Report: Seantrel Henderson Has Crohn's Disease

26CornerBlitz

Next, skin cancer is a risk, as are other things, with other autoimmune medications. I've been on strong autoimmune medication for 13 years. No cancer yet. Lucky me, or to put it in words that you understand - I'm not having fun yet.

I used to work in biologics drug development at a major pharma company, so I have a good look "under the hood" at the drug development process. While all side effects, especially serious ones, need to be reported, I can tell you a lot of quite promising drug candidates get killed off in Phase III clinical trials if the incidence of side effects is considered too high - not by the company, but by the FDA. What is "too high", of course, varies depending upon the severity of the illness being treated and the effectiveness/side effects of other available treatments so in the case of rheumatoid arthritis/crohn's disease etc the alternative treatments not being very effective and having ghastly long-term side effects, the very effective TNF inhibitors have a lower bar to jump than if they were treating flu, or high blood pressure, but still, the incidence gets very carefully scrutinized.

Point being, I'm delighted to hear adalimumab works for you and while I'm sure you are, and should be, regularly screened for skin cancer, I wouldn't lose sleep over the side effects list.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Crohn's Disease and can assure you that a) diet is critical to managing Crohn's (although as I stated already, more often than not, if I'm in full on remission, I can eat whatever I want and if I'm mid flare, anything will set it off) and b) everyone's illness is wildly different. Gluten absolutely affects me and makes me bloated. In fact, most people I know with Crohn's are affected by gluten more than anything else. For me, greasy foods are not an issue, for many they are.

And as far as calling the dude out and saying it's time for him to play, you do realize he hasn't even returned to Buffalo yet after being hospitalized in Philly, right?

? he was saying I think, that Kujo (not Henderson) should play. It's Henderson who has Crohns and was hospitalized in Philly, right? Kujo has been a healthy scratch?

One's age and lifestyle contributes a lot to "Crohns is manageable"

best of luck!

Indubitably, but the specifics of the individual disease have probably the most to do. Some people lead quite healthy lifestyles and are quite willing to change their diet, avoid alcohol etc and their Crohns still runs nuts. Life sucks like that sometimes.

@mikerodak

Bills’ Seantrel Henderson reportedly has Crohn’s Disease. Here’s @MikeReiss story on how affected NE’s Matt Light: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7903017/matt-light-reveals-decade-long-battle-crohns

@viccarucci

#Bills OT Seantrel Henderson is battling Crohn's disease & could miss final 3 games of the season. Full story: http://bit.ly/1ZcCBZY

not fun, praying for ya big guy

I mentioned prednisone in an earlier post. You raise an interesting point- that would be insane if they didn't allow him to take and play with prednisone in his system. I have to think there's an exception to be had there. It's a quick fix and the closest thing to a cure all but is the opposite of a long term solution.

Prednisone is a corticosteroid. It reduces inflammation. Short term, people who don't have psychological effects (depression/euphoria) have relatively minimal side effects ("moon face", fluid retention, some muscle loss). Long term, they cause a laundry list of side effects including immune suppression, insulin resistance/ sometimes diabetes, muscle wasting, and osteoporosis - not good drugs to take systemically over the long term, unless the alternatives are worse.

The banned steroid drugs are anabolic steroids, which help to build muscle at a heavy cost to the emotions ('roid rage) as well as potential cardiovascular and neurological damage.

Again, as someone with Crohn's, he's going to be fine. Please stop with the prayers and the hoping he survives, etc. It's something he'll always have to deal with but I would be shocked if it dramatically affected his career at all. He does not have cancer, ok guys? You guys know Matt Light played his whole career with Crohn's, right? Theo Fleury, Kevin Dineen, David Garrard, Shannon Doherty, the list goes on and on.

I wish you very well, and am so glad you are fine! But again, with autoimmune diseases, they are very individual. Some people have a relatively mild case which is readily managed with "lower tier" drugs and some diet changes, I hope you are one and remain one for years. Others have severe disease that must be beaten into submission with the "big guns" of monoclonal antibody drugs (Humira, Remicade) and/or require multiple surgeries and yeah, if it's not caught and beaten into submission in time can develop toxic megacolon, intestinal bleeds, or intestinal perforations and yeah, that's prayer and hope territory. Will it affect his career, that really depends upon the details of his individual disease and what he needs to manage it.

The problem with being an elite athlete is most of them develop a high acceptance for severe pain that would be debilitating to normal people so it is possible Henderson "played through it" until it became so severe he got into a serious case with bad complications.

Hope not.

It bothers me a poster could trivialize a serious medical condition. I work in the medical field and very familiar with this and other GI diseases. To Metzelaars, thanks for sharing and glad your doing ok. I feel for Seantrel as it will be a challenge to play in the NFL with this condition, but hope he can do it.

To the Busta guy, you need not post here again. How can you say that to someone on skin cancer? I don't care how you meant it, sarcastic, kidding, whatever. It's thoughtless and mean.

As Buff Barbarian said and right, prayers for Seantrel. That's the right response. Thanks BB.

First thing they should look at is Low Dose Naltrexone(LDN) therapy. Crohn's is one of the best responders to it and has a near 100% reversal rate in studies. I personally know 3 people with Crohn's that have done it and they were completely reversed within 6-8 weeks...

Lowdosenaltrexone.org

However like any autoimmune/bowel/intestinal issue it's roots lie in gut bacteria balance. Fix the gut bacteria issue, fix the problem.

The expertise on this board is amazing. I'm thinking of dropping my health insurance - what's the deductible for TBD health care?

Truth.

respect to all who have provided information with the very best of intention.

Grateful for all i have learned

and sympathy for those that suffer

The expertise on this board is amazing. I'm thinking of dropping my health insurance - what's the deductible for TBD health care?

LoL !

1. Prednisone is not an anabolic steroid. Has nothing to do with PED's.

2. Crohn's is managable. Wonder if they knew at the time of the draft or if this is a new diagnosis. Either way as others have said he can play if they get it under control.

3. Diet has almost no affect. Gluten affects celiac sprue not Crohn's. Though they can become vitamin b12 deficient and develop anemia - especially if they need surgery. The part of small intestine removed is critically important for b12 absorption.

4. Lastly... it is time for Kujo to play. Let him start final three games.

Patently false. Diet is EVERYTHING to these type of conditions. Diet controls what type of bacteria flourishes in the gut(the good or the bad). The reason foods are considered "healthy" for the most part is because of the effect they have on the bacteria in the gut..."good" foods are preferred by "good" bacteria(ones that produce helpful or inflammatory reducing substances). "Bad" foods are preferred by "bad" bacteria(ones that produce harmful or inflammatory causing substances). Any autoimmune disease starts and ends with the type of food you put in your body every day. Why can't the body heal itself? Because all day long it's eating foods that are causing it to become inflamed.

Here is a surprising treatment for this spectrum of diseases:

http://thefecaltransplantfoundation.org/what-is-fecal-transplant/

Again, it all goes back to gut bacteria. The more they look at it, the stronger the relationship becomes between the type and variety of gut bacteria a person carries and chronic conditions.

I dunno. I don't take prescriptions. Never have never will. Prevention through careful maintenance of your health>>>>>>>>>>> Becoming another "Cha Ching" in Big Pharma's Cash Register for Life program in accordance with their Little Brother the FDA

Edited by matter2003

• 1 month later...

Henderson illness leaves RT spot in flux

The Bills drafted a pair of offensive tackles in the 2014 NFL draft hoping to address a shortage of talent at the position. The last two seasons Seantrel Henderson had manned the starting role at right tackle for Buffalo. Diagnosed with an undisclosed medical condition midway through the 2015 season, it’s unclear whether Henderson can effectively continue as Buffalo’s starter moving forward. It’s put Buffalo’s front office in the position of being proactive in case Henderson can’t manage his illness and be readily available each and every Sunday.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's too bad Henderson has that disease, truly. However, this team needs to win. Keep him if he can keep up, but who knows what his availability is going to be? Best to get a new RT, or hope Kuandijo can live up to expectations as a 2nd round pick and take over the job. I like Henderson, as he seems to have LT agility but on the right side of the field.