1/7/13 Chiefs went Reid 1/6/13 Whaley went Marrone

Marrone quit in 2015, Reid was hired in 2013. And although the concept of this thread is dumb and revisionist, the idea of not being able to better KC's pick of #34 in the draft is kinda silly when you look back on the fact that we, instead, took EJ Manuel around 18th or 19th. I imagine, if you had a time machine, you could go back and still trade back with St. Louis in that draft and get that second pick in the 2nd round that we got Robert Woods with, and maybe even traded down again to about 27 or 28 and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder in that draft to get EJ with later, more where he was slotted, then give that 27 or 28 pick to SF, as it would still be higher than the 34 they got. Again, only with a time machine though.

That trade was consummated long before the draft. NOBODY was going to give up more value for Smith than the #34 pick in the draft (you can add the conditional pick in the next year's draft if you like) two months before the draft.

Time machines are fun.

And convenient.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That trade was consummated long before the draft. NOBODY was going to give up more value for Smith than the #34 pick in the draft (you can add the conditional pick in the next year's draft if you like) two months before the draft.

Time machines are fun.

And convenient.

GO BILLS!!!

The reality of discussing things like this is that the same people that shout down negative takes on deals made or not made...........in the name of letting the situation play out.......then pull the "hindsight" card when it doesn't.

That's why it carries no weight as a defense no matter how much it's used.

We can say WE as fans didn't THINK Smith was worth trading more value than the Chiefs offered....................but that hasn't been the case.

First round picks that net very good QB's that lead their team to the playoffs are the definition of great value.

The nice thing is that there is at least a chance that the Bills got a potentially very good long term solution at QB in Tyrod Taylor for nuthin'. :thumbsup:

It appears as though Whaley just goes along to get along and isn't actually involved in the important decisions. Same idiotic theories about Ryan as Marrone. If people "defending" Whaley with this nonesense, think about it, they are just pointing out that two different ownerships didn't respect his opinion on coaching. Lets face it he has been with the team for 6 years. He isn't the only problem, he obviously isn't the solution either.

Let's just see: I can count about 20 players that Whaley has brought in that have improved the team. Without his decisions, we would have been 5-11 this year.

The reality of discussing things like this is that the same people that shout down negative takes on deals made or not made...........in the name of letting the situation play out.......then pull the "hindsight" card when it doesn't.

That's why it carries no weight as a defense no matter how much it's used.

We can say WE as fans didn't THINK Smith was worth trading more value than the Chiefs offered....................but that hasn't been the case.

First round picks that net very good QB's that lead their team to the playoffs are the definition of great value.

The nice thing is that there is at least a chance that the Bills got a potentially very good long term solution at QB in Tyrod Taylor for nuthin'. :thumbsup:

Mistakes have definately been made in the past with this team.....we surely would have made the playoffs in the last 16 years if that was not the case

The Chiefs are just a very steady well run organization....

Its not JUST getting Smith......everything about that organization is just really steady and consistant

They lose Charles and absorb it

THey dont throw TDs to WR's the year before last and still win

Their D is stifling

What makes it so?

Yet everyone says Brandon doesn't make football decisions. We paid dearly for the Moron decision.

Check the timeline, dude. Whaley didn't make that call - good ol' Russ did with help from Buddy.

Personally I think the GM that went with Andy Reid and Alex Smith is smarter than the GM who went with Doug Marrone and EJ Manuel.

Good thing Buddy retired!

Personally I think the GM that went with Andy Reid and Alex Smith is smarter than the GM who went with Doug Marrone and EJ Manuel.

Reid didn't want to come to buffalo. Didn't even interview. So yeah, great thoughts and everything but let's stay in the realistic "I hate the buffalo bills management" universe, not the fantasy one. They did interview Ken Whisenhunt. How about you B word about not hiring him, instead?

I am sorry but if people actually think we had a shot at Andy Reid in 2013 they are deluding themselves. If Andy Reid had been on the market last January with the ownership settled with a decent roster minus QB and with an opportunity to win early then we would have had a shot.

In 2013 he wouldn't have even interviewed with the Bills. He had his pick of the jobs that year and he was never coming to Buffalo. EDIT: I might be wrong but I don't think he interviewed anywhere other than Kansas City did he?

This is not a Whaley miss you can hang your crusade on.

Edited by GunnerBill

In 2013 the Bills future was the most tenuous in the NFL. An owner who was about to pass on and a team everyone knew was destined for Los Angeles or Toronto. No coach with the stature of an Andy Reid would even think of taking that job. I think that was evident since he wouldn't even interview with the Bills.

I'm curious. Does TSW get new trolls every year or are they they same ones with different names? Maybe the mods know?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This is ridiculous revisionist history. The Chiefs fired Crennel immediately after the season. They immediately went after Reid as Coach and then hired John Dorsey as GM.Reid was officially hired on Jan. 4th. . Marrone quit on Jan 1. Reid had already been interviewing with KC. Get your facts straight and stop being a revisionist idiot because the Chiefs won today.

JD - I'm just scanning through this thread, and although I don't subscribe to the sarcasm, you are spot on correct in your facts. KC was gunning for Reid, and there were reports at the time reid was being very selective what team he considered to go to after Philly. The Bills with their ownership instability, and no QB had absolutely no shot at him nor did we have a shot at Chip Kelly, not that I wanted him.

We finally now have stable ownership, and a very talented team so when we finally fire Rex in the next two years, we should be able to attract a higher tiered HC.

EVERYONE WAS AT THAT TIME

Do people not realize that there was a point and time where free agents (and quality coaches) simply didnt want to come to Buffalo?

It takes 2 to tango folks

SO WRONG! MANY ON HERE WERE AGAINST SMITH.

Go to the Docs for alzheimers big boy. I hear Obama has a good health plan implemented. Use it!

Edited by fredex22

Brandon recommended Marrone to Nix and Whaley.

Nix was given final say, and could've hired whoever he wanted.

They had a consensus in Marrone and hired him on 1/7/13...3 days after Andy Reid was hired in KC

So basically everything stated as factual in the OP is wrong

I think the definition of value is getting a player at market value at the time of the trade given all the circumstances and future performance is irrelevant when taking about value, but it's relevant when judging the success of the trade, which I believe are two different things.

Trading a second and third for Alex Smith was good value given the market (Miscontent Palmer went for a 1st and 2nd a couple years before). It also has been very successful given the results on the field.

I don't disagree with your take, I just wanted to add a little means that I think people tend to gloss over when looking backwards and judging trades.

My, my. Some thought Reid was a bad hire.

I was and definitely am in that group. Despite 31 regular season wins in the past 3 seasons in KC, he has appeared in 2 playoff games. Yesterday (against the Houston Hoyers) was his first playoff win since 2008. 2013 summed up Andy Reid perfectly. Starts 9-0, stumbles into the playoffs and then loses a playoff game where his team had 3rd Q 4 TD lead and despite forcing 4 turnovers on Indy. A masterful bit of self destruction

They can have him in KC. He's exactly who that town deserves.