Report: Titans to squander position, hire Mularkey

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic Carucci reported it so it must be true!

Kind of sad that he's becoming the punch line of jokes around here I will say!

I do wonder if this is some type of an attempt by Tenn to get serious with Chip Kelly. Maybe Kelly's #1 choice is San Fran and if that falls through will go to Tenn. So Tenn is playing the Mularkey card now to force him to take them serious or he could end up another bridesmaid next to Doug Marrone.

...playing the Mularkey card...

No.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000616846/article/mike-mularkey-has-legitimate-chance-to-be-retained

If I'm Hugh Jackson I'm literally losing my freaking mind right now.

This dolt gets a THIRD shot at being a HC?

What?

Titans are sitting on a situation that almost NEVER comes around. They have a young franchise QB AND the #1 overall pick. There is no better combination possible IMO.

They can either take the best skill position or defensive player (or even better) trade the pick for a boatload of goodies to some QB hungry team.

And they are going to waste all this on Mike Mularkey, whose career record is 18-39.

The fact is that the Bills are in a much better position with ownership AND coaching than many, many NFL teams.

Imagine being a Titans fan right now.

You're right, Hugh Jackman can't be pleased about this at all.

I don't think it's as terrible as it sounds initially. Since he took over partway through, you get some continuity into next season and can dump him at the end without looking like you're cleveland.

Looking at the field of candidates, there's not anyone out there that I'm like, "Man, I want him as coach".

That's the case for me. There aren't any college guys with a lot of buzz who look open to moving to the Pros. There don't seem to be a number of former head coaches who thrived in a different situation as a coordinator. The hottest coordinator on the market right now is Adam Gase, and his claim to fame right now is that he motivated Jay Cutler...to numbers that are worse than Tyrod's. I keep hearing how weak the coaching carousel is this year, so if the Titans aren't sold on anyone, why try to force someone in when they can tank again and take another shot next year?

To me, this is the death knell of Chip Kelly in the pros. If he can't get back in after one 7-9 season, preceded by two 10-6 seasons, where the starting QB is the guy he tried to move heaven and earth to draft, I think that says a lot as to how he is perceived.

When the team is sold; it will be easier to dump Mularkey than a "big name" coach...

And it would be even easier to keep a coach who was actually winning. It's very possible that the titans could win their crappy division next year with a good coach. So wouldn't a new owner just stick with his winning head coach?

i know, it seems like it would be a very attractive spot for a HC

Plus there is no income tax in TN. I would imagine that would play a part in people's decision.

Maybe Tenn spoke to Mariota and he told them Chip is an !@#$. Chip Kelly is an egotistical dick. He treats everyone around him like dirt including his bosses. He talks about culture like a CEO with a MBA, but he knows little in how to establish a culture. In college the players have zero bargaining power. He has total control and had Phil Knight's wallet. It doesn't work that way in the NFL.

Kelly probably wins a national championship at LSU next year if the administrators just waited a little longer to make a decision on firing Les Miles. My guess Kelly sits out a year and will be in the SEC next year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000616846/article/mike-mularkey-has-legitimate-chance-to-be-retained

If I'm Hugh Jackson I'm literally losing my freaking mind right now.

This dolt gets a THIRD shot at being a HC?

What?

Titans are sitting on a situation that almost NEVER comes around. They have a young franchise QB AND the #1 overall pick. There is no better combination possible IMO.

They can either take the best skill position or defensive player (or even better) trade the pick for a boatload of goodies to some QB hungry team.

And they are going to waste all this on Mike Mularkey, whose career record is 18-39.

The fact is that the Bills are in a much better position with ownership AND coaching than many, many NFL teams.

Imagine being a Titans fan right now.

And were better off how? We have Rex and Whaley.

True Bourbon is from Kentucky. Bourbon County, Kentucky. Just like true Champagne is from the Champagne region of France. Tennessee Bourbon is an oxymoron.

Technically, perhaps, but now there is a classification called "California Champagne" so you're probably picking nits a bit.

True Bourbon is from Kentucky. Bourbon County, Kentucky. Just like true Champagne is from the Champagne region of France. Tennessee Bourbon is an oxymoron.

Technically, perhaps, but now there is a classification called "California Champagne" so you're probably picking nits a bit.

No, not technically, though it is a common misconception: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

Even the places on the Bourbon Trail explain the definition:

"The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption must be:

Anyway, I think Mularkey is a severely underwhelming choice for Tennessee, which is good for the Bills but bad for football fans in general. I think Mariota is legit and they have a pretty solid D. Improve the O-line a bit, add a couple of skill position weapons, and assuming Mariota progresses, they could be a very solid team for years to come.

Out of all of our candidates last year, I wanted Rex first, and Hue Jackson second. He's done a very nice job with Cincy's offense, and going 8-8 in one year as the Raiders' head coach is practically a Super Bowl appearance. He's certainly a much more appealing candidate than Meathead on paper.

Edited by Cash

No, not technically, though it is a common misconception: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

Even the places on the Bourbon Trail explain the definition:

"The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption must be:

Anyway, I think Mularkey is a severely underwhelming choice for Tennessee, which is good for the Bills but bad for football fans in general. I think Mariota is legit and they have a pretty solid D. Improve the O-line a bit, add a couple of skill position weapons, and assuming Mariota progresses, they could be a very solid team for years to come.

Out of all of our candidates last year, I wanted Rex first, and Hue Jackson second. He's done a very nice job with Cincy's offense, and going 8-8 in one year as the Raiders' head coach is practically a Super Bowl appearance. He's certainly a much more appealing candidate than Meathead on paper.

OMG classic! Who can't love a good CFR reference?

OK.. there's about 3 of us. But it's still (pun) funny as sh-T.