Jets fire ST coord. Bobby April;going to coach for Mularkey

YoloinOhio

His son coaches LBs for Bills.

@connor_j_hughes

The #Jets have fired special teams coordinator Bobby April. Bit of a surprise, there. On Monday, said there would be no changes.

Not advocating we go after him. Jets ST had to be worst in NFL.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ok I can't figure this out - did he coach for Rex year or not? I see some people say he was hand picked by Bowles.

Jets ST were way worse than ours but their personnel was partly to blame.

Did not coach for the Jets last year. Hired by Bowles last January. After Jauron met the Turk here, April went to the Iggles and then to Oakland last 2 years.

I don't know why he did so poorly with the Jets but made lemonade out of lemons here.

I'd love to see him back.

Did he make lemonade out of lemons here, or did we keep ST players at the expense of depth on O and D? Open question, I really have no idea

ST were a big factor in both of their losses to the Bills. Scapegoat!

Maybe so. That shanked punt gave us 7 points, didn't it? Plus they missed a field goal. Then fumbled kickoff on our first meeting. I can see where they think upon further review, ST had a lot to do with keeping them out of the playoffs and April responsible for ST so....

Not just April, his assistant coach (Rex hold-over) and assistant OL coach (also Rex holdover). Housekeeping.

Edited by Hopeful

Wow.

Get r done, buddy!!!

I was just googling him the other day, wishing we had him back. Best ST coach the bills have had in

My lifetime.

He was great until the wedge rules changed. Then he became bad

Well their punter flat out sucked all year, their kicker nick folk tore his ACL early on and they had to sign bullock, and they put a rookie back on KOR who had never returned kicks. Not sure whose decision that was. Punt returns were about as bad as ours with Kerley.

there is such a strange phenomena with sports fans thinking that all of the sudden a good coach can just forget how to do their job and therefore need to be fired.

it defies all logic and reality, but is still prevalent, even by a few in this very thread.

If you have weak special teams it can be one of two things: personnel or coaching. It can also be bad or good luck if you look at a small sample like one or two games--but if you look at the body of work by a special teams coach, they either have a knack for the profession or they don't.

Bobby has the knack. He's proven it over and over again. Maybe he has been places where they don't have the personnel, but he gets the most out of his guys and we all know it. Looking at Crossman's record, it includes his squad in Detroit giving up a punt return AND a kickoff return in the same game. Why not give Bobby his job back?