I turned it off during the half time show...

Why the NFL cant put officials on the field that can tell a reception from a drop is Beyond me.. they loose any credibility when even using replay they cant get the call right. I'm glad Denver won but no regrets turning it off... major stinker of a game....

i remember in the early-mid 80's i saw Dwight Gooden pitch against Nolan Ryan, something like 1-0 or 2-1, whatever...a real snooze fest of a game.....until years later when I woke up and realized what I had actually seen, 2 of the greatest pitchers of (all) that time, pitching a masterpiece of a game.... sadly memories are wasted on the present.

Everyone says they love a defensive battle until it actually happens.

i remember in the early-mid 80's i saw Dwight Gooden pitch against Nolan Ryan, something like 1-0 or 2-1, whatever...a real snooze fest of a game.....until years later when I woke up and realized what I had actually seen, 2 of the greatest pitchers of (all) that time, pitching a masterpiece of a game.... sadly memories are wasted on the present.

Oh, I love me a pitchers' duel. And I also love small ball. I know this is off topic, but I really hope they never put the DH into the National League model. I keep hearing it more and more and I think it will be a sad day for baseball.