2016 Draft D-line thread

Beerball

Rankins in the first. I would also consider Josh Doctson, Jack Conklin, and Andrew Billings

out of the players you listed, im all in on Rankins. we need a solid Start ready DT/NT to free up Darus. Docston is dope too but wouldnt take him in the 1st.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out of the players you listed, im all in on Rankins. we need a solid Start ready DT/NT to free up Darus. Docston is dope too but wouldnt take him in the 1st.

Rankins is not a NT at all, he'd be much more miscast/wasted talent wise there than Dareus was. 3-Tech all day, reminds me of a Gerald McCoy a little. He and Dareus could do some real damage together as interior rushers. I dont see him making it to 19.

@walterfootball

2016 NFL Draft Defensive Tackle Prospect Review. Comparing them to the 2015 DTs, ranking them by attribute - http://walterfootball.com/draft2016positionreviewDT.php

nice article especially for someone who does not watch college ball, like me.

just say no

Rankins in the first. I would also consider Josh Doctson, Jack Conklin, and Andrew Billings

this is going to be brutal.

so much quality defensive candy, filing a need for Buffalo

Rankins is not a NT at all, he'd be much more miscast/wasted talent wise there than Dareus was. 3-Tech all day, reminds me of a Gerald McCoy a little. He and Dareus could do some real damage together as interior rushers. I dont see him making it to 19.

tell me your pick. and why, if you would be so kind.

I do not know much, but its seems Rex could find a run down nose later on in the draft as compared to at 19. Which is another reason i hope very much for trade down opportunity

tell me your pick. and why, if you would be so kind.

I do not know much, but its seems Rex could find a run down nose later on in the draft as compared to at 19. Which is another reason i hope very much for trade down opportunity

My pick at 19 if it were all roses would be Myles Jack, more realistically Darron Lee, but I dont think he'll be there either at this point. Ideally, my pick at 19 is a LB who can cover, a thumper like Ragland is like you said about a nose, better served by addressing it later in the draft.

After that it would depend on who's still on the board. If (little to no chance IMO) Goff or Wentz is there, I'd take'm in heart beat, especially Wentz. If DL value is there and nothing else, it depends, Billings could play the nose and he has 3rd down ability, I would consider him at 19 depending on who's left only because he can provide a interior rush and 2 gap, freeing Dareus and Williams up. Jarron Reed I'd consider, he has decent 3rd down upside (similar effect on 99 and 95). Vernon Butler is a movable player along the DL and would be a good rotational guy year 1, starter when 95 moves on or gets injured. Rankins who I think will be long gone, but should he fall I would grab, but as a replacement for 95 and rotational guy outside of the nose. I really like the thought of grabbing DJ Reader in the 4th round area to be the future nose, not as much 3rd down potential but he allows 99 and 95 to attack more in base D, 3rd down (sliding them inside more) and run downs.

Depending on who's available, trading down is a good option IMO as well.

My pick at 19 if it were all roses would be Myles Jack, more realistically Darron Lee, but I dont think he'll be there either at this point. Ideally, my pick at 19 is a LB who can cover, a thumper like Ragland is like you said about a nose, better served by addressing it later in the draft.

After that it would depend on who's still on the board. If (little to no chance IMO) Goff or Wentz is there, I'd take'm in heart beat, especially Wentz. If DL value is there and nothing else, it depends, Billings could play the nose and he has 3rd down ability, I would consider him at 19 depending on who's left only because he can provide a interior rush and 2 gap, freeing Dareus and Williams up. Jarron Reed I'd consider, he has decent 3rd down upside (similar effect on 99 and 95). Vernon Butler is a movable player along the DL and would be a good rotational guy year 1, starter when 95 moves on or gets injured. Rankins who I think will be long gone, but should he fall I would grab, but as a replacement for 95 and rotational guy outside of the nose. I really like the thought of grabbing DJ Reader in the 4th round area to be the future nose, not as much 3rd down potential but he allows 99 and 95 to attack more in base D, 3rd down (sliding them inside more) and run downs.

Depending on who's available, trading down is a good option IMO as well.

Thanks for elaborating. I know some others here have a similar opinion as to what the line might fare best with.

I might guess nailing the linebackers will be more important for the Bills, due to how many D linemen could be available. Be an interesting first day in the draft to see who is there at 19!

Reading the Walter football breakdown finally I wold pleased with anyone mentioned.

I would stay away from that goofbucket Robert N. No need for risk that high in the draft with so much sure fire talent.

thanks again

Thanks for elaborating. I know some others here have a similar opinion as to what the line might fare best with.

I might guess nailing the linebackers will be more important for the Bills, due to how many D linemen could be available. Be an interesting first day in the draft to see who is there at 19!

Reading the Walter football breakdown finally I wold pleased with anyone mentioned.

I would stay away from that goofbucket Robert N. No need for risk that high in the draft with so much sure fire talent.

thanks again

i think Nkemdiche will have a similar draft fall to Randy Gregory's last year. Will probably go mid to late 2nd and be looked at as a potential steal if he straightens up - then he will probably just be who he is and one of those up and down players where you get flashes and then suspensions.

i think Nkemdiche will have a similar draft fall to Randy Gregory's last year. Will probably go mid to late 2nd and be looked at as a potential steal if he straightens up - then he will probably just be who he is and one of those up and down players where you get flashes and then suspensions.

I can guess, but Buffalo is in no position for luxury/risk picks this year Like Jaylon either.

Impact players need to fill in the defensive holes. IMHO.

@cover1eturner

CeWGLeiUkAAfshI.jpg

If you study Doug Whaley’s drafts, you will realize that he really trusts his ACC scout. He has drafted 12 players from the ACC since since 2013. The conference has injected the NFL with some tremendous talent the last few years. It is also no secret that Rex Ryan has seen his share of ACC games, since his son Seth attends Clemson University.

I am sure that Rex has fallen in love with many Clemson players. Dabo Sweeney has recruited some amazing athletes and put them in positions to succeed. One of the most unheralded players for the Tigers has been defensive tackle DJ Reader. The 6’3″, 330 pound nose tackle is exactly what the Bills need. Usually when I watch film on prospects I like to watch at least four games, with Reader after two games I knew who he was.

Walter Football lists the top 3-4 NTs as, in this order:

Kenny Clark

Jarran Reed

A'Shawn Robinson

Vernon Butler

Sheldon Rankins

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016positionreviewDT.php#IA0ctZp2AA4yAgrv.99

Reed is listed as best 5-tech and best run defender. If he is there, that's a good fit.

Yes please. The question is which round. He falls to round 6 and 7 in most mocks. No way does he last that long. I am guessing round 3 or 4

He goes to the Bills in RD3 in this week's DraftTek mock.

http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round3.asp

Edited by Astrobot

Kenny Clark

Jarran Reed

A'Shawn Robinson

Vernon Butler

Sheldon Rankins

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016positionreviewDT.php#IA0ctZp2AA4yAgrv.99

Reed is listed as best 5-tech and best run defender. If he is there, that's a good fit.He goes to the Bills in RD3 in this week's DraftTek mock.http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round3.asp

I don't see a lot of talk on here about Sheldon Day. How does he fit as a 3-4 nose?

I don't see a lot of talk on here about Sheldon Day. How does he fit as a 3-4 nose?

He is quite outside of the normal physical parameters for a 3-4 DL. Shorter, lighter and much less stout than a "standard" 3-4 DL, especially at NT.

Given that the current coaching staff is for the most part committed to a specific scheme, drafting a talented DL that doesn't fit there scheme would be a bad idea. I'd like to believe that they could take a talented player like Day and find a way to use him, but I don't think that is how this staff operates. I think they believe in their scheme, even if it means taking a "differently-talented" player that better matches what they want to do on defense.

I don't mean to sound too down on this topic, because you sort of have to run some sort of scheme - narrow or more broad, still you are looking for specific talents to fill the roles in that scheme. Pete Carroll had his vision of what defensive scheme he wanted to run and he brought in players to fit it - and they have been very successful. BB in NE has feasted on players that other teams didn't want, but fit his scheme.

Kenny Clark

Jarran Reed

A'Shawn Robinson

Vernon Butler

Sheldon Rankins

Reed is listed as best 5-tech and best run defender. If he is there, that's a good fit.

How is Andrew Billings not number 1, much less not on this list?

@NFL_CFB

#NFLDraft ceiling/floor, team fits for @OleMissFB's Robert Nkemdiche (via @BuckyBrooks) --> http://on.nfl.com/1VO5RWD

CefK1vZW4AETKuk.jpg
Today's subject: Ole Miss defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche

CEILING: Middle of the first round -- Oakland Raiders (No. 14 overall), Detroit Lions (No. 16), Buffalo Bills (No. 19).

FLOOR: Low first round/early second round -- Cincinnati Bengals (No. 24), Seattle Seahawks (No. 26), Arizona Cardinals (No. 29), Dallas Cowboys (No. 34).

Kenny Clark

Jarran Reed

A'Shawn Robinson

Vernon Butler

Sheldon Rankins

I like your 4th round picks Astro. :thumbsup:

@NFL_CFB

.@MoveTheSticks: "Robert Nkemdiche is a top-10 talent, but how can you take him in the top 10 when he has 5 games of 2 tackles or less?"

That's not a daunting task for a team who just saw their 100 million dollar man coast last season. 5x2 is 10, I wonder if Mario had any stretches of such high caliber play last season.

I took a quick look Mario had 2 or less tackles in six games and it only showed him on the stat sheet for 9 games...I'm going to assume the rest of those he had zero or DNP (jets).

19 tackles in a season....wow even Nkemdiche can half ass it and do more than that.

Edited by Commonsense

Everything I've read lists him as a NT and/or DT

He can be. It's just not his ideal spot and, right now at least, 0-/1-tech is not where he wants to be.

@alexmarvez

.@OleMissFB Robert Nkemdiche @TheLegendMerlin has 16 (!!!) private pre-draft workouts/meetings set per source #busy @NFLonFOX @SiriusXMNFL

Just means that teams still aren't sure about him...

Superb talent. Just needs to be taught (and to accept the teaching) on how to use it.

EDGE David Perkins from Illinois St. seems to be gaining a little steam following his pro day (at northwestern). He is an Ohio state transfer. Similar style as Noah Spence. 3-4 OLB. Ridiculous athlete. I believe his issues were academic.

Edited by YoloinOhio

EDGE David Perkins from Illinois St. seems to be gaining a little steam following his pro day (at northwestern). He is an Ohio state transfer. Similar style as Noah Spence. 3-4 OLB. Ridiculous athlete. I believe his issues were academic.

No good, we need smart LBs for Rex's phonebook :lol:

@SiriusXMNFL

The Big DT from the University of @BUFootball, @BillingsAndrew is live on Movin the Chains right now with Mills and Pat!

@BillingsAndrew: I think the player I resemble the most is @wilfork75. They way he splits double teams, that's something I can do.

Some numbers on Andrew Billings in the wt room-605 bench, 905 squat, power clean-475 for a total of 1,985!!! uses yoga to stay flexible!

@First_N_Goal1

First N Goal Retweeted Tony Pauline

@BuildingHerd

Yannick Ngakoue Scouting Report: Maryland EDGE an Intriguing Draft Option for #Bills http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/yannick-ngakoue-scouting-report/

Ce62HpdVAAAz8Tj.jpg