Megatron to retire? (Update- he is done)

YoloinOhio

Potentially big news developing on Megatron -->

Dave Birkett, Lions beat writer for Detroit Free Press

@davebirkett

I've thought he & the Lions would work things out, but people who know him better than me think retirement possible

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mikegarafolo

$12.5m non-guaranteed base salary next year. Might be lowered but still would walk away from a lot of coin.

@MikeGarafolo Actually, $15.95m. This past season was $12.5m.

@ttwentyman

Statement from Lions: We obviously have profound respect for Calvin and certainly understand and appreciate his decision (cont)

...to give proper thought and consideration to his football future.

24mill cap hit for lions next year

@rand_getlin

Was told prior to the season that Calvin Johnson was considering retiring this year or next.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ever since Borland/Willis, I'm convinced that players on their own time and money are getting checked for CTE.

Is it coincidence that UCLA discovered an approach to test for it in a living body in 2013?

Megatron is weighing the difference between having a net worth of $50M and sure health for the next 60 years of life and potentially $60M net worth. For these giant contract guys early retirement makes sense. Kind of surprised we haven't seen one of the top QBs bail out of the game early.

Edited by Charles Romes

Megatron has a $16M salary and a $24M cap hit in 2016. There's been a ton of talk about his deal being restructured to lower that which makes me wonder if this is about him wanting out of Detroit as a free agent. Or maybe he's just giving an early indication that he won't be taking a pay cut.