Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

But Rex called him tough in a presser yesterday. Maybe we're all missing something. Rex also said the D line played well last year and we all missed that.

Rex will ALWAYS stick up for his players. might as well accept it.

Not really a bad thing if you thing about it.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex will ALWAYS stick up for his players. might as well accept it.

Not really a bad thing if you thing about it.

What people take for granted is that we would have never landed a player like Harvin in the first place had it not been for Rex. He's the best recruiter we've ever had.

What people take for granted is that we would have never landed a player like Harvin in the first place had it not been for Rex. He's the best recruiter we've ever had.

I just watched the breakfast presser.

Watching him is much different that reading one liners extracted. For me at least.

be interesting to see Preston Browns comments on Rob Ryan a couple games in.

I bet the players start to dig Ed Reed too.

There is a reason Ryan's players learned to love/become loyal to Ryan.

Basically no.........vet minimum, well, maybe if money is available for that.....with some incentives to make it worth while. His degree of brittleness is the problem....he never plays a full season....and, he will take up a roster spot. He gets hurt, he gets his money again for doing nothing...last year, collected 6 mil for what, 5 games. In addition, I thought his presense on the field took away from Sammy being #1......Ryan feels the need to justify bringing in

one of his strays. (yes, Ryan collects stray dogs, particularily ex Jets)And, that doesn't make him a recruiter. I think we should pass on Harvin and go elsewhere. And, because of the brittleness issue, I think our former third round draft choice, Goodwin, also has to go.Goodwin is hard not to like, but his production is zilch in three years. Neither has skills or a body type to be a blocker on the outside like Hogan was. (yes, that is a requirement in our run first O)

Edited by bigK14094

Yep. Fair point.... though I think it was the chance to start more than anything else.

Ryan was always a strong advocate of bringing TT in because of his ties to the Ravens (even though he predated TT's time there). So I'm willing to give him credit for TT being on the Bills.

I think I'm the only one who hopes he is back. Even if it's not a full time role. They can't pay him a lot so it certainly be on the cheap. Still draft one obviously but he's a good talent to have in the arsenal.

He's fast, versatile, experienced and had chemistry with Taylor right off the bat. Clearly injury prone which is why, if he is back, it would be cheap/incentive laden.

He is not only injury prone, he is moody and sat out AWOL and did tell front office his plans.

I think he should only be signed post week 1 so Bills can cut him if he does not want to play.

I mentioned it before probably in this thread but Miami signed Jordan Cameron to a deal last year where he only got paid per games played. That could be an option, but what I believe is that another team would be ok with giving him more of a gtd contract.

Once a player has qualified (4 years effectively) he is paid for entire season, active or not, once he is on Week 1 roster.

Ryan was always a strong advocate of bringing TT in because of his ties to the Ravens (even though he predated TT's time there). So I'm willing to give him credit for TT being on the Bills.

it mightve made us more likely to pursue, but that he had a solid path to the starting job is almost undoubtedly the reason he picked us.

it mightve made us more likely to pursue, but that he had a solid path to the starting job is almost undoubtedly the reason he picked us.

For sure. But I think Rex without Rex strongly advocating for him, he probably wouldn't have even been on the Bills' radar.

To buttress your point TT selected Buffalo because it gave him the best pathway toward playing. Was Rex a factor? Maybe so. But it wasn't the most decisive reason for him coming to Buffalo. As the below link indicates he had a better money deal from the Broncos and he also had an association with Kubiak, their HC.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/3/14/8216575/nfl-free-agency-quarterback-tyrod-taylor-turns-a-down-deal-from

For sure. But I think Rex without Rex strongly advocating for him, he probably wouldn't have even been on the Bills' radar.

Of couse TT was on the Bills' radar as he was for all teams that needed a qb added to their roster. It's not like he was a secret talent hidden away. All teams know about all the players on other teams' rosters and they know which ones are available from our team. We are as familiar with backup players on other teams who might be available as other teams are aware of Buffalo backups who might be available. Knowing the market is part of the job for all organizations.

You believe landing a player "like Harvin" is a positive in the ledger?

Especially when a Brandon Marshall was availablr and the better fit.

Football doesn't lend itself to "moneyball" logic nearly as well as baseball. But at some point when their is a huge disconnect between actual production and how much salary cap is used up, the results show on the field. The Bills have $16 million in cap money for 2016 tied up in McCoy/Clay/Harvin (Harvin is $2mm of dead money). In 2015 that trio returned a little over 800 yards rushing and 1100 yards receiving and 9 touchdowns. That is a lot less production than the salary cap hit is worth.

Fans can complain about injuries and luck plays a big part in that. But durability and age are factors teams account for when signing/drafting player.

The Bills have $16 million in cap money for 2016 tied up in McCoy/Clay/Harvin (Harvin is $2mm of dead money). In 2015 that trio returned a little over 800 yards rushing and 1100 yards receiving and 9 touchdowns. That is a lot less production than the salary cap hit is worth.

Yup! Add to that the production we got from our highest paid players on defense (Mario and Dareus) and we paid a crap load of money to the top guys with very little return on investment Edited by kdiggz