Congrats to Wade Phillips

major

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wade has always been on my short list of guys I would want if I needed someone to scheme a defense for a single game/opponent. What he did with Atwater, Smith, and an aging Mecklenburg to stymie Kelly and the K-Gun in the '91 AFC championship game was a thing of beauty to anyone that appreciates defense.

I won't be the least bit surprised if he schemes a defense to hand Newton his ass.

GO BILLS!!!

^ this. I told my wife (a Pats fan) about that game yesterday before kickoff. It appeared that Wade took a page out of Belichick's book yesterday and had his guys beat the crap out of any Patriot receiver that caught a pass over the middle (a.k.a. Bills/Giants).

^ this. I told my wife (a Pats fan) about that game yesterday before kickoff. It appeared that Wade took a page out of Belichick's book yesterday and had his guys beat the crap out of any Patriot receiver that caught a pass over the middle (a.k.a. Bills/Giants).

I'm sure a sizable segment of this forum has no recollection of that game given the 24 years since it was played. But that was Kelly's best year and TT won the offensive player of the year award. We were the definition of a juggernaut offense. We rolled over people. But Wade handed us our asses in that game. Held Kelly to less than 120 yards passing, Thurman had NO room all day, and we were held to a measly FG for the game. I was driving my friends nuts by constantly uttering my amazement at what that defense was doing to us that day; they wanted me to switch seats! But I had to tip my hat to what that defense did. It was incredible. Our defense did a great job as well and it was fitting that they won it for us that day.

GO BILLS!!!

I live in Nor. Cal and work right by the stadium. We're experiencing an El Nino year that's bringing a lot of rainfall. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Miami like rain (the year Peyton beat the Bears) for the big game. While it didn't help the Bears enough that year, it could certainly ground Cam and aid Denver in two weeks.

Interesting article about how Wade Phillips outschemed the Pats O.

Blitz-happy Wade only blitzed on 1 of 6 plays and yet pressured the hell out of Brady.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14642395/gary-kubiak-wade-phillips-dialed-gem-get-bill-belichick-tom-brady-nfl

Wasn't afraid of their run game, and Ware and Miller abused the line every passing play.

I think the Patriots O-line being patchwork had as much to do with it as any coaching scheme.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that Wade single-handedly won the game. Players matter and Denver's D has some talented guys.

But it was good to see that Wade won the chess match - and how he did it.

Wondering what the Bills coaching staff might learn from this.

Interesting article about how Wade Phillips outschemed the Pats O.

Blitz-happy Wade only blitzed on 1 of 6 plays and yet pressured the hell out of Brady.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14642395/gary-kubiak-wade-phillips-dialed-gem-get-bill-belichick-tom-brady-nfl

All of that and they still only won by virtue of a missed XP. If not for that the media might be saying how a beaten and battered Brady overcame it all to lead an OT comeback win. That said, New England losing has put a smile on my face the whole day today.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that Wade single-handedly won the game. Players matter and Denver's D has some talented guys.

But it was good to see that Wade won the chess match - and how he did it.

Wondering what the Bills coaching staff might learn from this.

the Bills coaching staff did the same thing in November. Denver has better players.