2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand and accept that this is a mitigating argument for Jones, but all that it says is the deck was stacked against him. It does not explain why he struggled in his starts this year. He had starts against some good opponents, but also against Northern Illinois, Hawaii, Western Michigan, Indiana, 3-9 Maryland and a struggling Penn State program.

In his great run in 2014, he had Ezekial Elliot, Devin Smith (WR) and Michael Thomas (WR) in his arsenal. In 2015, he had Elliot, Michael Thomas and Braxton Miller - all of whom will likely be top 3 round picks in this year's draft.

I am not saying that Cardale Jones can't possibly make it as a NFL QB, but I am saying that the body of evidence suggests that he is a long-shot, regardless of his physical tools.

his struggles didn't have anything to do with the strength of the opponent. It didn't matter who he was playing. He was not in an offense suited to him. He was being asked to run the option. It was a different OC and offense than what he ran in 2014. It's meyer's system still - but he does not call the plays or coach the QBs. Devin Smith was actually a big loss because they tried to replace him all season and never could, and Cardale's biggest strength is the deep ball. They had no deep threat (why they had no deep threat is a straight up sin with all the 4 and 5 star freshmen lining the bench but that's another story) so they hardly ever threw deep because Urban didn't have anyone he trusted enough to put back there. You can read a lot about what happened with the QB competition, change in OC, etc. if you want but bottom line is he's an inexperienced QB with a great skill set who is a project. Anyone like that is a long shot, I agree.

This is a very good analysis if you (or anyone) is interested in what happened with the offense, Cardale and the vertical passing game in 2015

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2016/04/69437/film-study-what-happend-to-the-buckeyes-vertical-play-action-game

Edited by YoloinOhio

nice find. Ill be ok with any QB the Bills draft as long as it isnt Paxton Lynch in the 1st round. lll be pissed, dude is way over hyped and got smoked against good teams, theres better players available at #19. Take defense in the 1st whether its a ILB OLB DT/NT or 3-4 ER. just not a QB, it would be a waste of a pick unless Wentz or Goff is there, which they wont be.

Edited by Marty McFly

Lynch has 71 throws scripted for pro day

Paxton Lynch wants to prove at his Wednesday pro day that he belongs in the same conversation as top QB prospects Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. Find out what he has planned for the event.

@JoeBuscaglia

Report: The #Bills visited with projected first round QB prospect Paxton Lynch of Memphis: https://t.co/p6DRpX2Unw

@TyDunne

Memphis QB Paxton Lynch dined with the #Bills last night, as ESPN first reported. Team needs D but has made it clear it's thinking QB, too.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If the Bills draft that overgrown Pirates of the Caribbean reject, I might need to find a team that treats me better.

i think they are evaluating him but won't take him there. More likely they want a team to trade up to get him - potentially a team like the Browns if they take someone else at 2 and still want a QB.

i think they are evaluating him but won't take him there. More likely they want a team to trade up to get him - potentially a team like the Browns if they take someone else at 2 and still want a QB.

The repeated mantra in my head is 'They did this with Bryce Petty'.

Is it clear that I don't trust this team? :D

The repeated mantra in my head is 'They did this with Bryce Petty'.

Is it clear that I don't trust this team? :D

it reminds me of the Bryce Petty dance a lot. I think they will take a QB but it appears to me they want it to be in the 3rd or later based on who they've shown most interest in - Prescott, Cardale, Hogan. They want it out there that they are dining with lynch just like they wanted it out there they flew out to have dinner with Petty the week before the draft.

If the Bills draft that overgrown Pirates of the Caribbean reject, I might need to find a team that treats me better.

Man, I watched Lynch against a good Mississippi defense and I didn't see much that would make me think he is a future NFL starting QB.

Man, I watched Lynch against a good Mississippi defense and I didn't see much that would make me think he is a future NFL starting QB.

The Temple game was the one for me. Averaged about 4.6 yards per attempt. So many bubble screens.

His FB/TE Alan Cross might be a decent UDFA pickup though. Could knock O'Leary off the roster.