Yet another fine effort by Ty Dunne...re: the D

eball

The players are far from perfect. They lack focus, discipline and to some extent football IQ. That said there is just no questioning that other coaches did far better with those same flawed pieces.

I don't think anyone is debating this. The question is: why?

Because Rex is a clueless windbag?

Because Rex tried to build a hybrid D he didn't really believe in?

Because Rex didn't get buy-in from the players?

Because Rex tried to install too much of complicated D too fast?

Because __________________________ (you fill in the blank)?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet I just post an article and suggest it's a good read (because it provides some contrary analysis) and I'm immediately mocked. Go figure.

Some people just like to watch the world burn. Many of them frequent this forum.

I just don't think it required much effort, let alone "fine effort". Relax, the world isn't burning because your thread is being commented on.

Now, if you wanted to say that the article was quietly spectacular, I might go along...

Doesn't matter what his point was (isn't it to write down quotes?). I was just questioning the OP's thought as why this was pointed out as a "fine effort". If the goal was to print Scott quotes that he has alrready made to other papers for the readers of the BN who can't or won't read other media sources, than I guess it was a fine effort.

I don't live in NYC. Yet I am able to read the Post as well as several other newspapers other than the BN (which I don't read).

I stand corrected, I thought you lived on the West Side. When I lived in NYC I read the Post, well only the sports section and of course Page Six to see if I was mentioned. My point was that most people in Buffalo don't read the Post, so reprinting if you will Scott's quotes would be informative.

The players are far from perfect. They lack focus, discipline and to some extent football IQ. That said there is just no questioning that other coaches did far better with those same flawed pieces.

You are right, I should have included that. "Buy in" was definitely a problem and I don't think I need to go into detail there. Leadership is also something worth bringing into question as is football IQ.

You are right, I should have included that. "Buy in" was definitely a problem and I don't think I need to go into detail there. Leadership is also something worth bringing into question as is football IQ.

So, I guess what I'm saying is there is plenty of blame to go around!

I don't think anyone is debating this. The question is: why?

Because Rex is a clueless windbag?

Because Rex tried to build a hybrid D he didn't really believe in?

Because Rex didn't get buy-in from the players?

Because Rex tried to install too much of complicated D too fast?

Because __________________________ (you fill in the blank)?

On top of the X's and O's mismatch, Rex' approach does not fit a team with questions about discipline and football IQ. These shortcomings were exposed in a way they never were under Pettine or Schwartz.

The defense took a big step back and caused our record to fall even as the offense improved significantly. What is done is done.

This does not eliminate all hope for the future. Our hope is that once we re-build the defense in Rex' image, it will come back stronger than ever, with leadership that comes from the players rather than the coaches, and a higher IQ as a unit. With Rex at the controls I'll hope for this like hell everyday but I won't hold my breath.

I stand corrected, I thought you lived on the West Side. When I lived in NYC I read the Post, well only the sports section and of course Page Six to see if I was mentioned. My point was that most people in Buffalo don't read the Post, so reprinting if you will Scott's quotes would be informative.

Not full time. But I was reading the Post many years before that.

Dunne does seem to be a solid reporter. But the OP likely congratulated him because Dunne wrote an article that reinforced feelings that OP has about Rex.

Far more interesting was the piece posted here a few weeks ago by a guy who did think the game had passed Rex by and details why he thought so. This article does none of that. It quotes Scott giving his standard answer to the "what do you think happened to Rex Ryan and the Buffalo Defense this year".

Yet I just post an article and suggest it's a good read (because it provides some contrary analysis) and I'm immediately mocked. Go figure.

Some people just like to watch the world burn. Many of them frequent this forum.

Some reasonable people, who want nothing more than to see the Bills win football games, disagree with you. Deal with it!

Not full time. But I was reading the Post many years before that.

Dunne does seem to be a solid reporter. But the OP likely congratulated him because Dunne wrote an article that reinforced feelings that OP has about Rex.

Far more interesting was the piece posted here a few weeks ago by a guy who did think the game had passed Rex by and details why he thought so. This article does none of that. It quotes Scott giving his standard answer to the "what do you think happened to Rex Ryan and the Buffalo Defense this year".

Got it. Your source good. His source bad.

Some reasonable people, who want nothing more than to see the Bills win football games, disagree with you. Deal with it!

:w00t:

On top of the X's and O's mismatch, Rex' approach does not fit a team with questions about discipline and football IQ. These shortcomings were exposed in a way they never were under Pettine or Schwartz.

The defense took a big step back and caused our record to fall even as the offense improved significantly. What is done is done.

This does not eliminate all hope for the future. Our hope is that once we re-build the defense in Rex' image, it will come back stronger than ever, with leadership that comes from the players rather than the coaches, and a higher IQ as a unit. With Rex at the controls I'll hope for this like hell everyday but I won't hold my breath.

Hope is what we Bills fans live on.

I guess I liked Dunne's article because the Bart Scott quotes gave me a bit more hope than I had before. Scott seems to have faith in Rex and his D. Maybe I should too.

The spots that don't change are the reality of the stats and outcomes. The defense Rex coached last year took a precipitous drop from the previous year with much of the same roster. There is no basis to argue that his defense was a success when it wasn't. What you are trying to do is rationalize a deterioration in performance when there isn't a good reason for doing so.

If you want to believe that Rex did a good job with the defense then go ahead and believe it. I'm not accepting your interpretation of what happened this past season, I trust my eyes and the stats more than I trust what you are advocating. The record for last season is in the books. My position on how Rex coached the defense will not change because the record/performance is established.

Go ahead and keep making excuses. Go ahead and keep creating new rationals for what happened. That's your prerogative. I'm not buying what you are peddling and never will.

So..by said logic if the D becomes a force next year Rex is a genius?

My exact same thoughts! Water Polo players being smarter than the average bear and all

Damn skippy!

Hello from 2002!

phDLNSc.jpg

every former water polo player should keep a photo around from their playing days. because that's about as good as it's going to get. ask my wife. she met me right around the time when that photo was taken. sorry, darling.

Edited by The Big Cat

A great defensive mind coaches up the players he has to play great defensive as a unit. Period. Rex did not do this, regardless of reasons blaming the locker room, not enough Jets rejects, etc. etc. If the players can't smell what the coach is cooking, and you know you don't have locker room buy-in, and it's not working, then figure out something to play good defensive with the All-Pro players you have. A defensive genius doesn't slavishly stick to a scheme that isn't working (regardless of what the reason/excuses are) so that the defense isn't good - that is what a defensive idiot does.

A great defensive mind coaches up the players he has to play great defensive as a unit. Period. Rex did not do this, regardless of reasons blaming the locker room, not enough Jets rejects, etc. etc. If the players can't smell what the coach is cooking, and you know you don't have locker room buy-in, and it's not working, then figure out something to play good defensive with the All-Pro players you have. A defensive genius doesn't slavishly stick to a scheme that isn't working (regardless of what the reason/excuses are) so that the defense isn't good - that is what a defensive idiot does.

This is absolutely correct.

But no human being is necessarily doomed to repeat his mistakes.

Rex has been successful in the past because he's spent a lifetime learning about defensive schemes and football leadership.

Some of those lessons were clearly misapplied last season. While I don't know what next season holds for us, I don't think it's completely unrealistic to think Rex will learn from his 2015 mistakes.

There are also the questions of (1) how long does it take to sell a team on a new philosophy?, and (2) how long does it take to teach a team a new philosophy? Bart Scott and Coach Cowher raised these issues in Dunne's article.

I'm not a huge Rex fan but I don't think you can label the guy a hopeless failure after just one season.

Well I read on TSW that Rex is stupid, lazy, sucks, and the game has passed him by. So isn't this question already settled? :rolleyes:

again. No substance. Why not provide your insight and weigh in? Its easy to throw the lob and jab. But try supporting the empty statements. Its much more fun.

You know football. I've seen evidence. So speak up