2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

How would you feel if we actually drafted him?

I've said more than once Cook reminds me of Roethlisberger, and if he ends up like him we will be celebrating Super Bowls.

(actually I like Wentz, he has that championship leadership and can really run the ball and is probably a better fit in Romans offense than Cook, I would be thrilled with both )

i would be excited if the Bills drafted Cook. I'm dying to know their evaluations of these guys. I've only seen Wentz once or twice. He was fine but top 5 pick to me seems like a huge stretch. Project. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be excited if the Bills drafted Cook. I'm dying to know their evaluations of these guys. I've only seen Wentz once or twice. He was fine but top 5 pick to me seems like a huge stretch. Project.

Here was my write-up on Cook:

Connor Cook – Michigan State, 6’4”, 220 lbs, Senior

http://draftbreakdow...enn-state-2015/

Notes (time in video relating to note):

- General comments: He’s got some raw material for sure, but there’s a lot that needs to be cleaned up. He has a lot of wasted movement in his upper body, and he gets a bit sloppy with his back foot on his follow-through, which causes some balls to sail (especially boundary throws). He also needs to protect the football better. On the plus side, he scans the whole field and seems to process things quickly.

- (0:12) gets loose with his upper body and exposes the ball during his drop-back

- (0:26) gets the ball out quickly on the screen; better ball placement expected

- (0:52) love this play—gets through the play-fake quickly and delivers an accurate deep strike. Ball’s gone in under 4 seconds, which is nice on a PA deep throw.

- (1:30) there’s the loose footwork again

- (2:10) doesn’t set his feet to throw, and it costs his receiver a YAC opportunity

- (2:50) this is a small play, but I like it. He climbs forward in the pocket and uses his safety valve, picking up 7 yards on 2nd-and-10.

- (3:17) maddening and impressive at the same time; he doesn’t drive off his plant foot at the back of his drop, which forces him to muscle the ball to the boundary. That said, it’s a big-time throw that flashes arm talent.

- (3:51) fits it into a very tight window…maybe too tight. I think that ball gets picked in the NFL.

- (4:46) a couple of really nice play-fakes back-to-back.

Summary: This was my favorite of Cook’s games that I watched this year. What I like is that the positives he has (pocket presence, quick decision-making, field vision) can’t be taught, and the deficiencies (wasted movement, sloppy footwork, ball security) can. I think the end of round 1 is a great landing spot for him—a team like Arizona could afford to give him a year or two behind Carson Palmer for Bruce Arians to coach him up.

Yeah, the Archie Griffin thing was nothing.

ZFG? Zero %$*&s Given.

I could see Roman using Cook like Rothlisberger. I think Roman is excellent at squeezing the most out of mediocre QB's, by emphasizing the ground game, and passing off of that. But I don't think he is the right guy for a "superstar QB". He would waste guys like Rodgers, or Manning. I get the feeling that Roman is more interested in out-foxing the opposition with his plays, than letting the talent do their thing.

Watching Carson Wentz, and Paxton Lynch... those guys are dorks, their bodies all herky-jerky. Cook and Goff have that smoothness that you see from the greats. It's more than "style points", it indicates an underlying confidence, and athleticism.

Considering the relative success of the last two Mich St QBs, Hoyer and Cousins, I think Cook will do just fine.

Considering the relative success of the last two Mich St QBs, Hoyer and Cousins, I think Cook will do just fine.

i think Cook was better than either one in college too. Especially Hoyer :/ Cousins MSU career was pretty unremarkable.

I just don't know if he's a starter or a backup in the NFL. I don't know that yet about the other two either. I think Cook has a starter's mentality (he kind of has that Tom Brady "!@#$ you" attitude.) not sure about talent level. Depends on system, perhaps.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I dread seeing Cook with the Patriots, but he will never last that long. If he goes to the Giants, the Cards, the Saints, the Broncos, maybe the Chiefs, strong organizations that will need a new QB soon, he will be all set.

I just don't see Roman wanting him badly enough to get him selected soon enough. He will be gone by the Bills 2nd pick, so they'd need to use the 1st on him.

I dread seeing Cook with the Patriots, but he will never last that long. If he goes to the Giants, the Cards, the Saints, the Broncos, maybe the Chiefs, strong organizations that will need a new QB soon, he will be all set.

I just don't see Roman wanting him badly enough to get him selected soon enough. He will be gone by the Bills 2nd pick, so they'd need to use the 1st on him.

It would be very interesting if the Bills used their first on him. I agree that he doesn't seem like Roman's type of QB at first glance. He won't want to call those designed QB runs for Cook, obviously.

However, I think Cook is a perfect fit for Roman's passing concepts. He can stretch a defense vertically and read the whole field. He's not wary of taking shots. How many times did we see Tyrod take a deep shot on 3rd and short last year? As frustrating as it can be sometimes, it's by design because that's what Roman wants his QB to do. Cook has no problem with that and can be very successful executing those throws.

I also think Cook's confidence wouldn't be in jeopardy with this team. Rex and Roman let the players be who they are, for better or worse.

If you have the time to watch it, this is a great video analysis on Cook (at least for the relatively uneducated football fan like me). His Oregon game from last year, when that throwing arm was fully healthy. When Cook is on point, he is a lot of fun to watch.

https://youtu.be/DYNh936MI6I

I think giving Cook a year or two on the bench behind Tyrod would produce great results for the Bills. At that point they'd have to make a decision on signing Tyrod long-term, but I see the Bills benefiting from either scenario because I think Cook's floor as an NFL QB is high.

34-5....a Rose Bowl.... a Cotton Bowl... 2 Big 10 Championships...team captain or not, the team responded to him just fine.

He is no Jeff George (who transfered in college, and didn't have much of a college career), or Jay Cutler (11-35)...it's not fair to compare him to those kind of guys.

34-5....a Rose Bowl.... a Cotton Bowl... 2 Big 10 Championships...team captain or not, the team responded to him just fine.

He is no Jeff George (who transfered in college, and didn't have much of a college career), or Jay Cutler (11-35)...it's not fair to compare him to those kind of guys.

I may be slightly off as I haven't looked anything up, but I believe our current QB was 32-7....an Orange Bowl ('08)....a Chick-Fil-A bowl ('09)... 3 ACC Championships ('07, '08, '10)... and a team captian. He was still a 6th round pick.

I may be slightly off as I haven't looked anything up, but I believe our current QB was 32-7....an Orange Bowl ('08)....a Chick-Fil-A bowl ('09)... 3 ACC Championships ('07, '08, '10)... and a team captian. He was still a 6th round pick.

Just goes to show that your NCAA accomplishments might not mean much. Yet, Tyrod still turned into a good QB.

Great, I didn't criticize Tyrod, and no one was claiming he wasn't a good leader, or claiming he was like Cutler or George, when he came out of college. So what are you on about? Some kind of tangent...

Edited by HoF Watkins

Great, I didn't criticize Tyrod, and no one was claiming he wasn't a good leader, or claiming he was like Cutler or George, when he came out of college. So what are you on about? Some kind of tangent...

Pointing out that W/L, Bowls, Conference Championships all mean very little when it comes to individual player assessment. I'm trying to understand why you used them to make your point about him being good and/or threatening on the Pats* roster.

EDIT: As to why I used Tyrod, A) He's a player most on this board recognize, and B) I knew most of his stats without looking them up because I was there and I am lazy.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Pointing out that W/L, Bowls, Conference Championships all mean very little when it comes to individual player assessment. I'm trying to understand why you used them to make your point about him being good and/or threatening on the Pats* roster.

EDIT: As to why I used Tyrod, A) He's a player most on this board recognize, and B) I knew most of his stats without looking them up because I was there and I am lazy.

My comments concerning his achievements related to the worries about his leadership. I KNOW that there are many QB's with similar achievements, but none come to mind that were considered poor leaders. That's why I brought up George, and Cutler. I thought the connection I was making was obvious, but sometimes you have to bang people over the head here.

"34-5....a Rose Bowl.... a Cotton Bowl... 2 Big 10 Championships" and then directly to ...team captain or not, the team responded to him just fine.

See it now? See what I did there? I connected his achievements DIRECTLY to his ability to lead a team successfully, despite not being named a captain.

I know the common criticisms of Cook, but obviously I think he will overcome them. We shall see.

But as far as when he is drafted, we will know soon enough....see you then!

Edited by HoF Watkins

My comments concerning his achievements related to the worries about his leadership. I KNOW that there are many QB's with similar achievements, but none come to mind that were considered poor leaders. That's why I brought up George, and Cutler. I thought the connection I was making was obvious, but sometimes you have to bang people over the head here.

"34-5....a Rose Bowl.... a Cotton Bowl... 2 Big 10 Championships" and then directly to ...team captain or not, the team responded to him just fine.

See it now? See what I did there? I connected his achievements DIRECTLY to his ability to lead a team successfully, despite not being named a captain.

I know the common criticisms of Cook, but obviously I think he will overcome them. We shall see.

But as far as when he is drafted, we will know soon enough....see you then!

So because they won games he was the one leading?