Report: Seantrel Henderson Has Crohn's Disease

26CornerBlitz

I have it - I'm on a drug for it and changed my diet to reduce/eliminate fiber. Haven't had a problem since my diagnosis.

The flares are excruciatingly painful, so I do everything possible to avoid them. If you're not willing to change your lifestyle...you're going to need surgery sooner than those who work to avoid it. Eating 3000 calories is hard enough for me - I can't even imagine how many calories a guy Seantrel's size needs to maintain his weight.

Good luck Seantrel!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a rotten break. I know people who suffer from this. It is not pleasant. I wish him well and hope it is manageable.

So I don't really post here all that often, just usually read the boards to see how everyone's feeling about the state of our team. However, this thread strikes extra close to home for me, so I felt compelled to post.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 8 years old. Of course, it was extremely difficult when I was first diagnosed and you truly need to stay on top of this disease or it will get out of control. There have been times where I have lost 30+ pounds in a 2.5 week span, so the rapid weight loss does happen and it comes extremely quickly. The point being, this is something that is serious and something that Seantrel will need to take seriously.

HOWEVER, this does not mean it is an end for his NFL career in the slightest. Although I was never a professional athlete, I've played hockey since I was 5 years old and I continue to play to this day. You can go on and live your life normally as long as you keep up to date on your medication and seeing the doctors. I played contact sports my whole life with it. I went to college and drank plenty of beers with it. It is a very aggressive disease, but it can be contained.

I did not post this in an effort to try and turn the tables to talk about myself, but I just wanted to express my own experiences with this disease and just say that it does not mean the end of his career. It is just going to be something that he powers through and gets tougher from, and he will be fine when he comes out on the other side.

Wishing Seantrel nothing but the best, and a speedy recovery. While there is no cure, they will be able to get it under control. Once they do, he will be back to himself in no time. And we need him - we are a better football team with him on the field.

Thanks for posting this. Very enlightening.

can snowball out of control i.e. lose 20 pounds, takes your strength- Dont need him this year. I hope they put together a program to combat this and carry on what hopefully will be a stellar career. He never came across as doesn't want to play or no heart so for me I felt something is going on

same here.

Ulcerative colitis is very similar to Crohn's, collectively they're called IBD or irritable bowel disease. I've had ulcerative colitis since I was 12 (I'm 55 now). It's been pretty much under control since my late 20s. But, as a kid I had very frequent flair ups. I was only hospitalized once for it, when I was 24 - my weight had dropped to below 120 pounds. When I had flair ups I lost a lot of weight and had very little strength. I'd have very regular intense stomach cramps and would go to the bathroom 12 times per day. No way could I have played a sport. Also, when I had flair ups the primary medication was prednisone, a steroid which I assume would be illegal in the NFL. The prednisone actually destroyed my hips and knees enough so that one of my hips had to be replaced. No issues at all now, I take medication regularly. By the way, although he's just a kicker, I remember Rolf Bernirschke, former Chargers kicker, had ulcerative colitis badly enough that he was in the hospital during the week between games to be fed intravenously.

very sad. all the best to seantrel. hopefully he can recover.

Again, as someone with Crohn's, he's going to be fine. Please stop with the prayers and the hoping he survives, etc. It's something he'll always have to deal with but I would be shocked if it dramatically affected his career at all. He does not have cancer, ok guys? You guys know Matt Light played his whole career with Crohn's, right? Theo Fleury, Kevin Dineen, David Garrard, Shannon Doherty, the list goes on and on.

Ulcerative colitis is very similar to Crohn's, collectively they're called IBD or irritable bowel disease. I've had ulcerative colitis since I was 12 (I'm 55 now). It's been pretty much under control since my late 20s. But, as a kid I had very frequent flair ups. I was only hospitalized once for it, when I was 24 - my weight had dropped to below 120 pounds. When I had flair ups I lost a lot of weight and had very little strength. I'd have very regular intense stomach cramps and would go to the bathroom 12 times per day. No way could I have played a sport. Also, when I had flair ups the primary medication was prednisone, a steroid which I assume would be illegal in the NFL. The prednisone actually destroyed my hips and knees enough so that one of my hips had to be replaced. No issues at all now, I take medication regularly. By the way, although he's just a kicker, I remember Rolf Bernirschke, former Chargers kicker, had ulcerative colitis badly enough that he was in the hospital during the week between games to be fed intravenously.

I mentioned prednisone in an earlier post. You raise an interesting point- that would be insane if they didn't allow him to take and play with prednisone in his system. I have to think there's an exception to be had there. It's a quick fix and the closest thing to a cure all but is the opposite of a long term solution.

Thanks for posting, my neice has been suffering with Crohns for a long time and my Dad thought he might have had it as well. I really didn't realize it was such an awful disease to deal with.

So I don't really post here all that often, just usually read the boards to see how everyone's feeling about the state of our team. However, this thread strikes extra close to home for me, so I felt compelled to post.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 8 years old. Of course, it was extremely difficult when I was first diagnosed and you truly need to stay on top of this disease or it will get out of control. There have been times where I have lost 30+ pounds in a 2.5 week span, so the rapid weight loss does happen and it comes extremely quickly. The point being, this is something that is serious and something that Seantrel will need to take seriously.

HOWEVER, this does not mean it is an end for his NFL career in the slightest. Although I was never a professional athlete, I've played hockey since I was 5 years old and I continue to play to this day. You can go on and live your life normally as long as you keep up to date on your medication and seeing the doctors. I played contact sports my whole life with it. I went to college and drank plenty of beers with it. It is a very aggressive disease, but it can be contained.

I did not post this in an effort to try and turn the tables to talk about myself, but I just wanted to express my own experiences with this disease and just say that it does not mean the end of his career. It is just going to be something that he powers through and gets tougher from, and he will be fine when he comes out on the other side.

Wishing Seantrel nothing but the best, and a speedy recovery. While there is no cure, they will be able to get it under control. Once they do, he will be back to himself in no time. And we need him - we are a better football team with him on the field.

So nice for Vic Carruci to report on something so personal to someone. What a moron.

I was listening to Sal C on WGR last night and he said the media knew about this weeks ago but didnt report it out of respect for his privacy.

Maybe Henderson gave them the ok to report it now

CBF

I don't know much about it. But my wife's family had a friend who had it and it was a major cause of her death (died in her late 30s). I think it was just a spiral of a bunch of surgeries, side effects, health issues. Probably extremely rare, but it was a factor in her passing. She left behind 4 kids too. Very sad.

Extremely rare. That's too bad, I'm sorry to hear that. Scares the s**t out of me.

Extremely rare. That's too bad, I'm sorry to hear that. Scares the s**t out of me.

Yeah-- I didn't want to even post it, because I know you and others said you suffered from it. And being a hypochondriac of sorts myself, I hate when I see stuff like this on internet boards (e.g., makes you always think of the worst case scenario).

I will say that in this woman's case, it just seemed like one complication after another, especially with the multiple surgeries and meds. I think she was also on some meds that weakened her immune system (like for RA). So, I doubt they even know what exactly pushed her to the end.

Maybe people like Joe B (and others on this board) who have been over the top critical of this guy will relax and gain some perspective.

At least one guy on this board suggested that Seantrel was not sick but only wanted to avoid playing against JJ Watt.