There needs to be a new NFL rule

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Carey said there was no problem

Bernard was looking backwards for the ball when he was taking his steps. The moment he turns forward Shazier targets his head. If Mike Carey thinks he wasn't defenseless then Mike Carey just proved he's an imbecile. That was the textbook definition of being helpless. But if all refs are as stupid as Mike Carey then I'm not surprised by the non-call.

And yes Ryan, there is a movie about the NFL allowing players' brains being turned to scrambled eggs, and yet the league's own refs allow that Shazier hit. Ponderous.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Bernard was looking backwards for the ball when he was taking his steps. The moment he turns forward Shazier targets his head. If Mike Carey thinks he wasn't defenseless then Mike Carey just proved he's an imbecile. That was the textbook definition of being helpless. But if all refs are as stupid as Mike Carey then I'm not surprised by the non-call.

And yes Ryan, there is a movie about the NFL allowing players' brains being turned to scrambled eggs, and yet the league's own refs allow that Shazier hit. Ponderous.

The next time Mike Carey actually takes a position significantly critical of NFL officiating will be the first time.

They need to make the helmets safer. This is football, you can't make a bunch of rules where it's a judgement call whether or not they hit them in the head on purpose. The runner tries to avoid you and you do your best to tackle him. As the angle changes so does the position of your body. Sometimes you end up hitting them in the head or leading with your helmet and it might not even be on purpose. This kind of stuff is making the game stupid. If I was the NFL I'd spend all of my money on researching new head protection because this stuff is ruining the game

No, the rule should be if you lead with the crown, you're ejected

There already is a rule, implemented in Sept. 2013. The link is posted up in the main game thread (Post #483). Leading with the crown (other than on a running play within the tackles, near the line) is illegal, and is a PF. You don't even have to go helmet-to-helmet either, and that's to protect the player from himself.

How they missed this is a head scratcher. And then how they missed it AGAIN while doing the challenge review (for the fumble call), is astounding.

Edited by John in Jax

There already is a rule, implemented in Sept. 2013. The link is posted up in the main game thread. Leading with the crown (other than on a running play within the tackles, near the line) is illegal, and is a PF. You don't even have to go helmet-to-helmet either, and that's to protect the player from himself.

How they missed this is a head scratcher. And then how they missed it AGAIN while doing the challenge review (for the fumble call), is astounding.

They can't throw a flag based on the review, I believe, even if they decided it was a bad hit

There already is a rule, implemented in Sept. 2013. The link is posted up in the main game thread (Post #483). Leading with the crown (other than on a running play within the tackles, near the line) is illegal, and is a PF. You don't even have to go helmet-to-helmet either, and that's to protect the player from himself.

The reason for not calling the penalty is clear as Black and Gold.

That's obviously what's wrong with the game...not enough judgement rules.

<_<

As a matter of fact that might be part of the problem. Trying to define everything perfectly and using no judgement creates an impossible situation. They are taking a gray situation and trying to make it black and white. Look at NHL refs they decide to let letter of the law ridiculous calls go at crucial times and let the players decide it. Safety is one issue. But, some far away from the play letter of the law crap can be called all the time. Holding in the NFL is allowed/called all the time because it is gray. I commend the refs and can accept that. The catch rule has become a joke. The Bryant catch last night is an example of judgement being used and rightly so. The second PF call not so much. Letter of the law -yes. Judgement-horrible.

They can't throw a flag based on the review, I believe, even if they decided it was a bad hit

Are you sure about that? If it's true, then they should change that too. They are currently in the mode of "we want to get it right", so I would think if they're doing a review, and see a Personal Foul, it should be called.

This is a football game. Players move at various speeds. Shazier caught Bernard, but Bernard was also trying to get low. I don't mind a call like the one on Burfict at the end, when it's obvious, but defenders have to be able to tackle opposing players. Just like the flag on Ioka was bad. He hit Wheaton with his shoulder and gets a personal foul.

He lead with the crown of his helmet, he's ejected in college after a quick review

Just like the flag on Loka was bad. He hit Wheaton with his shoulder and gets a personal foul.

I forgot about this one from earlier in the game. But you are correct...THAT was a gift to the Steelers, and another INCORRECT call. Loka did EVERYTHING right on that hit...he used his shoulder to make contact, and he bent over a bit to purposefully NOT go for Wheaton's head....yet he still got flagged. :wallbash:

Are you sure about that? If it's true, then they should change that too. They are currently in the mode of "we want to get it right", so I would think if they're doing a review, and see a Personal Foul, it should be called.

i believe that is the case. If the call on the field is a flag they can reverse. But I don't think they can assess a flag following review if it wasn't already called on field.

There are a lot of the NFL rules that make no sense or are not common sense oriented at all !

The rule you talk about is one because it's different for a runner than it is a WR & the catch rule is so stupid it's not even funny . A RB can cross the goal line & fumble the ball going to the ground but if a WR catches the ball & goes to the ground after crossing the goal line & fumbles it's not a catch ??? :doh:

Plus i thought that the ground can't cause a fumble & if your knee or your elbow & another part of your body touches the ground you are down ? But not if you are in the process of catching a ball ?

Makes no sense ! Sounds like they hired politicians to make up those rules ...

not that I am disagreeing, but the reasoning is that making a catch is considered a process, when a RB crosses the goal line they already are in possession of the ball. The WR making a catch has to first have possession of the ball in order for the rest of the play to be valid. Otherwise you could argue that all a player in the endzone receiving a throw has to do is touch a pass with his feet down and it's a TD

The referees clearly had a negative impact on that game. They blew it. Big time. If I'm a bengals fan I'd be beyond furious. The black and gold vs the bungles. No surprise the refs blown calls were in favor of the steelers. Not to mention the additional 15 yard penalty on pacman for unsportsmanlike conduct against Joey porter....the steeler coach who was illegally on the field. While the refs called munchak for unsportsmanlike conduct.....Joey porter wasn't flagged for running onto the field screaming at baiting the bengals.

Edited by NewEra

The referees clearly had a negative impact on that game. They blew it. Big time. If I'm a bengals fan I'd be beyond furious. The black and gold vs the bungles. No surprise the refs blown calls were in favor of the steelers. Not to mention the additional 15 yard penalty on pacman for unsportsmanlike conduct against Joey porter....the steeler coach who was illegally on the field. While the refs called munchak for unsportsmanlike conduct.....Joey porter wasn't flagged for running onto the field screaming at baiting the bengals.

I would agree with this. The refs had a perfect opportunity for an "even up" call on the pacman foul. Would have been very easy to flag both him and Porter for unsportmanlike and carry on.

I would agree with this. The refs had a perfect opportunity for an "even up" call on the pacman foul. Would have been very easy to flag both him and Porter for unsportmanlike and carry on.

There was lots of personal fouling during the injury time out that could have been called on both teams. I'm surprised the benches didn't clear like in baseball

Deciding factor in who got flagged was physical contact with an official