2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

There is at least one team mulling a move up from the second round to the late first round to grab Cook if he is there. Several teams, have him rated the second-best quarterback in the draft on their boards, according to league sources -- and Cook's itinerary has been as full as any of the quarterbacks in this draft. In all likelihood, he is not going to go in the top 10, as Goff and Wentz very well may, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him be the third quarterback selected, and for that pick to come in the first round.

"We like him, we like him a lot, actually," said an executive from a team that has Cook as the second-best quarterback in the draft. "We have him right up there with the other two or three (quarterbacks), actually even higher than a few of them.

We like the kid a lot. We don't think there is a whole lot separating some of these quarterbacks and Cook is the most ready to play. Goff, look at his tape against Utah, it's not pretty. And Wentz, there is a lot to like there, but he needs to go somewhere and sit for a year or two and develop. If Cleveland takes him at two that is going to be a disaster. There aren't any sure things at this position -- really at most of the skill positions in this draft -- and Cook is definitely high up in that quarterback mix for us."

Some have lazily ascribed Cook's low-key run up to the draft to the fact that he wasn't a team captain, but that's not anything that has resonated with the scouts and evaluators I spoke to. Several scouts who have dealt directly with Cook said they have been very impressed with his personality, some coordinators have raved internally about his demeanor following his visits there. He's also a kid who gave his MVP trophy of the Big 10 Championship to his offensive linemen to parade around the team hotel after their defeat of Iowa, and someone who was clearly one of the leaders and premier players on one of the best college football teams in the country.

"The team captain thing is totally overblown, totally overblown," said one scout who has done extensive work in the Big 10 and on Michigan State in particular. "(All-American center) Jack Allen is the alpha male of that program. Period. There was no way he wasn't going to be named the offensive team captain. He is the toughest guy there.

"This is awesome man, this is great stuff, you seed the whole field," Gruden said at one point while reviewing film with Cook, in a way that only Chuckie can. "My pass offense got better by meeting you, Cook."

Gruden clearly has a soft spot for quarterbacks in general, but he raved about Cook's prowess in a way reserved for very few. "You started making plays that really weren't there -- not just making system plays ... making plays that I've never seen before … Your mentality playing the quarterback position is different than any kid I've had in here in three years."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25550469/connor-cook-the-qb-no-one-is-talking-about-wont-last-long-in-nfl-draft

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is at least one team mulling a move up from the second round to the late first round to grab Cook if he is there. Several teams, have him rated the second-best quarterback in the draft on their boards, according to league sources -- and Cook's itinerary has been as full as any of the quarterbacks in this draft. In all likelihood, he is not going to go in the top 10, as Goff and Wentz very well may, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him be the third quarterback selected, and for that pick to come in the first round.

"We like him, we like him a lot, actually," said an executive from a team that has Cook as the second-best quarterback in the draft. "We have him right up there with the other two or three (quarterbacks), actually even higher than a few of them.

We like the kid a lot. We don't think there is a whole lot separating some of these quarterbacks and Cook is the most ready to play. Goff, look at his tape against Utah, it's not pretty. And Wentz, there is a lot to like there, but he needs to go somewhere and sit for a year or two and develop. If Cleveland takes him at two that is going to be a disaster. There aren't any sure things at this position -- really at most of the skill positions in this draft -- and Cook is definitely high up in that quarterback mix for us."

Some have lazily ascribed Cook's low-key run up to the draft to the fact that he wasn't a team captain, but that's not anything that has resonated with the scouts and evaluators I spoke to. Several scouts who have dealt directly with Cook said they have been very impressed with his personality, some coordinators have raved internally about his demeanor following his visits there. He's also a kid who gave his MVP trophy of the Big 10 Championship to his offensive linemen to parade around the team hotel after their defeat of Iowa, and someone who was clearly one of the leaders and premier players on one of the best college football teams in the country.

"The team captain thing is totally overblown, totally overblown," said one scout who has done extensive work in the Big 10 and on Michigan State in particular. "(All-American center) Jack Allen is the alpha male of that program. Period. There was no way he wasn't going to be named the offensive team captain. He is the toughest guy there.

"This is awesome man, this is great stuff, you seed the whole field," Gruden said at one point while reviewing film with Cook, in a way that only Chuckie can. "My pass offense got better by meeting you, Cook."

Gruden clearly has a soft spot for quarterbacks in general, but he raved about Cook's prowess in a way reserved for very few. "You started making plays that really weren't there -- not just making system plays ... making plays that I've never seen before … Your mentality playing the quarterback position is different than any kid I've had in here in three years."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25550469/connor-cook-the-qb-no-one-is-talking-about-wont-last-long-in-nfl-draft

Is he as good as Tebow?

yep. You are getting me pumped up about Cook!

It's not like every draft I put together mocks, or champion a bunch of players. I didn't even investigate Andrew Luck, because I knew the Bills wouldn't be able to get him. Cook just stands out to me, and the Bills might actually have a shot at selecting him.

After all these years of not even having a chance to select a really good prospect (either because there wasn't one available, or not having a high pick), it will really burn me to miss out on someone I think could be "the guy".

Is he as good as Tebow?

No, definitely much worse. :thumbsup:

yep. You are getting me pumped up about Cook!

It's not like every draft I put together mocks, or champion a bunch of players. I didn't even investigate Andrew Luck, because I knew the Bills wouldn't be able to get him. Cook just stands out to me, and the Bills might actually have a shot at selecting him.

After all these years of not even having a chance to select a really good prospect (either because there wasn't one available, or not having a high pick), it will really burn me to miss out on someone I think could be "the guy".

me too.

Just Driving the Connor Cook train :)

I am with you two on Cook. I am a fan almost despite myself. The grade I gave him on the videos I watched was right on the 1st / 2nd borderline. There is some inconsistency from throw to throw that frustrates you and almost scares you but every now and again there is one of those big boy NFL throws.

I like Jared Goff as a Bridgewater esque high floor low ceiling guy but he does not have those same throws on film that Cook has and while Wentz has them they are against poorer standards of oposition.

Connor Cook scares me and excites me at the same time.... but I would be more than happy if the Bills had his name on their card at 19. I know it is a gamble, I know it might be a reach but he might be one of that rare bread worth reaching on. I think he has something that people just can't quite put their finger on.

However, I know that isn't the way the Bills will go. But for once I am in the Badol camp of it either has to be a difference maker at a big $ position (not sure who I see being there that fits that description) or it should be a Quarterback. I would hate it to be Paxton Lynch but I would be excited to pick Connor Cook.

I am with you two on Cook. I am a fan almost despite myself. The grade I gave him on the videos I watched was right on the 1st / 2nd borderline. There is some inconsistency from throw to throw that frustrates you and almost scares you but every now and again there is one of those big boy NFL throws.

I like Jared Goff as a Bridgewater esque high floor low ceiling guy but he does not have those same throws on film that Cook has and while Wentz has them they are against poorer standards of oposition.

Connor Cook scares me and excites me at the same time.... but I would be more than happy if the Bills had his name on their card at 19. I know it is a gamble, I know it might be a reach but he might be one of that rare bread worth reaching on. I think he has something that people just can't quite put their finger on.

However, I know that isn't the way the Bills will go. But for once I am in the Badol camp of it either has to be a difference maker at a big $ position (not sure who I see being there that fits that description) or it should be a Quarterback. I would hate it to be Paxton Lynch but I would be excited to pick Connor Cook.

:thumbsup:

Fair enough. Have you watched the highlights, and even better, the individual game breakdowns?

Since no one has asked, the stats I listed above are Joe Montana's college stats. I looked at a fair amount of HoF QB's, and very good QB's, and a fair number of them improved upon their college %. Also, there were more than a few that were under 60% in college (and what is so magical about "60%"? Does 59.9% = loser?

I think the guys that have great careers are the guys that are "good at getting better". And I think Cook is gonna get better, and is already pretty slick.

Of course, I doubt the Bills will draft him, but I expect it to be one of those regrets that have plagued Bills fans.

Yes-I watched every throw of every game his last two seasons when I graded him.

I do think there's a chance for him, but the number of erratic short throws and bad decision making gives me too great a pause to take him day 1

Yes-I watched every throw of every game his last two seasons when I graded him.

I do think there's a chance for him, but the number of erratic short throws and bad decision making gives me too great a pause to take him day 1

And some of those throws are butt clenchingly frightening. But then the next play or two play later he will put one right on the money in a tight window and you think "wow".

There is just something about him that makes me want to trust my gut and take the chance.

I've watched some more of Cook's play and I can see some of what people are talking about. He is a smooth thrower and can seemingly get the ball out quickly when needed. But then there are those throws that make you say ugh!

For sure, I would take him earlier than I would consider drafting Cardale Jones.

He has some talent, but is he worth a mid 1st round pick? He looks to be a possible good starting QB, but by no means is he a sure thing. He could get in the league and eventually ascend to a starter or he could end up as a wash out who doesn't have the accuracy to make it in the league.

Something that I did notice is that he doesn't seem afraid to throw into tight places. Not everyone is willing to take those chances.

Something that I did notice is that he doesn't seem afraid to throw into tight places. Not everyone is willing to take those chances.

His best quality in my opinion - and he is pretty good at it. I like his decision making on those tight window throws. He was picked on less than 2% of his attempts in college, and some of those picks are on those erratic "easier" throws.

Supposedly he has visited Denver this week. I can see Elway falling in love with him.

His best quality in my opinion - and he is pretty good at it. I like his decision making on those tight window throws. He was picked on less than 2% of his attempts in college, and some of those picks are on those erratic "easier" throws.

Supposedly he has visited Denver this week. I can see Elway falling in love with him.

He has a good instincts, and is willing to follow them. It bites him occasionally, and probably led to a lower %, but I think he can win anyway (and he has). He pressures the defenders with his aggressiveness, and I love that.

Edited by HoF Watkins

you lost me.

? I mean, I would hate to pass on a great QB prospect, just to get Wrex a replacement for the D-line (which doesn't seem to be the featured position in his defense).

Denver won't pass on him at 31, if he is there.

? I mean, I would hate to pass on a great QB prospect, just to get Wrex a replacement for the D-line (which doesn't seem to be the featured position in his defense).

Denver won't pass on him at 31, if he is there.

I don't see Whaley selecting a qb in the first round. He has said it a number of times that it is a priority for him to end the playoff drought. Odds are that he is going to use his first two picks to bolster the defense that Rex mismanaged last year.

Cook certainly would be a good selection for Denver, and if he is still available a good selection for Dallas in the second round. What also needs to be noted regarding Cook is that his receiving corps was not very good. His receivers were not adept at getting open.

I don't see Whaley selecting a qb in the first round. He has said it a number of times that it is a priority for him to end the playoff drought. Odds are that he is going to use his first two picks to bolster the defense that Rex mismanaged last year.

Cook certainly would be a good selection for Denver, and if he is still available a good selection for Dallas in the second round. What also needs to be noted regarding Cook is that his receiving corps was not very good. His receivers were not adept at getting open.

I agree, and that's what bothers me. I think we (Whaley, and the fans) will regret passing on him. It could be the first good opportunity to get a great prospect, in a long while.

If he gets out of the 1st round (which I doubt), he will be snatched up in the first 6 picks of the 2nd, maybe even someone trading up to get him.

The idea that this team needs to use its first two picks on defense--just to fix what Rex broke--is a travesty, and the possibility that this would cause us to pass on a potential franchise QB, makes it totally unacceptable. The only thing that could be worse, would be using those picks on DT and/or ILB. Edited by mannc