Yet another fine effort by Ty Dunne...re: the D

eball

So they are ALL below average ("horrible", actually) except........Rex, who is now slightly better than average. In other words, by your logic, he is the best gameday manager in the league.

Wow. You have reached the point where you will say anything with in efforts to find praise for Rex.

It's not my fault you can't follow.

Put another way, if you were to line up all the midgets, shortest to tallest, Rex would probably come in around 12th tallest.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not my fault you can't follow.

Put another way, if you were to line up all the midgets, shortest to tallest, Rex would probably come in around 12th tallest.

It's not my fault that your penchant for hyperbole has made you again say something that makes no sense (they are "all below average").

It's not my fault that your penchant for hyperbole has made you again say something that makes no sense (they are "all below average").

Perhaps rating coaches is much like rating QBs

You have your big 3 or 4

Then the next level

Then a whole bunch of crap

Now here is the interesting thing....I BELIEVE that how a head coach is looked at often falls to how good his offensive, defensive, and special teams coordinator's do.

Because often the HC is more of a delegator and only makes the final decisions on most things......I thought that Rex actually wised up a big in selecting a pretty good coordinator in Greg Roman who turned in the number 1 rushing team in the league for us......

Now....on defense? I cant defend that and only hope that in Rex second year he improves. Since that is supposed to be his side of the ball I really hope so.

This is such a dead horse.

Ha. Yeah. Blessed is the man/woman who can make one of those things look good. Didn't help that mine got pulled back on my forehead there. Yikes.

:wub:

Had to wait a season for 6 to free up.

i also like the way you shave your chest. :D

Guys a bit of vinegar on this thread. Not sure why guys take their football opinions which everyone has a right even if we disagree into personal attacks.

I'm so inclined to blame everyone meaning Rex for a poor coaching scheme, and the players for playing so undisciplined and as well is a reflection of Rex. Right now, I'm trying to take a step back, take a longer view, hope Cowher and Scott are right, and we get better with time in the new system. My gut is Rex is too rigid though, and great coaches like Wade as a DC truly adjust their defense to the players talents. Rex did none of this year.

Again, we'll see next year. if no progress, then we'll know all of the TSW editorials are right including my emotional comments. Pegulas did the right thing though and not have a knee jerk reaction after one year. We'll turn into the Browns as we're not far behind.

Guys a bit of vinegar on this thread. Not sure why guys take their football opinions which everyone has a right even if we disagree into personal attacks.

I'm so inclined to blame everyone meaning Rex for a poor coaching scheme, and the players for playing so undisciplined and as well is a reflection of Rex. Right now, I'm trying to take a step back, take a longer view, hope Cowher and Scott are right, and we get better with time in the new system. My gut is Rex is too rigid though, and great coaches like Wade as a DC truly adjust their defense to the players talents. Rex did none of this year.

Again, we'll see next year. if no progress, then we'll know all of the TSW editorials are right including my emotional comments. Pegulas did the right thing though and not have a knee jerk reaction after one year. We'll turn into the Browns as we're not far behind.

Excellent post. Thanks. Edited by MDFan

X's and the O O O's they haunt me.... NOW we know the real problem. Rex said "let's review the X's and O's for our game plan" and the team all went trolling for tunes on their smartphones.

Why didn't we have questions about discipline and football IQ last year? Did I just sleep through that part?

Yes, this is why they had to switch from playbooks to iPads.

Re: discipline, because Marrone was a power-tripping, micromanaging disciplinarian who kept players in line. I think him a poor coach but the world is shades of grey, abound with silver linings.

"You're going to get fined by the (expletive) league," Marrone said via syracuse.com. "Get your (expletive) right."

Starting defensive end Jerry Hughes didn't like the punishment, and let the head coach know. Hughes was vocal that the fighting was a good thing after Wednesday's scuffle. Marrone responded to Hughes saying, "you don't have to play on this team." The two later spoke calmly before the coach's press conference.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/21/6053859/doug-marrone-jerry-hughes-argue-buffalo-bills-run-sprints

What we know is that Hughes was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct with just over five minutes to go in the first half of the Bills' 24-17 loss to the Broncos. The penalty extended a drive that led to a touchdown for the Broncos. It was also his fourth 15-yard penalty of the season and his team-leading 12th penalty overall.

Said Bills coach Doug Marrone: "After that play, I just said, 'Hey, let's get Jerry on the sideline, let's calm him down, we can't afford to lose him, and then let's go.'

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/12/bills_jerry_hughes_benched_penalty_referees_doug_marrone.html

^two separate incidents months apart, to be clear.

Marrone benched Dareus for the first quarter of the penultimate game after arriving late to team meetings. The very next day, Dareus showed up late again and got benched for the first half of the season finale.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/05/07/team-doles-second-chances-marcell-dareus-puts-bills-bad-spot/

Jerry Hughes is one of the most immature players in the league. He is not the only Bills defender who lacks discipline in my opinion.

By contrast to Marrone, Rex for better or worse creates an environment that allows players to be themselves and to lead each other rather than looking to the coach. If you have Ray Lewis, great. If you have no leaders and a bunch of undisciplined players who have never won anything, that approach gets ugly fast. There's nobody to hold guys accountable. Rex was not a stylistic fit for the particular 9-7 team we had in place, neither schematically nor in terms of his leadership approach.

Re: football IQ, I got the sense that some fraction of the problem was that some of these players aren't smart or instinctual enough to play this way. The defensive line has to read and react when they two-gap, not necessary when you're pass rushing like a headless chicken every snap in a base 4-3. Bradham, Brown and Rambo, among others seemed to get lost out there. Kiko, in contrast to Bradham was an instinctual player with a high football IQ I'd have liked to see. Schwartz ran a basic scheme they practiced over and over and over and our guys didn't have to think much.

What we had previously was working with these same players, this is not lost on me. To tear that down and rebuild is foolish, but that foolishness does not prove it won't work.

To quote one of the wittiest posters we have, I just think it won't work Because. Rex. Sucks. But here's to hoping that more leadership and intelligence from the players might help.

Edited by Aaron

Nice to see that leopards don't change their spots around here. God forbid some ex-players and coaches disagree with our TSW experts. :lol:

It is wonder that they are not hired by some NFL front office; must be nepotism.

The players are far from perfect. They lack focus, discipline and to some extent football IQ. That said there is just no questioning that other coaches did far better with those same flawed pieces.

It appears some coaches are better at recognizing the flaws and working around them than others; some of the penalties appear to be occurring because players are caught out of position and make bad plays to compensate for it.

Belichick's bonehead decision not to take the 3 in a FG in the 4thQ kept his team out his 6th SB.

Yes, they all screw up. But Andy Reid is especially bad, and Rex is well below average.

I think you are saying he should have gone for 3 both times in the 4th quarter against he Bronco's ? If so, win percentages say you are dead wrong, and just because the decision did not work out, does not mean the odds of winning the game were increased by going for both 4th down plays.

you probably also thought it bad when he went on 4th against the Colts those years back, when win percentage clearly favored going the 4th. Didn't work, does not change the fact it was the right decision. That is why its called a decision, the outcome is not 100% guaranteed.

If i understand your point correctly, then your evaluation of Rex as game day guy loses a little credibility in my mind.

I thought it was a good article because I expect a sports writer to piece together quotes into a coherent whole.

In this case, I really don't care about Tyler Dunne's opinion of Rex and his D. What does Dunne actually know? But I do care about Bart Scott's opinion - Bart knows Rex and his D very well.

Clearly, Rex failed last year on defense. We want to know why. Some here simplistically suggest Rex just isn't very bright or talented - despite a track record that says otherwise and despite the praise he receives from former players and fellow coaches.

Thanks to Dunne's article, we have a couple other theories. Scott thinks the problem was with buy-in. Cowher suggests the problem might have been installing too much too fast. Both might be correct.

Scott also makes an interesting argument that you beat elite, quick-release QBs wtih coverage, not with sacks. Considering Scott played for Rex, I'm assuming this is Rex's opinion too.

Interesting stuff.

not buying that, Broncos beat the crap out of Brady with pressure even though drop many back into coverage. Wade is just smarter than Rex

Fine effort? He's just piecing together Scott and Cowher quotes, without much other comment.

Anyway, it turns out the problem was there was no Jim Leonard in the locker room? Rex brought over more than a few Jets staff of various levels.

And naming Sammy "'Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets -- that's a problem. You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad" Watkins as a guy who "did buy in". Ok Bart.

Actually, I thought the part about not having a Leonhard there was right on.

Who did Rex bring with him from the Jets on defense? Leonhard was the defensive signal caller and from all accounts an extremely bright guy who put everyone in the right positions.

I mean, they had Enemkpali, but he wasn't there from the beginning helping everyone get used to the system, and he wasn't in the center of things anyway, at DE.