Which NCAA HC could succeed as an NFL HC?

With the news of Chip Kelly being fired, I started to think about which current college HC could have long term success in the NFL.

Jim Harbaugh is an obvious choice, should he ever choose to return to the NFL/have the opportunity to do so.

That said, Dabo Swinney would be my choice. I have wanted Buffalo to make a run at him each of the last two coaching searches, but it has not happened. Perhaps if he gets a national title this year he'll be ready to listen to NFL offers, should there be any.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im with you on Harbaugh and I guess the only other would be Brian Kelly... But he seems like a Marrone type, not sure players would -ahem- take to his personality.

Brian Kelly is better suited for college. I think he falls flat if tries the NFL.

Mark Dantonio, prostyle offense and defense, and knows how to make changes when needed, and how to lead men.

"Their approach could be two tight (ends) and smash it, or five-wide empty and throw it.

"It's a huge challenge from a schematic standpoint."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/09/michigan_states_chameleon-like.html

"That (press quarters) is still going to be used 75 percent of the time because that's our bread and butter,'' Bullough said. "Coach (Mark) Snyder is going to help us change things up a bit, and I think it was Coach D's idea to get all these new defenses in, and it's going to help us.''

Michigan State's in-your-face aggressive base scheme consisted of walking the safeties up closer to the line to take away the run game first, and tasking cornerbacks to play tight coverage long enough for the pass rush to get to the quarterback, often without giving the corners any help from the safety position.

"Last year, we got exposed on a few things, some play-action passes, some bubbles (short passes into the flats), things like that, and we're really working on not just playing Cover 4 every play, we're expanding our coverages,'' Bullough said. "So the offense doesn't know where we're going to go once the play starts.''

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/04/mark_dantonio_expanding_michig.html

"That culture started with Coach Dantonio, it wasn’t long before it permeated through the entire program. Trust me on this one: When the head coach acts like that … you notice. Everyone notices. The coordinators pick up on it. The position coaches pick up on it. The strength coaches, the team leaders, the other players — they all pick up on it. And then pretty soon, you have an entire culture where everyone has bought into this one, big idea.

Coach convinced us that being better people would, literally, make us better football players."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/12/29/michigan-state-kirk-cousins/78013162/

I'll go with none. Here's a few reasons why.

1. College coaches get to hand pick every single player on their roster to fit their scheme. They have what is it, 80, scholarships to dole out to players they want. The find the right players for their system and team culture. The so-called college genius are, shockingly, all at major schools whose historic past and reputation help in recruiting. Saban bombed in the NFL, but he's a great college coach right? Kelly was great in college but sucked in the NFL, I'd argue he made his team worse over this three seasons. In the NFL, you get a roster handed to you and you don't get to go out and use the Alabama name, great facilities, and scholarships to recruit the best free agents. You get a small amount of free agent money to go plug a few holes.

2. As Kelly has proven and others like Marrone did too, you can't treat pros like college kids. A millionaire is a professional, and treating them as a true underling doesn't work. Many of these coaches just don't know how to treat a man like a man when they can't control them like a 19 year old sophomore on scholarship.

3. NFL coaching experience matters. I'd never ever hire a college coach. Give me a coordinator or former coach who has been around NFL players, locker room, front offices, and the entire culture.

4. Scheme, mainly offensive. These college coaches with great teams have great athletic talent all the skill positions. They simply out play the defensive talent with speed. But many of these outstanding college skill players suck in the NFL, because of my main point about a lot of NFL players... they're not intelligent enough, they've gotten by their whole lives on pure skill. That works in college where things are simpler and talent matchups can be lopsided. In the NFL, not so much because the NFL is a filter... the talent and brains are at every position. When you used to be a WR who just ran by everyone, now you need to be a WR who runs precise routes and you simply can't learn it because you're too dumb or don't have the work ethic.

Where's all the Kevin Sumlin talk this year. He was supposed to be great NFL candidate and now he's rumored to be on thin ice. Would he have lasted had he been hired after Manziel's last season? Nope, just another college coach who should stay there,

With the news of Chip Kelly being fired, I started to think about which current college HC could have long term success in the NFL.

Jim Harbaugh is an obvious choice, should he ever choose to return to the NFL/have the opportunity to do so.

That said, Dabo Swinney would be my choice. I have wanted Buffalo to make a run at him each of the last two coaching searches, but it has not happened. Perhaps if he gets a national title this year he'll be ready to listen to NFL offers, should there be any.

David Shaw is an obvious choice. He's not leaving Stanford, but if he did, I think he would have any number of NFL jobs to pick from.

And by the way, I don't think it's fair to say that Chip Kelly failed as a coach--it was his GM performance that got him fired. There is still a good chance he will be coaching in the NFL next year.

And by the way, I don't think it's fair to say that Chip Kelly failed as a coach--it was his GM performance that got him fired. There is still a good chance he will be coaching in the NFL next year.

I hope your second sentence is correct, because I am sure your first sentence is wrong and I hope Tennessee or some other team is silly enough to give him the opportunity to prove it.

I'll go with none. Here's a few reasons why.

1. College coaches get to hand pick every single player on their roster to fit their scheme. They have what is it, 80, scholarships to dole out to players they want. The find the right players for their system and team culture. The so-called college genius are, shockingly, all at major schools whose historic past and reputation help in recruiting. Saban bombed in the NFL, but he's a great college coach right? Kelly was great in college but sucked in the NFL, I'd argue he made his team worse over this three seasons. In the NFL, you get a roster handed to you and you don't get to go out and use the Alabama name, great facilities, and scholarships to recruit the best free agents. You get a small amount of free agent money to go plug a few holes.

2. As Kelly has proven and others like Marrone did too, you can't treat pros like college kids. A millionaire is a professional, and treating them as a true underling doesn't work. Many of these coaches just don't know how to treat a man like a man when they can't control them like a 19 year old sophomore on scholarship.

3. NFL coaching experience matters. I'd never ever hire a college coach. Give me a coordinator or former coach who has been around NFL players, locker room, front offices, and the entire culture.

4. Scheme, mainly offensive. These college coaches with great teams have great athletic talent all the skill positions. They simply out play the defensive talent with speed. But many of these outstanding college skill players suck in the NFL, because of my main point about a lot of NFL players... they're not intelligent enough, they've gotten by their whole lives on pure skill. That works in college where things are simpler and talent matchups can be lopsided. In the NFL, not so much because the NFL is a filter... the talent and brains are at every position. When you used to be a WR who just ran by everyone, now you need to be a WR who runs precise routes and you simply can't learn it because you're too dumb or don't have the work ethic.

Where's all the Kevin Sumlin talk this year. He was supposed to be great NFL candidate and now he's rumored to be on thin ice. Would he have lasted had he been hired after Manziel's last season? Nope, just another college coach who should stay there,

Zonabb - I am just reading this thread, and had the same reaction. There are too many differences between College and the NFL. Unless it was a coach who left the NFL to go to college and is coming back, I wouldn't even consider him. For every Pete Carroll, you have so many more Chip Kelly's. As an aside, Kelly's mistake was his power grab for mgmt, vs. remaining as coach and having a GM be his boss and work together. A strong and successful GM would never let Kelly make the personnel moves he's made in the last couple of years. Kelly did win 20 games in his first two years. It was the result of his personnel moves that deteriorated the quality of execution of this team.

Lurie was right to let him go.

Mark Dantonio, prostyle offense and defense, and knows how to make changes when needed, and how to lead men.

"Their approach could be two tight (ends) and smash it, or five-wide empty and throw it.

"It's a huge challenge from a schematic standpoint."

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/09/michigan_states_chameleon-like.html

"That (press quarters) is still going to be used 75 percent of the time because that's our bread and butter,'' Bullough said. "Coach (Mark) Snyder is going to help us change things up a bit, and I think it was Coach D's idea to get all these new defenses in, and it's going to help us.''

Michigan State's in-your-face aggressive base scheme consisted of walking the safeties up closer to the line to take away the run game first, and tasking cornerbacks to play tight coverage long enough for the pass rush to get to the quarterback, often without giving the corners any help from the safety position.

"Last year, we got exposed on a few things, some play-action passes, some bubbles (short passes into the flats), things like that, and we're really working on not just playing Cover 4 every play, we're expanding our coverages,'' Bullough said. "So the offense doesn't know where we're going to go once the play starts.''

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/04/mark_dantonio_expanding_michig.html

"That culture started with Coach Dantonio, it wasnt long before it permeated through the entire program. Trust me on this one: When the head coach acts like that you notice. Everyone notices. The coordinators pick up on it. The position coaches pick up on it. The strength coaches, the team leaders, the other players they all pick up on it. And then pretty soon, you have an entire culture where everyone has bought into this one, big idea.

Coach convinced us that being better people would, literally, make us better football players."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/12/29/michigan-state-kirk-cousins/78013162/

^^^ This is the answer.

I think Harbaugh is a great coach. He's just crazy. But look at how the 49ers fell apart after he left.

He is too intense. I know I have mentioned it before but that pre-Superbowl press conference when he sat there every muscle in his body tensed his face so tense he could hardly move his lips to speak, the icy stare that never changed. In contrast John was slouched back in his chair, relaxed and joking. I knew then that the Ravens were going to win the Superbowl. I can absolutely understand how that intensity grates on people. To be that intense the whole time is tiring to be around. He is one hell of a football coach and maybe actually going back to college will chill him out - it certainly did for Pete Carroll.

Edited by GunnerBill

I think Harbaugh is the only one that could go back and forth, and I believe that is because of how much time he spent in the NFL himself. Not a lot of the other college coaches have any experience around NFL clubs, let alone 14 years. Harbaugh has a better understanding of how NFL teams and players work.

Outside of Harbaugh, I dont see anyone who could obviously make the transition. I disagree with Dabo. He is a kids coach. The grown men of the NFL would dismiss him immediately. Sumlin and Dantonio might be able to pull it off, depending on how much they are willing to adapt.

The problem to me is that jumping to the NFL should be a whole new promotion chain. In other words, the next step for a college head coach should not be NFL head coach. If a college HC wants to make a run at the NFL, it should be as a coordinator first, then a head coach if they do well enough.

Of course it won't happen because of the money. The best college head coaches (those that are most likely to get a look in the NFL) are making crazy money, and just wouldn't settle for less.

That said, there isn't a single college head coach that I would hire as an NFL head coach.

Edited by Acantha