Yet another fine effort by Ty Dunne...re: the D

eball

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine effort? He's just piecing together Scott and Cowher quotes, without much other comment.

Anyway, it turns out the problem was there was no Jim Leonard in the locker room? Rex brought over more than a few Jets staff of various levels.

And naming Sammy "'Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets -- that's a problem. You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad" Watkins as a guy who "did buy in". Ok Bart.

linky

Well worth the read for those questioning Rex's ability to coach defense and how sacks/pressure relate to today's game.

Rex coached the defense so well last year that it got worse. His approach was to take what works and bend it to what he wanted to do. If it doesn't then blame the dumb players who couldn't absorb your brilliant concepts.

Rex Ryan has an MBA in weasel management. He takes credit for the successes and he blames others for the failures. If you want to believe that Rex did a stellar job coaching last year then go ahead and ignore the stats that demonstrably say otherwise. I may be stupid but I am not gullible.

No leadership on defense. They turned the defense over to 22 yr old Preston Brown who was literally one of the worst LB's in the whole league this year. That was their first mistake. 2nd mistake was blitzing the LB's and Db's instead of Mario and Jerry. Once they saw they had crappy LB's they should have relied more on their outstanding D-Line to get pressure. Marcel and company setting the line of scrimmage instead of rushing just makes me sick to my stomach. Completely idiotic and I don't blame the players for being frustrated. A good coach is successful no matter the personnel or scheme. Rex only knows paint by numbers so he better pray that he finds a Ray Lewis or Bart Scott to run this D or he's in trouble

Nice to see that leopards don't change their spots around here. God forbid some ex-players and coaches disagree with our TSW experts. :lol:

If Scott hadn't said the essentially the same things to the NY Post and others in previous and recent interview, maybe Dunne would deserve some props for getting Scott to say the same things for his article.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/14/rex-ryan-desperately-grasps-for-bills-coaches-who-believe-in-him/

Nice to see that leopards don't change their spots around here. God forbid some ex-players and coaches disagree with our TSW experts. :lol:

Yeah, who the heck needs THOSE kind of people to weigh in on things. Bills fans know better because... they're Bills fans!

Fine effort? He's just piecing together Scott and Cowher quotes, without much other comment.

Anyway, it turns out the problem was there was no Jim Leonard in the locker room? Rex brought over more than a few Jets staff of various levels.

And naming Sammy "'Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I'm not getting targets -- that's a problem. You're making me look bad and you're making yourself look bad" Watkins as a guy who "did buy in". Ok Bart.

I thought it was a good article because I expect a sports writer to piece together quotes into a coherent whole.

In this case, I really don't care about Tyler Dunne's opinion of Rex and his D. What does Dunne actually know? But I do care about Bart Scott's opinion - Bart knows Rex and his D very well.

Clearly, Rex failed last year on defense. We want to know why. Some here simplistically suggest Rex just isn't very bright or talented - despite a track record that says otherwise and despite the praise he receives from former players and fellow coaches.

Thanks to Dunne's article, we have a couple other theories. Scott thinks the problem was with buy-in. Cowher suggests the problem might have been installing too much too fast. Both might be correct.

Scott also makes an interesting argument that you beat elite, quick-release QBs wtih coverage, not with sacks. Considering Scott played for Rex, I'm assuming this is Rex's opinion too.

Interesting stuff.

Well, it was a very disappointing season, wasn't it? Before the season started (nearly) every one of us would have signed up for what this offense produced because we (mostly) assumed that the defense would be the team's strongest unit. What we ended up with was not what was expected by (many) people here, in the media and (I believe) the owner's box.

(Some) people want to blame the players. (Some) people want to blame the coaches. Bart Scott says the game has not passed Rex by, it was on the players and (some) people believe that. (Some) people say BS, it is up to the coach to get the most from the talent he has. (Some) people read quotes by a former player who is loyal to Rex and ask "why should I believe him?"

(Some) people lol at (some) people who they disagree with because it's easy.

If Scott hadn't said the essentially the same things to the NY Post and others in previous and recent interview, maybe Dunne would deserve some props for getting Scott to say the same things for his article.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/14/rex-ryan-desperately-grasps-for-bills-coaches-who-believe-in-him/

I'm not sure what your point is? Was Dunne suppose to get Scott to change his opinion? Those of us who do not live in NYC had not read the NY Post.

Well, it was a very disappointing season, wasn't it? Before the season started (nearly) every one of us would have signed up for what this offense produced because we (mostly) assumed that the defense would be the team's strongest unit. What we ended up with was not what was expected by (many) people here, in the media and (I believe) the owner's box.

(Some) people want to blame the players. (Some) people want to blame the coaches. Bart Scott says the game has not passed Rex by, it was on the players and (some) people believe that. (Some) people say BS, it is up to the coach to get the most from the talent he has. (Some) people read quotes by a former player who is loyal to Rex and ask "why should I believe him?"

The players are far from perfect. They lack focus, discipline and to some extent football IQ. That said there is just no questioning that other coaches did far better with those same flawed pieces.

Is this a correct use of parentheses? Seriously, I'm just curious. Just used the Google apparently this is correct. Edited by chris heff

The spots that don't change are the reality of the stats and outcomes. The defense Rex coached last year took a precipitous drop from the previous year with much of the same roster. There is no basis to argue that his defense was a success when it wasn't. What you are trying to do is rationalize a deterioration in performance when there isn't a good reason for doing so.

If you want to believe that Rex did a good job with the defense then go ahead and believe it. I'm not accepting your interpretation of what happened this past season, I trust my eyes and the stats more than I trust what you are advocating. The record for last season is in the books. My position on how Rex coached the defense will not change because the record/performance is established.

Go ahead and keep making excuses. Go ahead and keep creating new rationals for what happened. That's your prerogative. I'm not buying what you are peddling and never will.

I thought it was a good article because I expect a sports writer to piece together quotes into a coherent whole.

In this case, I really don't care about Tyler Dunne's opinion of Rex and his D. What does Dunne actually know? But I do care about Bart Scott's opinion - Bart knows Rex and his D very well.

Clearly, Rex failed last year on defense. We want to know why. Some here simplistically suggest Rex just isn't very bright or talented - despite a track record that says otherwise and despite the praise he receives from former players and fellow coaches.

Thanks to Dunne's article, we have a couple other theories. Scott thinks the problem was with buy-in. Cowher suggests the problem might have been installing too much too fast. Both might be correct.

Scott also makes an interesting argument that you beat elite, quick-release QBs wtih coverage, not with sacks. Considering Scott played for Rex, I'm assuming this is Rex's opinion too.

Interesting stuff.

what you said.

I'm not sure what your point is? Was Dunne suppose to get Scott to change his opinion? Those of us who do not live in NYC had not read the NY Post.

Doesn't matter what his point was (isn't it to write down quotes?). I was just questioning the OP's thought as why this was pointed out as a "fine effort". If the goal was to print Scott quotes that he has alrready made to other papers for the readers of the BN who can't or won't read other media sources, than I guess it was a fine effort.

I don't live in NYC. Yet I am able to read the Post as well as several other newspapers other than the BN (which I don't read).

Edited by Mr. WEO

Yet I just post an article and suggest it's a good read (because it provides some contrary analysis) and I'm immediately mocked. Go figure.

Some people just like to watch the world burn. Many of them frequent this forum.

"One thing I know about Rex Ryan is he knows how to coach defense," Scott said. "I’m confident saying he’s one of the best defensive minds in the game today.

Is that why his scoring defenses in NY were ranked 20th, 20th, 19th, and 24th from 2011 thru 2014? ... because he's one of the best defensive minds in the game today?

This year's D certainly didn't reveal that.

Just curious.

It's also possible that a D that is so complex that only an extreme minority of players can actually make sense of it and then ebonics it down to field level may not be all that practical in todays NFL with its revolving door free agency turnstyle system where it's difficult to keep a defensive roster together for more than 2-3 seasons.

Seems like the time the players will pick it up they'll have one foot out the door.

As they say though, what Dunne says sounds good on paper and without much additional thought.

Edited by TaskersGhost