Which NCAA HC could succeed as an NFL HC?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip did have a winning record after 3 NFL seasons. That's not too bad.

In fact, he was probably the most successful "college coach" to jump to the NFL in recent years.

His biggest problem is his massive ego and apparently his need to control EVERYTHING. I think he's a good coach but needs a GM that he can work with to protect him from stupid personnel moves.

I agree with this. Kelly's method and his system are very different from anything else in the NFL. Because of this, I always thought it was important for Kelly to succeed right away in the NFL in order to get the players to buy in. Kelly did have great success his first year (and to some extent last year, too) but things when off the rails with some of his personnel moves, especially getting rid of Mathis, Jackson, and McCoy, and his failure to get the right QB. Although I think the issue was somewhat overblown, I'm sure the race stuff with McCoy and Riley Cooper didn't help in the locker room, either. Once things started to go south, everything snowballed; when a coach loses the locker room, there is no way to keep him around. That seems to be what happened in Philly, and it could also de-rail Rex. I think Kelly will get another chance in the NFL (if he wants it) and I think Chip is smart enough to learn from his past mistakes. But teams will be cautious.

the new and improved version B-)

I am 100% with you on Dantonio. His teams play a physical style that wins in the NFL. In addition, they are extremely prepared and as you said, "he is a leader of men." There is no doubt in my mind that he would be an EXTREMELY successful NFL HC. In fact, he makes a TON of sense for the Lions. The only downside of Dantonio IMO is that he will be 60 before next season. He isn't exactly a young up-and-comer. The flip side of that though is that he has coached with some great coaches.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am 100% with you on Dantonio. His teams play a physical style that wins in the NFL. In addition, they are extremely prepared and as you said, "he is a leader of men." There is no doubt in my mind that he would be an EXTREMELY successful NFL HC. In fact, he makes a TON of sense for the Lions. The only downside of Dantonio IMO is that he will be 60 before next season. He isn't exactly a young up-and-comer. The flip side of that though is that he has coached with some great coaches.

Im not as sure about Dantonio as you are, but for what it's worth, Pete Carrol was 60 when he took the Seahawks job.

Marv was old, I'd take my chances over super mouth Rex

Nick Saban

Saban had his shot... a winning season followed by a bad losing season followed by a sulk and a run off back to college. I don't understand why he gets the benefit of the doubt from so many. The NFL is a prove it league - Saban proved he couldn't hack it and ran away.

Redirecting the original question: Why would any college coach want to go into the NFL?

From all appearances, college coaching looks more rewarding and enjoyable.

I'd rather coach kids struggling to make something of themselves than a "professional athlete" with a signing bonus that exceeds my life income.

If you're a college coach with better than a .500 record, you're King of the Campus.

Saban had his shot... a winning season followed by a bad losing season followed by a sulk and a run off back to college. I don't understand why he gets the benefit of the doubt from so many. The NFL is a prove it league - Saban proved he couldn't hack it and ran away.

Yea that Pete Carroll is a horrible coach. He had his shot with the Jets and ran back off to college with his tail between his legs. It's a shame he could never hack it in the NFL.

LOL. Get a clue

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

Hmm, you and I usually agree on most things, but definitely not here. I dont think Saban proved that he couldnt hack it, as much as he didnt want to deal with the BS of NFL players and politics. He gets the benefit of the doubt because he's proved to be one of the best coaches in football. Plus, the Head Coach position at Alabama is probably the highest ranking coaching job in all of football across every level.

Yea that Pete Carroll is a horrible coach. He had his shot with the Jets and the Pats**, and ran back off to college with his tail between his legs. It's a shame he could never hack it in the NFL.

LOL. Get a clue

FIFY

Marv was old, I'd take my chances over super mouth Rex

Oh me too

Dantonio reminds me of Mike Zimmer a little bit but with better people skills. He is a little unassuming and his style has won at a top level (consistently) without top level talent. He is starting to acquire that top level talent which is why his team is now in the playoff. He is a fantastic football coach.

Hmm, you and I usually agree on most things, but definitely not here. I dont think Saban proved that he couldnt hack it, as much as he didnt want to deal with the BS of NFL players and politics. He gets the benefit of the doubt because he's proved to be one of the best coaches in football. Plus, the Head Coach position at Alabama is probably the highest ranking coaching job in all of football across every level.

This.

There have been many interviews where he has alluded or implied that very thing.

The biggest example was Drew Brees. Saban wanted Brees for the QB position while at Miami.

He was denied by the Dolphins medical staff. (think about that for minute. Brady and Brees in the AFC East for the past 10 years :wacko:)

Yea that Pete Carroll is a horrible coach. He had his shot with the Jets and ran back off to college with his tail between his legs. It's a shame he could never hack it in the NFL.

LOL. Get a clue

There is a significant difference.... Carroll was fired. He had to go back to college and rebuild himself. Saban wasn't. He threw the towel in and ran off back to the college ranks himself. That isn't the mark of someone who is going to make it as an NFL Head Coach. You can phrase it as he didn't want to deal with the politics if you like... but it equates to same thing in my book. Couldn't hack it and jacked it in.

It is irrelevant... Saban isn't coming back and it is because deep down he knows he is one of the greatest college Head Coaches of all time and in the NFL he is just a guy.

Edited by GunnerBill

I'm really glad he left. I did NOT want him coaching Miami for any length of time.