Why can't Buffalo win?

RunninRebel37

I know this is the question on every fans mind right now but seriously? Our roster is talented, the coaching isn't bad (although the defense isn't playing anywhere NEAR as well as most thought) but this team just can't seem to win. I think Tyrod is the best QB we've had since Drew Bledsoe so I don't want to hear its the QB's fault. What is it that this team just CANT find a way to do?

Does this team deserve such a loyal fan base after producing nearly two decades of laughable ineptitude?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever hear of "The Secret?" In Buffalo, it works in reverse. We all expect things to turn to crap so they do.

I agree with this. When players play on the Buffalo Bills they just don't play with the confidence because they are always met with constant pessimism. When teams play the Bills, they expect to win. The bottom line is that we usually lose the psychological edge in the matchup and either start playing sloppy when the opposing team surprises us with good play or the other team just rises to the occasion and outplays the Bills.

I know this is the question on every fans mind right now but seriously? Our roster is talented, the coaching isn't bad (although the defense isn't playing anywhere NEAR as well as most thought) but this team just can't seem to win. I think Tyrod is the best QB we've had since Drew Bledsoe so I don't want to hear its the QB's fault. What is it that this team just CANT find a way to do?

Does this team deserve such a loyal fan base after producing nearly two decades of laughable ineptitude?

They consistently lose close games when they need their offense to step it up the most. You just have to pull them out at the end. The team had the ball with a chance to win/tie in the final minutes in the following losses:

1. Patriots #1

2. Jaguars

3. Patriots #2

4. Chiefs

5. Eagles

If they even just get two of those 5 (Jags and Eagles were just 3 pointers), we're talking about an 8-5 team right now.

It comes down to not scoring enough points and giving up too many. If the offense produced more drives that ended in scores, if the defense stopped touchdowns and gave up only field goals. Speaking of kicking, Dan Carpenter has been garbage this season. Makes you understand why Rex didn't attempt the 53 yarder last week.

Edited by Dr.Sack

Intelligence at the top. Other organizations have it more often than the Bills. No team is immune from a period of poor management. The Bills had great leadership only once with Polian. Maybe with Saban - I wasn't around to know. Other than that the upper management has been dreadful.

It starts at the top....lately they have been doing a decent job of drafting but not great

I would say that the inability to hire a real coach and obtain a QB that is even slightly better than average has been their major problem - you lose all those close games when you can't coach (clock management and half time adjustments) and you don't have a QB who can drive the field (even for FG range) in the last two minutes of the half/game....with either one of those the Bills would be sitting at 8-5 instead of 6-7 right now.

Our players have no fight, no heart, no desire to win, no leadership. Kyle Williams seems like the only player that is willing to bleed. It disgusts me how many players on our team throw their hand up and wave for relief from the sidelines during a game. The players are over paid prima donnas sure we have talent but winning takes something more.

analytics. they are bad at them. i made fun of management when they announced their analytics campaign because i felt it was a joke. and it was.

what algorithm trades a first round draft choice for a wide receiver in a draft deep in wr's? none. the bills fly by the seat of their pants and always have. when wilson was alive it often followed his whims. now it seems to be whaley's. doesn't matter who's whim it is, decisions should be made on probabilities and likelihoods. they aren't and haven't been.

for most of the history of the team a self imposed financial constraint to winning also played a part. this was especially true of coach and management hires. that seems to be gone. fortunately the analytical problems are much easier to fix.

They consistently lose close games when they need their offense to step it up the most. You just have to pull them out at the end. The team had the ball with a chance to win/tie in the final minutes in the following losses:

1. Patriots #1

2. Jaguars

3. Patriots #2

4. Chiefs

5. Eagles

If they even just get two of those 5 (Jags and Eagles were just 3 pointers), we're talking about an 8-5 team right now.

This is probably the crux of the issue at it's simplest. Most NFL games are close. The final possession for each team and the last and first possession of the 2nd and 3rd seem of greatest importance in those contests. The Bills have not been proficient in passing offense for some time . The current rules overwhelmingly favor the passing game. Pulling out the close ones requires crisp execution of a two minute or 4 minute type offense. The Bills seem to be able to win if they just dominate another team and build a big lead. You will get a few of those. But they don't come up on the plus side of a lot of close ones. That'usually starts with the QB and then on to the O's top playmakers to get the job done.

I agree with this. When players play on the Buffalo Bills they just don't play with the confidence because they are always met with constant pessimism. When teams play the Bills, they expect to win. The bottom line is that we usually lose the psychological edge in the matchup and either start playing sloppy when the opposing team surprises us with good play or the other team just rises to the occasion and outplays the Bills.

+1 on this. Clearly there's been some kind of mo jo workin' .

Could it simply be probability? Depressing as the thought is, it stands to reason that, putting all the major-league sports together and giving it enough time, there will be at least one franchise that will whiff again and again, despite changes in ownership, management, coaching and personnel. The extremely improbable does happen. Unfortunately, it appears to be happening to our team.

Strongly disagree.

How can you possibly disagree with this? Most not all Bills fans are some of the most pessimistic fans around. Bills fans expect to lose because over the years the Bills have done so. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Images that can't leave our heads or hearts. Kicks sailing wide right. Kick offs being returned and fumbles to give the opponent the winning TD.

Sorry but to say you strongly disagree with that is fine and you can do it. To me it is like saying I strongly disagree that the sky is blue.