#2 QB next year

HT02

When it's your last chance and the QB needs to lead the team to a score to win or tie and he instead throws a pick (twice) or fumbles twice on the same play resulting in not getting a first in fourth or decides to come back out and play when he can't even throw, then yeah, he did.

Yes, I can see how that's exactly the same as turning the ball over 3 times for 21 points.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. If the Bills want EJ this coming year he is pretty cheap. If they want him in 2017 it goes up to 10+ mil.

If and only if they exercise his 5th year option. If they offer him a new contract after next season, it's for whatever both sides agree it is for.

Lol. It's not about Taylor's response, it's about the drama surrounding the situation. If Taylor's the guy, then he's the guy. Don't muddy it up in the locker room and with the media/fans. The difference with the QBs we've had in the past is that they weren't good. Taylor is.

I thought the difference from the QBs we've had in the past is at the time we handed them the keys and avoided "muddying it up", we thought they were good. And now we think Taylor is good. Which means there might be a difference, or there might not be, since we haven't yet seen if Taylor will 1) fill in the gaps in his game and play consistently more like he did vs Jets 2) be able to throw >30 times a game without us taking a loss 3) learn to slide

He blew those games up? What?

Isn't it funny the lengths that people will go to defend EJ? That Jags game was an abomination. He is a nice guy but a bad QB. Tyrod is a nice guy and, so far, a good (not great) QB. We don't need to downplay his on field accomplishments to try to justify our preseason opinions that EJ is a better player (or even close). There is a chasm between the two players as of now. I hope that EJ can develop into a competent backup because I think that he will be here next year. Edited by Kirby Jackson

If and only if they exercise his 5th year option. If they offer him a new contract after next season, it's for whatever both sides agree it is for.

Right. In fact, the deadline may already have passed for the Bills to inform EJ and his agent that they intend to pick up that option. Not sure about that, but there was an article about those 2017 options a few weeks ago pertaining to that.

I don't mind EJ Manuel as a backup qb. I find it amusing that people are certain that other teams' backup qb's would've be better because they've never really played. How in God's name could anyone possibly know that Matt McGloin is a "good" backup qb. That being said, what's way more amusing are the people defending EJ's play in the Jacksonville game. Dude he cost us the game. That's it.

Yes, EJ gave them 21 points, but it is a team game, we did have a lead in the 4th Q after 11 points by O and then pick6. Our D let it slip. One can usually pull out a handful of plays to finger point and say "this cost us the game". To me it's not so much defending EJ, but objecting to the ridiculous extremes some people are going to, saying he can't throw or it was the worst performance by a QB ever in any NFL game. Such stuff! The fact is, most QB have meltdowns on occasion, including rightly famous HOF QB. When you look at the big picture, it's not good but it's not so bad as people make it out.

I actually started a long post and scrubbed it saying "not worth my effort" but just for some factual perspective - here is part of it, a list of QB who have completed games with a passer rating of zero. How bad does a guy have to be to go there? "a QB must have no touchdowns, complete no more than 30% of his pass attempts, average less than 3 yards per attempt and throw an interception on at least 9.5% of attempts" (with >10 passes). If people care to check it out, you'll find names like Unitas, Griese, Kemp, Bradshaw (3x), Warren Moon, and all 3 Mannings, Yes indeedy, the Mannings have a shared record you don't hear too much about. This isn't to say EJ's a great or even a good QB, it's just to say that 1) the Jax game wasn't as bad for him as a QB (taken as a whole) as some people see it, and 2) a bad game, even a gawdawful bad game, doesn't make a guy the worst NFL QB ever or mean he's incapable of playing.

You may well be the only one. EJ's experience was basically bad and he has little skill, such as throwing accurately and having a sense for the game, that can be developed. You don't learn those things.

Said many people about Alex Smith and Blaine Gabbert, a lot.

Edited by Hopeful

Isn't it funny the lengths that people will go to defend EJ? That Jags game was an abomination. He is a nice guy but a bad QB. Tyrod is a nice guy and, so far, a good (not great) QB. We don't need to downplay his on field accomplishments to try to justify our preseason opinions that EJ is a better player (or even close). There is a chasm between the two players as of now. I hope that EJ can develop into a competent backup because I think that he will be here next year.

It was. Now it's not. Now it's just tiresome.

Isn't it funny the lengths that people will go to defend EJ?

I think that the point some people are trying to make is not to "defend" or "attack" anyone, or argue that one guy is better than another. I think it is that criticism of EJ, this year's goat (not to be confused with GOAT) gets overblown and exaggerated (yes, those 3 turnovers in the 2nd Q were awful, but the entire game was not an abomination unless you have new worse words for QB games that really are). And I think that Tyrod, this year's hero (not to be confused with a sandwich) sometimes gets a pass on some highly questionable game decisions and gaps in his game.

Perspective, grasshoppers.

You are delusional. Or didn't even watch that game.

That might've been the worst football I've ever seen played by a Bills QB. He gave that game away. He sucked all the air out of the team that day.

Absolutely terrible.

Looks like they played it tough until the last 2 Jax plays. Bs he sucked all the air out. He may be dilusional. But you are definitely taking it to the extreme. 3 plays leading to 2 tds and a field goal... which WAS NOT a direct result of EJ. Bortles was not bottled up. Yeldon looned good. And who the FRICK were the WRs who killed us... Please stop. Had it been tyrod... how resilient would it have been. How he put the team on his back and rallied the team back... STOP IT!!! Sendationalist journalism isnt your thing.

I think that the point some people are trying to make is not to "defend" or "attack" anyone, or argue that one guy is better than another. I think it is that criticism of EJ, this year's goat (not to be confused with GOAT) gets overblown and exaggerated (yes, those 3 turnovers in the 2nd Q were awful, but the entire game was not an abomination unless you have new worse words for QB games that really are). And I think that Tyrod, this year's hero (not to be confused with a sandwich) sometimes gets a pass on some highly questionable game decisions and gaps in his game.

Perspective, grasshoppers.

It's the way that the conversations have been phrased and the poster is important. There are a lot of people that drew a line in the sand with the QB battle and pledged their undying allegiance to a particular player. Once the conversation was CLEARLY settled the people who sided with the wrong player became Kamikazee pilots. They did everything in their power to keep the conversation going with really odd, weird arguments to try to prove their point.

Instead of saying "EJ was terrible vs. Jax" they try to justify it with "the defense blew the game" or better yet "if he was so bad why was that the highest passing yardage?" When your QB hands the other team 21 points you have to throw to try to get back in the game!!! Teams play more conservatively on defense because they don't want to give up big plays to let the team back in the game. If the Bills couldn't throw on a garbage defense, playing conservatively they couldn't throw against anyone.

Tyrod is not perfect. He is a middle of the road NFL starter at this point. We should be thrilled with that!! If anyone says that they predicted the level of QB that we got this year, they are lying. He has upside and some things that we should be genuinely excited about regardless of who you supported prior to the year and no matter how hard you banged the table for a particular guy. It's time to let it go and analyze each player on their own merits. The comparison days are over. As I said earlier there is a chasm between the two players at the moment. It isn't a 1 and 1A situation. As soon as we can all agree to this we can go back to discussions about "whether Tyrod can learn to work the middle of the field" or "whether or not EJ can play at the .500 level that Whaley wants from his backup." There is no longer a reason to be talking about the players in the same breath.

This thread is about the #2 QB next year. I prefer a cerebral vet (Hasselbeck) and a young mid round guy (Doughty). I think that EJ will be the #2 though so I hope that he improves. He is a nice guy, with a good work ethic and is a great teammate. He needs to go through progressions better and be more decisive. He is capable of making plays but he needs to be more consistent on doing so.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

You know....it is interesting that you say that

EJ Manuel has NOT been a interception prone qb prior to that jacksonville game

The more I think about it the more I think the work has to be looked at as a whole

I am NOT saying EJ is a good QB.....only that I think the label of interception prone is probably not fair either

I think that as soon as he starting "letting it rip" he started "turning it over"

Bullseye

Yes, EJ gave them 21 points, but it is a team game, we did have a lead in the 4th Q after 11 points by O and then pick6. Our D let it slip. One can usually pull out a handful of plays to finger point and say "this cost us the game". To me it's not so much defending EJ, but objecting to the ridiculous extremes some people are going to, saying he can't throw or it was the worst performance by a QB ever in any NFL game. Such stuff! The fact is, most QB have meltdowns on occasion, including rightly famous HOF QB. When you look at the big picture, it's not good but it's not so bad as people make it out.

I actually started a long post and scrubbed it saying "not worth my effort" but just for some factual perspective - here is part of it, a list of QB who have completed games with a passer rating of zero. How bad does a guy have to be to go there? "a QB must have no touchdowns, complete no more than 30% of his pass attempts, average less than 3 yards per attempt and throw an interception on at least 9.5% of attempts" (with >10 passes). If people care to check it out, you'll find names like Unitas, Griese, Kemp, Bradshaw (3x), Warren Moon, and all 3 Mannings, Yes indeedy, the Mannings have a shared record you don't hear too much about. This isn't to say EJ's a great or even a good QB, it's just to say that 1) the Jax game wasn't as bad for him as a QB (taken as a whole) as some people see it, and 2) a bad game, even a gawdawful bad game, doesn't make a guy the worst NFL QB ever or mean he's incapable of playing.

Said many people about Alex Smith and Blaine Gabbert, a lot.

Bills had the ball after the Pick-6 and the Jax TD that followed, with a chance to take the lead again. Unfortunately, EJ was no longer going up against the Jax prevent defense, and he stumbled and bumbled his way into turning over the ball on downs. He is a proven POS of a QB (nice guy though). If TT goes down for a couple games again next year & the Bills miss the playoffs because their back-up QB is garbage, some heads may roll, and sad to say but it would only serve them right.

Edited by Rico

I think I'm the only one who's perfectly ok with EJ as our backup. It's slim pickings for a better backup, EJ has experience, is still developing, a good team player, and will be in year two of Roman's complicated system. If we replace EJ, I'd hope we replace him with someone else who has had experience with the system.

No, this makes sense, is what I want too. This team has many needs, and always will be behind with Ryan as the coach, so we need to direct our resources to more important areas of need. EJ had one horrible quarter, but otherwise played well, showed he could move his team effectively this year. Taylor had some very bad stretches too and is clearly going to be a high level franchise quarterback.

And EJ will continue to improve working with Taylor, as Taylor is rapidly gaining/improving skills that EJ needs to be a starter, and they seem to have a very solid relationship.

EJ and a project at #3

Unfortunately, this is likely. I think EJ's still guarnateed $3mil and no cap relief if cut......so, incremental cost to have him as backup is zero......Bills can't afford to pay another #2, since EJ will get his money anyhow if cut. Unfortunately, that means, unless TT stays healthy, more bad QB work from EJ. the meltdown in London was the end in terms of him being an NFL starter ever. Nice guy, but, over his head. Look for a rookie #3, and this time, he will be elgible for the Practice Squad. Sims refused to come back to the Bills from the Falcons practice squad. Rex was right in bringing him over from the Jests, he would have been a better stopgap than EJ when TT went down. But, the front office blew it with the fine print regarding the practice squad rules.

I have never seen the likes of what ej did in 3 plays in any professional sport.

Sure, you have, they were just separated by a few more defensive plays.

Well, maybe you haven't cuz, young and not watched much

I would like to give a kid like Dak Prescott a chance to be #2. EJ has had years to prove that he is a bad quarterback and has done exactly that, quite well I might add.

When the Bills can dump him and not use cap space in doing so, this is what they should and will do.

I can go with this. The AJ McCarron approach: 1) draft a guy in the mid rounds 2) stash him on reserve/non football injury for some "good reason" and let him learn for a season 3) bring him on as backup and kick the other backups to the curb if he outplays them

I could even go with draft a guy and kick EJ to the curb if Mr Draftee has a marvelous season and looks like "all that and a bag of chips". But this kick a QB to the curb that we're paying significant cap space for, and then use up additional cap space on new QB FA signings, that only plays when we got lots a cap space.

I can go with EJ is a bad QB too, with the proviso that good QB are in d**n short supply and the same applies to a lot of the backup QB in the league, they're as bad or worse.

I think I'm the only one who's perfectly ok with EJ as our backup. It's slim pickings for a better backup, EJ has experience, is still developing, a good team player, and will be in year two of Roman's complicated system. If we replace EJ, I'd hope we replace him with someone else who has had experience with the system.

I agree. He'd accept his role as a backup but prepare and be ready if his number was called. He played like **** the first 25 minutes of the Jacksonville game, but actually rallied the team with Marcus Easley any Chris Gragg. It was the defense that lost that one. The Bengals were just a better team.