Mario Williams: "Bills' personnel doesn't fit Scheme"

Protocal69

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im jumping into this convo late.....so if I am missing the point I apologize......but that is exactly what we did in Buffalo as well...through all of our financial resources draft picks etc into our defense

That is probably why the Pegulas thought Rex was a good fit......because we biult this team (not scheme wise) much the same way Rex has had teams in the past.

The one thing Rex did right.....he brought in Greg Roman and let him do his thing which resulted in improvement in the offense.

roman was given a lot of nice toys to work with by Whaley:

TT, clay, shady, and harvin.

I'm saying it's not as sustainable as Rex's system based on historical fact that Schwartz's teams weren't able to sustain their success year after year. You may argue that it would have been different in Buffalo in 2016 and 2017, but Schwartz's resume says otherwise.

I was one of a small number of skeptics when Schwartz was hired - the personnel for his scheme perfect but with both dareus and Hughes needing extensions, I was concerned long term. M if you know going into it those two were getting deals you get the year under marrone, this year and next with the group and a chance to see if you can draft a guy. 3 elite years with a coordinator is more than you could really ask for. From there you look at the next option. If Schwartz is head coach, that changes the equation but if kept with someone on offense hired - I'd buy that scenario over switching scheme and needing to rework personnel immediately.

What i find surprising is that (as far as im aware) this has never happened to a Rex coached team. Hes had great defenses and average defenses. No one has ever complained about his schemes before - at least openly.

All this complaining tells me that players arent holding themselves accountable for their production. When this happens we have serious problems.

Rex didnt come to a perennial power house defense. We had one really good defensive season last year where pretty much everyone on the Dline was healthy all year.

So for some players to constantly complain as if this defense was the steel curtain is disappointing.

Mario is done. Kyle is either hurt or done. Hughes still hasn't mastered staying on side. That leaves Dareus as the only good piece going forward.

The O-Line is as bad as any in the NFL. The linebackers are below average.

The Bills have a lot of skill players, but the trenches are bare. Until both lines are fixed, the hamster wheel will continue to spin.

Mario is done. Kyle is either hurt or done. Hughes still hasn't mastered staying on side. That leaves Dareus as the only good piece going forward.

The Bills have a lot of skill players, but the trenches are bare. Until both lines are fixed, the hamster wheel will continue to spin.

i don't see it that way at all. Kyle can absolutely recover from his injury and good pass rushers, which Hughes is, tend to jump offsides sometimes. That doesn't mean he isn't a really good player - he is. The only guy who is good as gone is Mario. Age, cap hit, low production.

The OL isn't even close to being among the worst in the NFL. The team leads to NFL in rushing and has a 7th ranked offense in DVOA. Two pro bowl alternates and a very good LT. There are many trash OLs in the NFL. Ever watch the Chargers, Colts, Dolphins, Jags, Falcons, Bucs... The Bills aren't one of the worst. I don't think they are among the best, but I'd rate them as about average. They can continue to improve on the right side and ensure they lock in the left side.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't see it that way at all. Kyle can absolutely recover from his injury and good pass rushers, which Hughes is, tend to jump offsides sometimes. That doesn't mean he isn't a really good player - he is. The only guy who is good as gone is Mario. Age, cap hit, low production.

The OL isn't even close to being among the worst in the NFL. The team leads to NFL in rushing and has a 7th ranked offense in DVOA. Two pro bowl alternates and a very good LT. There are many trash OLs in the NFL. Ever watch the Chargers, Colts, Dolphins, Jags, Falcons, Bucs... The Bills aren't one of the worst. I don't think they are among the best, but I'd rate them as about average. They can continue to improve on the right side and ensure they lock in the left side.

Good post,

Kyle is old and unlikely to survive an entire season ever again. Hughes is insanely undisciplined.

On almost every passing play, the pocket breaks down and Taylor is scrambling. New England takes guys off the practice squad that do a better job. They can run block okay, but forget about maintaining a solid pocket.

Kyle is old and unlikely to survive an entire season ever again. Hughes is insanely undisciplined.

On almost every passing play, the pocket breaks down and Taylor is scrambling. New England takes guys off the practice squad that do a better job. They can run block okay, but forget about maintaining a solid pocket.

again, I see it differently. Kyle isn't injury prone as he didn't get hurt the last two seasons. One injury doesn't preclude him from still playing at the level where he left off - which was very good. I didn't realize DTs were retiring now at 32. I agree Hughes is undisciplined but he's seemed to reign in the PFs which are what really bothered me. I can live with a few penalties for offsides because he is very talented and plays with heart. If you watch the best pass rushers, they jump offsides sometimes. Von Miller comes to mind.

I just see the OL differently. The actually seem to give TT plenty of time - he just takes forever to throw. Of course NE can put anyone out there, Brady throws the ball in 2 seconds. It's also why our OL get called for holding penalties -They have to block longer than any other line in the league. I'm a TT fan, but I don't put all of that on them. He needs to improve on getting the ball out faster, maybe he will. They are an average OL, but nowhere near among the worst.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's funny to think about because how much they are loved by fans for keeping the teams they own in Buffalo but their track record as owners with both franchises so far has been horrendous.

This is a funny opinion considering the Sabres have taken the path everyone wants to Bills to take: tank for a franchise player. It's like some people wake up in the morning, look at the standings and form an opinion.

This is a funny opinion considering the Sabres have taken the path everyone wants to Bills to take: tank for a franchise player. It's like some people wake up in the morning, look at the standings and form an opinion.

Wrong. Unlike you I am looking at his entire body of work as an owner from 2011-2015. It's like some people wake up in the morning and think Terry Pegula purchased the Sabres in 2014 and decided the best philosophy for the future of the franchise was to bottom out. It was only after years of poor decision making as owners forced them to do that.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Mario is done in Buffalo....he will be a beast again in the right scheme.

Kyle is not done, he is our best defensive player.

Hughes is a talented, high motor idiot.

Dareus is all all -pro "attacking" DT, he is an average Nose Tackle.

The O-line statistically was one of the best with Glenn & Incognito playing at a very high level. still a huge hole at RG , Miller sucks and RT is weak.

The D-line in 2014 had 3 all-pro's and was possibly the best in the league. COACHING changed that.

Our LB's are the absolute WORST in the league. we got nothing out of them.

the #1need has been and still is a "Franchise" QB........Tyrod is a nice bridge for 2016.

I have been a fan of Marcel Dareus since the first time I saw him play at Alabama. That said, I advise you to be cautious in terms of your optimism.

First of all, I question his motivation after his 100 million + dollar contract.

Next, do you remember Big Sam Adams? Sam LOOKED like a nose tackle but was anything but. Same with Marcel. He is a penetrating lineman. Marcel will never play to his full potential tying up blockers. He is strong enough to push and get through. This is how he got double digit sacks last season and why he got the big bucks.

The Mario situation is simply depressing.

Sadly, I agree with you wrt Kyle. I deeply appreciate his effort and what he has done for this team, but it is not realistic (imo) to expect him to have a healthy season. And his salary while not bank breaking, is substantial.

As for Hughes, the penalties do suck, but he got his money and it's clear that he still cares. He is really the only pass rusher we have under this loser defensive system. As I said in another post, my name for this defense is the "Jauronettes."

Mario just got slammed by Chris Brown. Anyone catch this in his Fan Friday blog post, quoting Bill Parcells? -

As Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells once said:

Blame nobody expect nothing do something. Losers sit around in small groups, b**ching about the coach, the system and other players. Winners come together as a team.

Mario just got slammed by Chris Brown. Anyone catch this in his Fan Friday blog post, quoting Bill Parcells? -

Blame nobody expect nothing do something. Losers sit around in small groups, b**ching about the coach, the system and other players. Winners come together as a team.

the three guys who work for the Bills- Brown, Capaccio, and Murphy, have all had this same narrative about Mario for the last few weeks. Anyone holding out hope with the Return of Schwartz scenarios where Mario is retained and they instead change the scheme are wasting their time. IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

I know you are a big MW fan as a person and a player. I too have appreciated his game in 2013 and 2014. What worries me is that Mario suddenly gets spun as the bad guy and RR gets a pass. The issue is way more than Mario's comments and on field performance. Take away Mario this season as we would still have sucked on D. Let Mario not become an example scapegoat for the players being the main reason for the underperforming D.

Maybe the OBD spin machine is getting warmed up

What i find surprising is that (as far as im aware) this has never happened to a Rex coached team. Hes had great defenses and average defenses. No one has ever complained about his schemes before - at least openly.

All this complaining tells me that players arent holding themselves accountable for their production. When this happens we have serious problems.

Rex didnt come to a perennial power house defense. We had one really good defensive season last year where pretty much everyone on the Dline was healthy all year.

So for some players to constantly complain as if this defense was the steel curtain is disappointing.

Great post.

FWIW, the title of this thread could also be interpreted as: Mario Williams: "Bills are overpaid, one-trick ponies."

We've drafted offensive players with our last 3 first round picks, so not really.

Also, the Pegulas thinking "we have a good defense with talent so Rex is a good fit" is exactly why their decision was stupid.

did you just call the Pegulas stupid?

so there is room for improvement ?

I have been a fan of Marcel Dareus since the first time I saw him play at Alabama. That said, I advise you to be cautious in terms of your optimism.

First of all, I question his motivation after his 100 million + dollar contract.

Next, do you remember Big Sam Adams? Sam LOOKED like a nose tackle but was anything but. Same with Marcel. He is a penetrating lineman. Marcel will never play to his full potential tying up blockers. He is strong enough to push and get through. This is how he got double digit sacks last season and why he got the big bucks.

Sadly, I agree with you wrt Kyle. I deeply appreciate his effort and what he has done for this team, but it is not realistic (imo) to expect him to have a healthy season. And his salary while not bank breaking, is substantial.

As for Hughes, the penalties do suck, but he got his money and it's clear that he still cares. He is really the only pass rusher we have under this loser defensive system. As I said in another post, my name for this defense is the "Jauronettes."

Papazoids awesome description fits Hughes to a T.

chuckled heartily

"Hughes is a talented, high motor idiot."

he is the best pass rusher and hustler we have.

Kyle got rolled upon by his own player. So questioning his ability to stay healthy is unfounded imho

Dareus is a question mark for me. but he is NOT a Nose

I know you are a big MW fan as a person and a player. I too have appreciated his game in 2013 and 2014. What worries me is that Mario suddenly gets spun as the bad guy and RR gets a pass. The issue is way more than Mario's comments and on field performance. Take away Mario this season as we would still have sucked on D. Let Mario not become an example scapegoat for the players being the main reason for the underperforming D.

Thank you for this post.

You are right, imo Mario IS a special guy. From what I have read, he lives in Houston and hangs out with cops and correction officers. Houston was short on cash and Mario spent a great deal of money buying them police cars. How many people do something so cool?

As a player, he is a freak. How many humans have a thin build, weigh 290, and are fast and as strong as a bull? The man was tremendous for years, now all of a sudden he sucks? Is that how this works?

I think that Rex Ryan is a fraud and a buffoon. He destroyed any chance of success this team had, despite finally getting an adequate (at least) quarterback. With the talent on our defense, this was no easy task.

I don't like what I have seen from Mario this season. It is disappointing but Mario Williams is NOT what is wrong with this football team. The biggest problem is the sub-par coach.

did you just call the Pegulas stupid?

so there is room for improvement ?

Papazoids awesome description fits Hughes to a T.

chuckled heartily

"Hughes is a talented, high motor idiot."

he is the best pass rusher and hustler we have.

Kyle got rolled upon by his own player. So questioning his ability to stay healthy is unfounded imho

Dareus is a question mark for me. but he is NOT a Nose

The decision was stupid.