The MMQB: Is Tyrod Taylor "The Guy"?

26CornerBlitz

I think your reaching here.

It's a business. Bills have to protect their own interest here and Tyrod has to prove himself as a long term starter.

If Tyrod has another good year and Bills offer him a substantial contract and he really doesn't want to play here because the Bills "didn't believe in him" which wouldn't be the case at all, it would more so be the Bills protecting themselves in case their belief in Tyrod was wrong, then what can you do?

What do you suggest? Offer him a contract now and not draft a QB?

Do you remember Ryan Fitzpatrick?

I do remember Fitz's deal. It was for short money, appropriate for a mid-tier starting QB. And yes, you could offer Tyrod a bridge deal as a show of belief. Pay him $4-5MM for 2016 if he's starter, then you can decide the larger deal later. Makes more sense to me than waiting till the end of 2016.

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: It sounds like Tyrod Taylor will be the #Bills QB into 2016, too ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/16/it-sounds-like-tyrod-taylor-will-be-the-qb-into-2016-too/

So pay the man something that shows your faith.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so your saying he plays like a a first year starter

1st year starter or 3rd year starter, some guys never get it. Not saying Tyrod is one who won't progress, just saying that right now he has trouble throwing his WR's open and trusting them to be in a gap the defense is giving him. Throws a pretty deep ball at times, but he has to be able to work the spaces in between when the deep ball is not an option. On a side note....... JP Losman threw one hell of a deep ball too. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

Taylor doesn't see the middle of the field well according to Bills lead cheerleader Chris Brown on the WGR Monday morning extra point show.

Besides, what kind of NFL OC doesn't call routes that go over the middle of the field at some point in a game? Because I'm pretty sure they're not all within 5 yards or along the sidelines.

Play-calling may again be suspect, but it's not all on the OC. The QB needs to make the intermediate throws when they're available.

Baffles me how Roman is always the target when things don't go right. Every play has WR or TE, or RB running some sort of route through the middle of the field, short, mid, or long. It's up to the QB to get the ball in that area. When the QB constantly goes sideline or checkdowns, that's on him not the OC.

He needs to improve on the short/intermediate quick pass game, otherwise I'm content with him for now. Our defense is the major problem this year.

that is what is really frustrating. Over this playoff drought we always seem to have one side of the ball playing really good while the other not so much.

take this years O with last years D and we have a playoff caliber team.

Blame the last one on the O-Line. It was terrible. You can say "well Roman should have adjusted and had even thrown shorter passes to get some momentum like Brady".

Blame the O Line but the guy nicknamed T-Mobile ........

There are 100's of reasons and excuses. The bottom line is the team IMO lost a game they should have won.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

Very classy of Rex to throw TT under the bus after Sunday's game stating "he must learn to win in the last two minutes of the game" . While true. he would not be in this position with any element of decent coaching. What about the 15 penalties, why are we strong in the first half then suck in the second? I watch the mental and coaching errors every week and ask myself "what the hell does this team do all week": TERRIBLE

Very classy of Rex to throw TT under the bus after Sunday's game stating "he must learn to win in the last two minutes of the game" . While true. he would not be in this position with any element of decent coaching. What about the 15 penalties, why are we strong in the first half then suck in the second? I watch the mental and coaching errors every week and ask myself "what the hell does this team do all week": TERRIBLE

Rex has been Tyrod's most ardent supporter. He in no way threw Tyrod under the bus.

Shane nelson, have you been watching the games? The 2 minute drill has been horrible all season!

Edited by NOVABillsFan

No 300 yard passing games. When he throws for under 200 yards they win. His numbers are good. Seemed to have a lot of balls batted down last week. He's 0-4 when down by a td in the last two minutes. I think he needs to get better to be the long-term answer. He deserves to be starter next year. Team still needs a viable back-up whether that's drafting a guy early or signing someone.

Franchise tag. Then work on a deal.

I doubt Taylor plays a great 2016 and then decides he doesn't want to play in Buffalo, especially since the Bills, I would think, would write a hefty check to him. Money talks.

And why don't the Bills believe in him? Because they wouldn't have signed him right after this season? At this point I'm sure Taylor, and his agent, know that he has a bit more to prove before he locks up a big long term deal.

If you're set on a QB you give him a contract, if you're not set you don't pay a QB $18,544,000 for a franchise tag year. That's the current amount a QB gets with a franchise tag. It'll be more next year surely. It's just too expensive if you're unsure.

No 300 yard passing games. When he throws for under 200 yards they win. His numbers are good. Seemed to have a lot of balls batted down last week. He's 0-4 when down by a td in the last two minutes. I think he needs to get better to be the long-term answer. He deserves to be starter next year. Team still needs a viable back-up whether that's drafting a guy early or signing someone.

Couple of the batted ones were screens... i know.. i was surprised too! screen passes?! crazy!!