2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

Everything goes through pegula. so if they pulls this type of shenanigan in the first round without a trade down, ya gotta question the whole groop on the yacht !

I hope we don't have too. This draft aligns well with some of our needs. I hope they play this one straight and do what makes sense. TT offers a fairly certain floor at QB don't make a panic move for a total project in round 1.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we don't have too. This draft aligns well with some of our needs. I hope they play this one straight and do what makes sense. TT offers a fairly certain floor at QB don't make a panic move for a total project in round 1.

The logical move is to find a project in later rounds.

if Whaley is in heat for Lynch early we have a problem. Either TT inspires little confidence or Whaley is off the deep end and full of himself trying to swing for some imaginary fence. This draft needs to refill the roster

I'm pretty sure Roman can take Prescott/ Boykin/Brisett/Hogan and make him into the QB he wants him to be.

He runs a very QB-friendly system, so his priority would be to get a guy with specific intangibles between the 2ND - 5th rounds.

That being said, I love Tyrod and hope he's here long-term.

I'm pretty sure Roman can take Prescott/ Boykin/Brisett/Hogan and make him into the QB he wants him to be.

He runs a very QB-friendly system, so his priority would be to get a guy with specific intangibles between the 2ND - 5th rounds.

Why I want Boykin. He's like Tyrod in many respects. Ballsy when it comes to taking deep shots, would trust Sammy like he does with Josh Doctson.

Bills have a unique opportunity they've not had in a decade or so, they have a firmly entrenched, adequate starting QB to groom someone behind.

This is scary:

Kevin @KevinMassare 1h1 hour ago

I don't care what anyone says, I think Paxton Lynch is top of our draft board at 19/trade back.

Like him or not, Ole Road Sodas has had solid info in the past...I'll be very, very worried if Lynch is the pick.

And this regarding Whaley's statement that Tyrod is the starter:

Kevin @KevinMassare 1h1 hour ago

Kevin Retweeted Adam Benigni

AKA - So when we take a 1st round QB, don't freak out.

yep , Connor Cook

Interesting note on Rotoworld on everyone's favourite midget, Vernon Adams:

"Oregon QB Vernon Adams told Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle that he has not had a pre-draft visit or private workout with an NFL team during the draft process.

Adams did attend the Rams' local pro day, but that does not count in this scenario"

Source of the report - https://twitter.com/Eric_Branch/status/722996140900130816

You know, to me Hackenburg is the hidden gem. I've watched plenty of his clips and have noticed that most of his incompletions come off of bad foot work, bad O-line, and receiver drops.

To my point, whenever he throws on the run he is money. This happens because as he throws his front foot is where it needs to be. So, if when behind the pocket he utilizes precise footwork and throws off of the correct foot (step and throw) then he will have much more success, barring receiver drops and a bad O line.

Edited by JTO

Christian Hackenberg says he didn't blame James Franklin for his struggles at Penn State.

Cgk9zLWU8AAaWzG.jpg

@BobMcGinn

My 32nd NFL draft series begins with stunning about-face at top of QB class ...

@TyDunne

Tyler Dunne Retweeted Bob McGinn

Bob's series has begun at the JS. Mandatory pre-draft reading for all.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You know, to me Hackenburg is the hidden gem. I've watched plenty of his clips and have noticed that most of his incompletions come off of bad foot work, bad O-line, and receiver drops.

To my point, whenever he throws on the run he is money. This happens because as he throws his front foot is where it needs to be. So, if when behind the pocket he utilizes precise footwork and throws off of the correct foot (step and throw) then he will have much more success, barring receiver drops and a bad O line.

I am starting to come around to that assessment. However, my track record predicting pro success at qb is not generally good.

Also, I have some deja vu with the EJ draft year. I looked at all the qbs and finally decided EJ was the one most worth a shot, though I had seen him make many bad, inaccurate throws. The difference, perhaps, is that Hackenberg really did play under extreme duress and without great playmakers the last two years.

@AllbrightNFL

QB Spreadsheet will remain pinned for duration of draft season. My work 2008-2016: https://t.co/G3AJetDZ2s

Some other notes to dump here: Scouts compared Cal QB Jared Goff to Sam Bradford as a player-prospect, with Geno Smith's body type.

Wentz got comparisons that ranged from Bortles to Roethlisberger and one comparison each of Jason Campbell and Zac Dysert.

Christian Hackenberg was most commonly compared to Derek Anderson and Sean Mannion. Connor Cook to Kyle Orton.

None of the 14 scouts surveyed thought Vernon Adams would get drafted, though each privately intimated they'd "take a late/camp shot on him"

Popular Day 3 "sleeper" QBs among those surveyed were Brandon Allen and Nate Sudfield

Dak Prescott's most popular comparison was Alex Smith, some threw the "Tebow with a better arm" out there as well.

Missed one: Paxton Lynch was compared to Brock Osweiler.

None of those comparisons, with the exception of Wentz to Roethlisberger, are anything designed to promote optimism.

I'll give you mine:

Goff - Matt Ryan

Wentz - Flacco (though more athletic)

Lynch - Ryan Leaf

Cook - Patrick Ramsay

Prescott- Tebow

Cardale Jones - Daunte Culpepper

For later guys, Allen has the look of a Kirk Cousins, and Doughty is physically/athletically very similar to Brady--he's also got the quick release. Doesn't mean he's got Brady's accuracy or head for the game, so please don't overreact

I'll give you mine:

Goff - Matt Ryan

Wentz - Flacco (though more athletic)

Lynch - Ryan Leaf

Cook - Patrick Ramsay

Prescott- Tebow

Cardale Jones - Daunte Culpepper

For later guys, Allen has the look of a Kirk Cousins, and Doughty is physically/athletically very similar to Brady--he's also got the quick release. Doesn't mean he's got Brady's accuracy or head for the game, so please don't overreact

Yours are more interesting. Any comparison for Hackenberg? Is the Lynch -- Leaf comparison rooted in personality and maturity or athletic ability? Any idea what round Doughty is slotted to be drafted? Thanks.

Yours are more interesting. Any comparison for Hackenberg? Is the Lynch -- Leaf comparison rooted in personality and maturity or athletic ability? Any idea what round Doughty is slotted to be drafted? Thanks.

I'll give you Brian Brohm for Hackenberg

These are all just physical/athletic comparisons...some are more researched than others.

I've got Doughty grades as a 4th/5th, but I've seen more than one analyst that has him as a fringe UDFA

I know there's not a lot of love for him on this board but I think Whaley tipped his hand a bit when he mentioned this guy as being most pro-ready.

I will say from watching all his games against Oregon, he was the one Pac12 QB that gave their defense fits every year, whether he had a great running back or not. I think he has the "it" factor and someone will get a long term starter with this choice. I'd probably be ok with Prescott or Jones or a couple others based on pure talent and taking a long shot on development if we were picking 4th round or later, but if I were picking a QB with the most starter potential outside of the top 3, this would be the guy. Big hands, decent runner, sees the field (a characteristic I hold in as high a regard as arm strength and accuracy). I like the comparison to Philip Rivers.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/draft/2016/prospects/kevin-hogan/

" three-year starter for a sophisticated pro-style offense. He has good size and can make all the throws that are needed to succeed in the NFL. Is a good decision maker and a strong leader. Has shown improvement every year and now is among the better senior quarterbacks in the coming NFL Draft. Has played a lot of football for Stanford and it shows. While he won't be ready to step in and play as a rookie, I see an eventual NFL starter for a winning NFL team. It would not surprise me if he went as high as the second round. This is the type of player who succeeds in the NFL because he has top intangibles."

The logical move is to find a project in later rounds.

if Whaley is in heat for Lynch early we have a problem. Either TT inspires little confidence or Whaley is off the deep end and full of himself trying to swing for some imaginary fence. This draft needs to refill the roster

Can you have both? Here's my simulation with all of our Analysts' Grabs also included for fairness:

1 19 Buffalo Paxton Lynch QB Memphis

2 49 Buffalo Kenny Clark DT34 UCLA

3 80 Buffalo Kyler Fackrell OLB34 Utah State

4 117 Buffalo Pearce Slater RT San Diego St

4 139 Buffalo T.J. Green FS Clemson

5 156 Buffalo Mehdi Abdesmad DE34 Boston College

6 192 Buffalo Kevin Byard SS Middle Tennessee

6 218 Buffalo James Burgess ILB Louisville