Yet another fine effort by Ty Dunne...re: the D

eball

I consider hits and pressures to be much more valuable then sacks

but that is just me

They are under the same umbrella. If you're hitting and pressuring the QB you're probably sacking him, or forcing TO's or forcing 3 and outs.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressure is the most important thing, sacks are over rated. Pressure can cause hurried passes, holding calls, extra players keep in , less in pass patterns. One of the issues last year was teams were game planning so there was no way to get to the qb, ultra quick releases, couple that with players like Mario not following assignents and you get poor defense . Plus the half dozen injuries

Pressure is the most important thing, sacks are over rated. Pressure can cause hurried passes, holding calls, extra players keep in , less in pass patterns. One of the issues last year was teams were game planning so there was no way to get to the qb, ultra quick releases, couple that with players like Mario not following assignents and you get poor defense . Plus the half dozen injuries

You actually have to pressure a QB to sack him, you know.

Nice to see that leopards don't change their spots around here. God forbid some ex-players and coaches disagree with our TSW experts. :lol:

E-man, you spend WAY more time watching the Bills than Cowher and Scott combined, probably 50x more. Should we disregard your views because you are not an ex-player or coach? I think not. As a matter of fact I enjoy reading what you have to say.

PS: Cowher said that Gailey would be a great head coach. ;)

First of all, I don't take reaction to the article I linked "personally." I didn't write it. What irritates me is the downright arrogance of some on this board. I haven't blindly defended Rex Ryan -- I've said numerous times how disappointed I am in how the defense performed. The arrogant experts of TSW have declared Rex is a buffoon, forgot how to coach, can't adapt to his talent, and can barely tie his own shoes. Ty Dunne could have taken the easy way out and piled on Rex like the rest of The Buffalo News, but he found a way to present a different side of the story. The quotes from Scott and Cowher don't exonerate Rex but they help to explain why things weren't so rosy in his first season here. They also provide a glimmer of optimism going forward. Why does that anger some of you so much?

I am not angry, but, I can't speak for anyone else.

Absolutely.

Go for it. The season is over. Rex sucked and its a new year and a new opportunity for him to show Bills fans and the NFL him and his brother can still coach. Good for them, hopefully they seize the opportunity and we have our first playoff season in !@#$ing 16 years. :D

And if they don't, hopefully Pegs cleans house after 2016, tossing Rex and all of Ralph's old trash to the curb. Now is the time to think positive thoughts and KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

It's been cool agreeing with you for once.

Ouch! What do you find so unreasonable about those who are not impressed by Rex?

I guess I should clarify.....

It is not unreasonable for those who have not been impressed with Rex so far......

its just that there are reasons for future optomism.....and those that choose to shut that down are being unreasonable

I guess I should clarify.....

It is not unreasonable for those who have not been impressed with Rex so far......

its just that there are reasons for future optomism.....and those that choose to shut that down are being unreasonable

Ok. I'll always cling to that optimism with this team no matter what my expectations are. The duality of Bills fandom I guess.

I'm listening to Ron Rivera in his Super Bowl Media session today talk about how important continuity is with regard to how successful his team has become. He said that has allowed the players and coaches to know each other well and they have become better in all three phases of the game because of it.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm listening to Ron Rivera in his Super Bowl Media session today talk about how important continuity is regarding how successful his team has become he He said that has allowed the players and coaches to know each other well and they have become better in all three phases of the game because of it.

I'm still flabbergasted by the staunch commitment to rejecting this concept that was utterly pervasive here but six weeks ago.

I'm still flabbergasted by the staunch commitment to rejecting this concept that was utterly pervasive here but six weeks ago.

i know... Rivera was 3-8-1 last year in that crap conference and everyone wanted him fired. Ended up with a losing record but made the playoffs due to said crap conference. Lost their best pass rusher (Hardy) and leading WR (KB), plus dangelo Williams who had a fine season for Steelers. 15-1 this year and Super Bowl. Edited by YoloinOhio

On top of the X's and O's mismatch, Rex' approach does not fit a team with questions about discipline and football IQ.

X's and the O O O's they haunt me.... NOW we know the real problem. Rex said "let's review the X's and O's for our game plan" and the team all went trolling for tunes on their smartphones.

Why didn't we have questions about discipline and football IQ last year? Did I just sleep through that part?

I don't root against the players, the coaches or the team. I want them to succeed. What I can say is that Rex did a poor job of coaching the talent he had on hand this past season. If you want to disagree with that then fine do so.

Rex Ryan will never be a coaching genius. He simply isn't that caliber of coach nor will he ever be. So let's get serious. Rex is one of the better coaches when it comes to performances at the podium but as a coach on the sidelines he is mediocre. Rex has been a HC for seven years. He has a losing record. I'm confident I won't ever see his statue in Canton, Ohio.

Odds are the defense will improve next season. It can't perform much worse considering the talent already on the roster. If you believe that Rex is going to be the mastermind elevating it to a top tier level then you are much more optimistic than I am.

I believe Rex did a bad job in trying to placate the players upfront and meld two systems/schemes. I really believe that is where the problem came from. I think it prevented total buy from the players and created confusion on the coaching staff in terms of calling plays etc. So I agree that's on Rex and his player-coach mentality.

Second, I think Rex is also a mediocre at best game day coach. His game management, time management, challenge skills are not good, but unfortunately that is rampant in the NFL...my god look at Andy Reid. Outside of Belicheck, who else really distinguishes themselves on gameday?

But I believe in my heart the man is a very coach Monday-Saturday...and that is what generally wins in the NFL. I think we really started to see the D get better last 4 games or so(notwithstanding first half of Skins game) . Playing with a depleted roster of guys who were not rooted in last years system...they started to come together and understand and execute.

My only point was you said D sucked last year, all on Rex. So by logic, if they are elite next year...all on Ryan right?

I believe Rex did a bad job in trying to placate the players upfront and meld two systems/schemes. I really believe that is where the problem came from. I think it prevented total buy from the players and created confusion on the coaching staff in terms of calling plays etc. So I agree that's on Rex and his player-coach mentality.

Second, I think Rex is also a mediocre at best game day coach. His game management, time management, challenge skills are not good, but unfortunately that is rampant in the NFL...my god look at Andy Reid. Outside of Belicheck, who else really distinguishes themselves on gameday?

But I believe in my heart the man is a very coach Monday-Saturday...and that is what generally wins in the NFL. I think we really started to see the D get better last 4 games or so(notwithstanding first half of Skins game) . Playing with a depleted roster of guys who were not rooted in last years system...they started to come together and understand and execute.

My only point was you said D sucked last year, all on Rex. So by logic, if they are elite next year...all on Ryan right?

Belichick's bonehead decision not to take the 3 in a FG in the 4thQ kept his team out his 6th SB.

Yes, they all screw up. But Andy Reid is especially bad, and Rex is well below average.

Belichick's bonehead decision not to take the 3 in a FG in the 4thQ kept his team out his 6th SB.

Yes, they all screw up. But Andy Reid is especially bad, and Rex is well below average.

They're all below average. Bellicheat also froze and got SUPER lucky at the end of last year's super bowl.

Among NFL coaches (again, all of whom are HORRIBLE at game/clock management) Rex is about average. May be slightly better than.

They're all below average. Bellicheat also froze and got SUPER lucky at the end of last year's super bowl.

Among NFL coaches (again, all of whom are HORRIBLE at game/clock management) Rex is about average. May be slightly better than.

So they are ALL below average ("horrible", actually) except........Rex, who is now slightly better than average. In other words, by your logic, he is the best gameday manager in the league.

Wow. You have reached the point where you will say anything with in efforts to find praise for Rex.