#2 QB next year

HT02

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do fans want to constantly reinvent the wheel when it comes to the quarterback position? Tyrod earned the starting job. The intent going forward is for him to be the starting quarterback. Does New England care that Jimmy Garropolo is the their backup? Are they running out to the draft or free agency because they don't think he's good enough? Of course not. I would sit tight with EJ at this point. He knows his role with the team and wants to be here. The Bills will have a lot of holes to fill going into this offseason. The QB holding the clip board is not one of them.

Draft one.

I think it's in everyone's best interests to have E.J. find another place to play.

Really?

1) the Bills have salary cap issues

2) EJ's 2016 salary is fully guaranteed, giving the Bills $2.8M dead money if we cut him. And make no mistake - there's been enough smoke about cut EJ in the B'Lo media, supposedly from OBD, that no team is gonna trade for him.

3) a rookie is always a dark horse, even a rookie with a good rookie OTA. Maybe he'll get it in one off season, maybe he won't

4) Even Blaine Gabbert finally looked like a real NFL QB - in his 5th NFL season

I think all that said, it's in the Bills best interests to keep EJ for 2016, at least through camp and preseason. I also think they should draft a QB. At the end of preseason, if the rookie has "got it" and is playing lights out, he stays and EJ goes. If he doesn't look like all that and a bag of chips, he goes onto PS and EJ stays.

I don't mind EJ Manuel as a backup qb. I find it amusing that people are certain that other teams' backup qb's would've be better because they've never really played. How in God's name could anyone possibly know that Matt McGloin is a "good" backup qb. That being said, what's way more amusing are the people defending EJ's play in the Jacksonville game. Dude he cost us the game. That's it.

I think I'm the only one who's perfectly ok with EJ as our backup. It's slim pickings for a better backup, EJ has experience, is still developing, a good team player, and will be in year two of Roman's complicated system. If we replace EJ, I'd hope we replace him with someone else who has had experience with the system.

Kap - just kidding

I don't mind EJ Manuel as a backup qb. I find it amusing that people are certain that other teams' backup qb's would've be better because they've never really played. How in God's name could anyone possibly know that Matt McGloin is a "good" backup qb. That being said, what's way more amusing are the people defending EJ's play in the Jacksonville game. Dude he cost us the game. That's it.

Because I have actually watched McGloin unlike most here and he is the definition of backup qb

when he steps on the field he provides a spark

if he plays more then 3 games a year then he doesnt play as well

I think EJ has a $10 million option next year if he is on the roster March 1st. He is going to get cut.

Read this article from Spotrac. Either they aren't aware of this option or it doesn't exist.

Its a team (not player) option for the 5th year, which I would believe should be more than 10.6 Million (2016 option #, rounded) for 2017. Spotrac can not give an exact salary # for EJ in 2017 because the option is based on current QB contracts at the time the option is optioned, as it is an average of the 3rd - 25th highest contracts at the QB position at the time.

I found this article that I had read before and explains the process pretty well: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25140831/agents-take-a-guide-to-fifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks

Its a team (not player) option for the 5th year, which I would believe should be more than 10.6 Million (2016 option #, rounded) for 2017. Spotrac can not give an exact salary # for EJ in 2017 because the option is based on current QB contracts at the time the option is optioned, as it is an average of the 3rd - 25th highest contracts at the QB position at the time.

I found this article that I had read before and explains the process pretty well: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25140831/agents-take-a-guide-to-fifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks

Right. If the Bills want EJ this coming year he is pretty cheap. If they want him in 2017 it goes up to 10+ mil.

When is the last time he's stepped on the field? Honest question.

2015?

Right. If the Bills want EJ this coming year he is pretty cheap. If they want him in 2017 it goes up to 10+ mil.

This is why we need to draft a qb

They will probably keep EJ this next year.....doesnt make financial sense not to......but we need another QB in the bullpen

2015?

This is why we need to draft a qb

They will probably keep EJ this next year.....doesnt make financial sense not to......but we need another QB in the bullpen

We have serious cap problems, I don't see us cutting EJ with no savings. It would be nice to draft a QB but what's the point of 3 QBs at this point when one of them is EJ? He's a project QB with no upside.

I think I'm the only one who's perfectly ok with EJ as our backup. It's slim pickings for a better backup, EJ has experience, is still developing, a good team player, and will be in year two of Roman's complicated system. If we replace EJ, I'd hope we replace him with someone else who has had experience with the system.

Did you watch the London game? EJ showed he is not a starting or back QB. IMO

EJ Manuel is the Bryce Brown of QBs. You just can't trust him with the ball.

You know....it is interesting that you say that

EJ Manuel has NOT been a interception prone qb prior to that jacksonville game

The more I think about it the more I think the work has to be looked at as a whole

I am NOT saying EJ is a good QB.....only that I think the label of interception prone is probably not fair either

I think that as soon as he starting "letting it rip" he started "turning it over"

You are delusional. Or didn't even watch that game.

That might've been the worst football I've ever seen played by a Bills QB. He gave that game away. He sucked all the air out of the team that day.

Absolutely terrible.

Worst football ever played by a Bills QB?

There were certainly a few minutes in that game where EJ was pathetically awful. But you either must be young to assert 'worst ever' or have a very short memory.

Did you never watch Kay Stephenson line up under center in a Bills uni? Or Gary Marangi? OR Bruce Mathison? Or Joe Dufek? Or Dan Manucci? Or Bryan McClure? Or Willie Totten? Or even the great Brian Brohm?

Our franchise has been blessed with truly horrible quarterbacks.

Worst football ever played by a Bills QB?

There were certainly a few minutes in that game where EJ was pathetically awful. But you either must be young to assert 'worst ever' or have a very short memory.

Did you never watch Kay Stephenson line up under center in a Bills uni? Or Gary Marangi? OR Bruce Mathison? Or Joe Dufek? Or Dan Manucci? Or Bryan McClure? Or Willie Totten? Or even the great Brian Brohm?

Our franchise has been blessed with truly horrible quarterbacks.

What is interesting is that if EJ actually brings the team all the way back he probably is not looked at in the way he is now

but....it is a performance based business. No moral victories