2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

as stated earlier in this thread I'm a huge fan of Weight as well. If we could trade down and pick up an extra 2nd and somehow grab Cravens, an OT and Wright with our first 3 picks along with a NT later in the draft like Reader, Id be pretty happy. Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love Cravens as a Will in a 3-4...in fact I think that's probably his best fit in the pros.

He's got enough size and speed to match against TEs, and his ball skills seem to be getting better. He acquits himself nicely in the run game for a guy that doesn't crest 220 lbs.

I think 49 is a great spot to pick him if you're the Bills, but I also think that the rise of players like Mark Barron, Kwon Alexander, and Deone Bucannon will probably push him into the 30-40 range.

Indeed...they also spoke with him at the Collegiate Bowl back in January.

Really hope there's some interest there.

cravens is coming in for a visit so they are definitely interested.

@AaronWilson_NFL

UH linebacker Elandon Roberts boosts stock at Pro Day http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/UH-linebacker-Elandon-Roberts-boosts-stock-at-Pro-7040273.php

Among the NFL teams Roberts says he has spoken with and have shown interest in him: the Arizona Cardinals, San Diego Chargers, Green Bay Packers, Los Angeles Rams, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills, Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets.

cravens is coming in for a visit so they are definitely interested.

I might be way off-base here, but I think this is a big projection to think he can play 3-4 OLB in the NFL at between 215-225lbs. Unless they are planning to move him back to safety, I don't know what the Bills would do with him. Maybe he can play OLB in a 4-3.

Aaron Maybin was considerably taller and probably as athletic, but he couldn't carry the necessary weight. I have concerns that Cravens won't be able to, either (at several inches shorter than Maybin).

I might be way off-base here, but I think this is a big projection to think he can play 3-4 OLB in the NFL at between 215-225lbs. Unless they are planning to move him back to safety, I don't know what the Bills would do with him. Maybe he can play OLB in a 4-3.

Aaron Maybin was considerably taller and probably as athletic, but he couldn't carry the necessary weight. I have concerns that Cravens won't be able to, either (at several inches shorter than Maybin).

nickel 3-4 ILB Edited by YoloinOhio

at 215-225? That is quite outside the prototype. Doesn't mean he can't succeed, but where does the inside run D come from?

hes of the newer prototype of hybrid LB/safety. He has the ability to match up against the increasing percentage of sub-packages that offenses are running now. Regardless of size he can fight off blocks (vs just run past them). He compares to Deon Buchanan of Arizons as an example. Denver often uses TJ Ward as a safety/LB hybrid in a 3-4.

hes of the newer prototype of hybrid LB/safety. He has the ability to match up against the increasing percentage of sub-packages that offenses are running now. Regardless of size he can fight off blocks (vs just run past them). He compares to Deon Buchanan of Arizons as an example. Denver often uses TJ Ward as a safety/LB hybrid in a 3-4.

Arizona (where Buchannon plays) has a 260 lb OLB on one side and a 270+ OLB on the other. I think you have to have some size on the field or teams will run you over on the ground.

I am not saying that there isn't a fit in the NFL for Cravens, but if you have him playing ILB, you ought to have some othenBIG LBs. The Cards are playing 5 DL-sized guys on D and also have a HUGE 219lb CB in Patrick Peterson on the field.

Arizona (where Buchannon plays) has a 260 lb OLB on one side and a 270+ OLB on the other. I think you have to have some size on the field or teams will run you over on the ground.

I am not saying that there isn't a fit in the NFL for Cravens, but if you have him playing ILB, you ought to have some othenBIG LBs. The Cards are playing 5 DL-sized guys on D and also have a HUGE 219lb CB in Patrick Peterson on the field.

im not sure if it has to mirror exactly what they do, it is just one player comparison. if the DL features three quality run-stuffing DL and a good LB roaming the middle you can get away with having fewer players in run support and bring in more players to blitz or play coverage. Since we don't know yet exactly what the front 7 will look like in 2016 its hard to say where a player like Cravens fits but he's certainly a big time playmaker.

Could potentially match up with Gronk and all the good TEs who we will face this year - Eifert, Ladarius green, Jimmy Graham, Barnidge (yes Barnidge is a stud), every team has one now.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Thats a really good day, any word on cone/shuttle/position drill results?

Update:

Brandt had Elandon Roberts at 4.26 in the short shuttle and 7.23 in the 3-cone. Those marks would have put him 6th and 14th among LBs at the Combine, respectively. Solid, solid numbers.

Apparently he also did defensive back drills at his workout in an effort to show scouts that he can indeed make his mark in coverage.

Gil still has him rated as an UDFA, but I think he's a day 3 pick for sure.

Biggest remaining roster hole for all 32 NFL teams

Buffalo Bills

Linebacker

It's not even close. After spending to retain left tackle Cordy Glenn and guard Richie Incognito, the Bills didn't have the cap space left to re-sign linebacker Nigel Bradham. Not only do the Bills need to find a replacement for Bradham, but coach Rex Ryan said last week that he needs middle linebacker Preston Brown to "step up" this season. Ryan's defenses have been successful over the years because of linebackers such as Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and David Harris; the Bills don't have anyone like that on their roster. -- Mike Rodak

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x160330/biggest-remaining-roster-hole-all-32-nfl-teams-free-agency-2016

Biggest remaining roster hole for all 32 NFL teams

Buffalo Bills

Linebacker

It's not even close. After spending to retain left tackle Cordy Glenn and guard Richie Incognito, the Bills didn't have the cap space left to re-sign linebacker Nigel Bradham. Not only do the Bills need to find a replacement for Bradham, but coach Rex Ryan said last week that he needs middle linebacker Preston Brown to "step up" this season. Ryan's defenses have been successful over the years because of linebackers such as Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and David Harris; the Bills don't have anyone like that on their roster. -- Mike Rodak

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x160330/biggest-remaining-roster-hole-all-32-nfl-teams-free-agency-2016

Reggie Ragland becomes that guy.

Are we signing up for the next Bryan Scott? No thank you.

I don't want Ragland in the first. This is not the 1980's

He's more versatile than people are giving him credit for.

In Rex's defense, he can play the middle in both 3-4 and 4-3 and push Brown to the weak side. That's a great scenario for us.

He's more versatile than people are giving him credit for.

In Rex's defense, he can play the middle in both 3-4 and 4-3 and push Brown to the weak side. That's a great scenario for us.

Can he cover? His 40 time was not that impressive. I want athletes at LB. The 3-4 is all about athletic, attacking LBers

Can he cover? His 40 time was not that impressive. I want athletes at LB. The 3-4 is all about athletic, attacking LBers

With his background in basketball, he has great footwork. Not the fastest guy, but he has good technique. Very little wasted motion when he's keeping up with a TE or slot receiver. I'm fine with him covering tight ends. Would I rather have him blowing up runs and spying QBs/RBs all game? Yeah.

Bills were at Yannick Ngakoue's pro day today. Really good player IMO. Would be good fit as OLB.

Yes to Ngakoue on day 3.

He's raw in his pass rush skill set, but he's got great explosion traits and a very strong motor.

Between he and Matt Judon, I'm hoping one of them ends up going to Buffalo in the 5th

@RapSheet

At #NotreDame Pro Day, LB Jaylon Smith lifted for scouts. Obviously, he's limited in what he can do. Combine medical recheck will be telling

@ChrisBrownBills

Chris Brown Retweeted Ian Rapoport

24 reps for Smith, OT Ronnie Stanley 24 as well per @APGroover

I would use my second round pick (49) on Jaylon Smith. doubt he's still there.

Seriously

Morrison is Spikes-like in his 2-down projection

He's immense fun to watch because he plays like his hair is on fire. Just way too limited.

His off-field resume is even better. Punched a bouncer after giving him the 'Don't you know who I am? I AM ANTONIO!!' speech. Arrested for barking at a police dog, resisting arrest in the process. Has a tattoo that says 'Don't trust me'.

The difference though is you are using a 1st on Ragland vs. a late round pick on Morrison. They can justify a late round pick on a run stuffer.

It's pretty obvious that anyone with a 1st round grade on Ragland doesn't see him solely as a run stuffer. If Ragland is limited, Morrison has no place in the NFL.

It's pretty obvious that anyone with a 1st round grade on Ragland doesn't see him solely as a run stuffer. If Ragland is limited, Morrison has no place in the NFL.

I don't disagree. It's like comparing Goff to Brandon Allen though. Goff should be a better prospect. He's going to go 5 rounds earlier. Ragland is not limited compared to Morrison but he is when compared to other 1st rounders IMO. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't disagree. It's like comparing Goff to Brandon Allen though. Goff should be a better prospect. He's going to go 5 rounds earlier. Ragland is not limited compared to Morrison but he is when compared to other 1st rounders IMO.

The big toss-up is Ragland vs Lee with this class. Ragland is the smarter, cleaner technical player. Lee is the athlete.

The way I look at them, there's only one clear cut 1st round pick and it's not Lee. Potential means that they have to figure it out still. I know what Reggie is and I'm comfortable with him playing the majority of snaps. I think there's a mass disconnect between what linebackers are asked to do and what people think they're asked to do.

It's like with Paul Dawson last year. He ran slow as **** at the Combine but he's still smarter than 19-20 guys on the field at any given point. Those smarts give him the headstart and it's the same with Ragland. Lee runs 4.47, Ragland runs 4.72. If Reggie sees the play develop 0.25 seconds faster than Lee, where's the difference in 'play speed'?