Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team

YoloinOhio

Have you experienced a championship as a fan?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced a championship as a fan of another team?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, which sport?

• NBA
    • NHL
    • MLB
    • College Football
    • College Basketball
    • Soccer
    • Other
    • N/A, I am still waiting

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jays, 92 & 93. It's been a long dry spell for all my teams.

Blue Jays-92/93

Duke Basketball-91,92,01,10,15 (Yes, I accept that I will be boo'd for being a Duke fan, but I come by it honestly)

I worked at Duke and was there for the championship in 2010. It was a hell of a lot of fun.

My post against fair weather fans is the stupidest thing you've ever seen on a message board?

May I ask what prompted you to be a fan of the Chicago Bulls in the 90's? Per chance, was it their winning? Oh, it was? Carry on.

Because I moved there, I hadn't had an NBA team after the Braves left when I was 10, and when I moved to Chicago in 1989 there was a palpable excitement about the team in the same way there was in Buffalo in 1987. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Like most others have said, though, it's nothing compared to what it would be like with a Bills or Sabres win.

Bills fans only. Have you been to the mountaintop as a fan of another team? Or still waiting?

Lots: Lakers, Warriors, LA Kings

In my younger years and also when I used to like baseball: Atlanta Braves, Oakland A's, Chicago Bears.

Im a Laker fan big time so lots of titles I got to see there, but I grew up in northern Cali and always had a soft spot for the Warriors (going back to Run TMC days) and Sacramento Kings because I used to go to games a lot growing up. But if they played the Lakers, I would cheer for the Lakers...still the same to this day. Although if Warriors and Lakers played right now, I would cheer for the Warriors because I want the Lakers to lose so they can keep their first round pick in next years draft (its only top 3 protected, otherwise it goes to 76ers).

LA Kings - Not a huge hockey follower, but I enjoy going to the games and follow pretty closely once playoffs roll around with my friends around here. So, this one doesn't matter that much to me, but it has been fun rides quite a few times.

Braves and A's. When I was younger, I was an A's fan back in the early McGwire days, Canseco, Dennis, etc. We used to go to the games. But as a kid collecting baseball cards, I also had lots of favorite players like Griffey, Frank Thomas, Maddox etc. Atlanta wound up having several of my favorite players and also some new ones that I became fans of and I wound up being more of a Braves fan as I got a little older as a kid (Justice, Maddox, McGriff, Glavine, Smoltz, etc). So it was painful being a Bills fan and Braves fan at the same time as they were both always the runner up lol, except Atlanta did get one title. But I lost interest in baseball a long time ago with the scandals, long boring seasons, etc. Now, i just enjoy going to games in different stadiums with friends.

Bills/Bears. I was a Bears fan as a little kid as I loved Walter, the fridge, and McMahon. But after he retired (I was like 8) I didn't really care about the Bears and wound up a big Bills fan when I fell in love with the K-Gun offense and such right around the time I started understanding football. So I got a SB win with the Bears when I was a little kid, but other than that, the bulk of my 39 years of life have been very painful in football.

USWNT. esp the 1999 team.

Went to the semi final in Wash DC when USA defeated Germany 3--2

Brandi Chastain inadvertently scored an own goal.

Saw a parent walking several girls up the aisle at JFK.

I asked my daughter, "Those girls look familiar."

She replied, "Yes , the blonde girl is the one that kicked me In the head

at the indoor tournament in Huntington. " Tournament was in 1997.

Awwwww, memories.

Lots: Lakers, Warriors, LA Kings

In my younger years and also when I used to like baseball: Atlanta Braves, Oakland A's, Chicago Bears.

Im a Laker fan big time so lots of titles I got to see there, but I grew up in northern Cali and always had a soft spot for the Warriors (going back to Run TMC days) and Sacramento Kings because I used to go to games a lot growing up. But if they played the Lakers, I would cheer for the Lakers...still the same to this day. Although if Warriors and Lakers played right now, I would cheer for the Warriors because I want the Lakers to lose so they can keep their first round pick in next years draft (its only top 3 protected, otherwise it goes to 76ers).

LA Kings - Not a huge hockey follower, but I enjoy going to the games and follow pretty closely once playoffs roll around with my friends around here. So, this one doesn't matter that much to me, but it has been fun rides quite a few times.

Braves and A's. When I was younger, I was an A's fan back in the early McGwire days, Canseco, Dennis, etc. We used to go to the games. But as a kid collecting baseball cards, I also had lots of favorite players like Griffey, Frank Thomas, Maddox etc. Atlanta wound up having several of my favorite players and also some new ones that I became fans of and I wound up being more of a Braves fan as I got a little older as a kid (Justice, Maddox, McGriff, Glavine, Smoltz, etc). So it was painful being a Bills fan and Braves fan at the same time as they were both always the runner up lol, except Atlanta did get one title. But I lost interest in baseball a long time ago with the scandals, long boring seasons, etc. Now, i just enjoy going to games in different stadiums with friends.

Bills/Bears. I was a Bears fan as a little kid as I loved Walter, the fridge, and McMahon. But after he retired (I was like 8) I didn't really care about the Bears and wound up a big Bills fan when I fell in love with the K-Gun offense and such right around the time I started understanding football. So I got a SB win with the Bears when I was a little kid, but other than that, the bulk of my 39 years of life have been very painful in football.

Gee, Lakers AND Warriors....

Syracuse Basketball in 2003 (after losses in 96 and 87--but was too young to remember 87); and Penguins in 2009 (was not much of a hockey fan in the early 90's). The Bills winning would top all of these.

Fellow Pittsburgh resident?

Yes, Washington, Pa actually!

WAR EAGLE!!!! R

Sorry don't get the reference!

sorry, couldn't resist. have family members that are Auburn fans/grads, but a great friend who is a huge Bama fan. Does winning so much get old? (something Bills fans have not had to consider).

Excluding my other football team:

New York Yankees (2009, freely admit I didn't give a **** about MLB before 2004)

UB has won a MAC title in both Football and Basketball, they weren't national titles so I don't know if they count.

A soccer team I follow in Europe has won a bunch. Along with the USWNT in 1999 and 2015.

Edited by NyQuil

Gee, Lakers AND Warriors....

Lakers always, first and foremost.

I like sacramento Kings and Warriors as a nor cal boy too. Used to have Both Showtime and Run TMC posters on my wall as a kid. So been fun seeing the Warriors do well, but I rock Laker gear only and my dogs name is Kobe lol. I hate Lebron led teams so I loved the championship series last year seeing the Warriors send them home.

2011 - Lancashire won the County Championship for the first time since 1934. I'm talking cricket but nobody knows what that is.

Quite a few trophies growing up as a Wigan Warriors fan too.

I know what it is,,, but having been bought up in a minor county my affiliation is for the other coloured rose on the basis of two of my favourite England players growing up being Yorkies.

And whilst not a big Rugby League fan I remember those great Wigan teams of the 90s. Dominant.

NBA- I can pick sure pickem. I've been a Golden State Warriors fan since I moved West in 1980. So, I have endured just about as many disappointing and losing seasons as I have as a Bills' fan. This year's championship was well worth the wait.

Also was a fan of the Larry Bird Celtics ('81, '84 & '86 titles) and the New York Knicks ('70 & '73 titles)

MLB- New York Mets ('86), Oakland A's ('89)

College Football- Notre Dame

College Basketball- Syracuse, Duke

NHL- Not only have I endured 45 seasons of the Sabres with no titles and 2 Finals appearances, I also became a fan of the San Jose Sharks, who have no titles or Finals in 25 years

Being a Bills fan for 45 years, if they finally win one in my lifetime it will be the best. For now, it's the Warriors win this year.

Growing up I was a big Mets fan...witnessed the 1986 world championship when I was 11 years old....still remember going crazy after the Mets won game six(aka the "Buckner" game) but really quietly because my parents were sleeping at the time...

Only time one of my teams has won anything(well, other than the Bandits, but they don't really count)