Biggest Offseason Need: Football Czar

In my opinion, the only fix for this situation. The HC is probably try to muscle the personnel process to fit his system. The GM probably not interested in what the HC thinks after taking his roster and shttng the bed with it (especially on defense). The GM has failed in certain core aspects of building a winner (OL). The penalties are out of control and there are free agents that need to be signed and others shown the door. The money and draft choices have to be directed in a manner that helps us win games and cure these ills. I think we are in a lot of trouble if we do not add a respected non-owner management presence above every last element of this product because its not improving. Someone that carries absolute respect when it comes to the owner, front office and staff. Bill Polian is obviously the model here...

Who are the other Polian types out there that possibly have ties to the owner/Bills/Buffalo?

That's the problem, most who'd fit this bill are all over the hill. And right away the ywant ot bring in all their "own guys" I'm not at all convinced that's not what caused the entire Polien thing to fall apart when the rumors started flying how AJ Smith was going to be the next GM here. Think that's when TP told Bill P, no that's not what I want you to do, and he then "declined"

I may get shredded for suggesting this, but one name who doesn't have the big ego that would want to bring in his guys could be a Marv Levy. While I don't think he's all that qualified for the job, I'm also not that sure in this role you need anything more than a sounding board to run things by, he may be fine as a 2nd set of ears. We know he's all for lettign the majority rule when it comes to making choices

They don't need some old guy from yesteryear to straighten things out, so I disagree.

In my opinion, the only fix for this situation. The HC is probably try to muscle the personnel process to fit his system. The GM probably not interested in what the HC thinks after taking his roster and shttng the bed with it (especially on defense). The GM has failed in certain core aspects of building a winner (OL). The penalties are out of control and there are free agents that need to be signed and others shown the door. The money and draft choices have to be directed in a manner that helps us win games and cure these ills. I think we are in a lot of trouble if we do not add a respected non-owner management presence above every last element of this product because its not improving. Someone that carries absolute respect when it comes to the owner, front office and staff. Bill Polian is obviously the model here...

Who are the other Polian types out there that possibly have ties to the owner/Bills/Buffalo?

Yes indeed.Rex isn't going anywhere after 1 year, and Pegs needs someone with football knowledge & power to steer him in the right direction. Whaley is most certainly not the man to do it, he'll be lucky to get an extension to keep his current job... a major promotion for him is very highly unlikely.Don't know who the czar will be, but I'm sure Pegs has been working on it for quite a while, hopefully with NO help from Brandon.

Football czar would have been a disaster. Look at what Parcells did to Miami. Now imagine Polian inserting his son who failed in Indy as GM. No thanks.

So one actual and one hypothetical and it's a lost cause? Parcells was never a personnel guy and warred with his GMs as a HC. He turned around franchises from the HC position [NYG/NE/DAL], was not a fit for a czar position...lets not let him define the role. We need a proven front office type in this role so we dont crumble from the top down.

What is adding another chef going to achieve?

Speaking of Whaley, how does everyone like Gilleslee?

Its not another chef, its a manager that understands the restaurant business, how to handle a head chef, the inner workings of the kitchen and where to spend/save money on the quality of the menu. :) or something like that

They don't need some old guy from yesteryear to straighten things out, so I disagree.

Funny thing about that as an old guy from yesteryear recommended Todd Bowles to the NY Jets, and they are now 8-5.

Anyway, they could hire someone like the Packers GM Ted Thompson and promote him to team president of football operations.

This would give him the final say over everything on the football side, and If he wants to keep Ryan or Whaley it would be up to him. This move would take the owners, and Russ Brandon out of the football side of decisions.

Funny thing about that as an old guy from yesteryear recommended Todd Bowles to the NY Jets, and they are now 8-5.

Anyway, they could hire someone like the Packers GM Ted Thompson and promote him to team president of football operations.

This would give him the final say over everything on the football side, and If he wants to keep Ryan or Whaley it would be up to him. This move would take the owners, and Russ Brandon out of the football side of decisions.

I like the choice, not only for his track record of building/sustaining a perennial winner but especially because the GB fan base is the closest to the Bills as one could get in the NFL. Coming from an environment where success is an expectation, not an option, is a very attractive element to that choice as well.

Interesting guy for sure:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/ted-thompson/7d1caee3-e8f2-4e20-b304-98064f608dbb

So who makes the personnel decisions.....draft...FA signings.....etc?

So one actual and one hypothetical and it's a lost cause? Parcells was never a personnel guy and warred with his GMs as a HC. He turned around franchises from the HC position [NYG/NE/DAL], was not a fit for a czar position...lets not let him define the role. We need a proven front office type in this role so we dont crumble from the top down.

Its not another chef, its a manager that understands the restaurant business, how to handle a head chef, the inner workings of the kitchen and where to spend/save money on the quality of the menu. :) or something like that

Well, it's not going to happen. Rex is here for at least 2 more years unless Bills fall apart next year (defined as 6 or fewer wins).

We have a General Manager that makes these decisions. If you don't like Whaley, you fire him and hire a GM.

Please name me organizations that have this position.

Well, it's not going to happen. Rex is here for at least 2 more years unless Bills fall apart next year (defined as 6 or fewer wins).

We have a General Manager that makes these decisions. If you don't like Whaley, you fire him and hire a GM.

Please name me organizations that have this position.

I can name you one that NEEDS this position given it's circumstances (pre- existing structure, losing culture, and it's brand new ownership that admittedly isn't equipped for that sort of duty)

Don't care who already has it…many teams have someone that fills that owner to GM gap.

This isn't a new idea. Were we not begging Polian to take this very position not too long ago?

Terry spent 1.4B on this thing….I will let his actions do the talking. I do not think he goes into next season without having a guy of his own inside the football operation.

Why the heck would Thompson leave a great situation with the Packers? He's got Aaron Rodgers.

Not to mention this supposed Czar will have to keep Rex.

Why the heck would Thompson leave a great situation with the Packers? He's got Aaron Rodgers.

Not to mention this supposed Czar will have to keep Rex.

Whoever it is, $$$$$$$$$ talks.

And while Rex is still coaching this team in 2016, I think 2017 is wide open if he still doesn't get results.

Edited by Rico

That's the problem, most who'd fit this bill are all over the hill. And right away the ywant ot bring in all their "own guys" I'm not at all convinced that's not what caused the entire Polien thing to fall apart when the rumors started flying how AJ Smith was going to be the next GM here. Think that's when TP told Bill P, no that's not what I want you to do, and he then "declined"

I may get shredded for suggesting this, but one name who doesn't have the big ego that would want to bring in his guys could be a Marv Levy. While I don't think he's all that qualified for the job, I'm also not that sure in this role you need anything more than a sounding board to run things by, he may be fine as a 2nd set of ears. We know he's all for lettign the majority rule when it comes to making choices

I have consistently thought that Polian was taking his time so he could get into the HOF. After that was done, the Pegulas had already made progress and wanted to play out a year. I wouldn't be surprised by Polian being linked to Buffalo in the offseason.

The Pegulas needed an advisor for the football side of things when they completed the purchase of the Bills. I guess they need to retain that person now, but it would of made a lot more sense to do it when they bought the team so that the evaluation process could have been completed when last season ended. It is more complicated now with Ryan signed to a long-term deal, but after not making the playoffs for 16 years, a review of the entire football side of the organization is long overdue.

The GM is supposed to be the "football czar".

Maybe Whaley will get a promotion with more responsibilities with his extension after all, even with the current 6-7 record. Anything is possible, I guess. Brandon would have to do some heavy spinning though.

The Pegulas needed an advisor for the football side of things when they completed the purchase of the Bills. I guess they need to retain that person now, but it would of made a lot more sense to do it when they bought the team so that the evaluation process could have been completed when last season ended. It is more complicated now with Ryan signed to a long-term deal, but after not making the playoffs for 16 years, a review of the entire football side of the organization is long overdue.

At the press conference in January announcing Rex as HC a question was asked about differences of opinion between the HC and GM. At the time it was sort of laughed off and there was no real answer besides them saying Whaley had the 53 man roster and Rex/staff had the game day one Well, we saw how that arrangement undermines an organization when the GM is trying to overrule the HC in personnel matters.

The Pegulas brought this on themselves by trying to manage a GM who was intent on saving his job (and without a contract extension) by getting his guys PT and a HC who didn't agree. Maybe now they'll find someone who can do what apparently they thought they could this year supervising Rex and Whaley.

I see the concept, but ... this is what fans (and reporters) of all losing sports teams say: "we need a team president" or "we need a Director of Football (or baseball, or whatever) Operations." As if adding a layer of management will fix everything. My baseball team is the Rockies. They had a President above the GM. He died unexpectedly of a heart condition about half a dozen years ago. Ever since that time I've heard the "We need a Team President" thing every year. What we need is a GM with good judgement and a longer-range view, and a coach with a disciplined approach to building a consistent winner ... not another layer of bureaucracy.

This is the right answer... the problem is, they hired a lightning rod coach long term who is probably an immovable object at this point... and also committed big chunks of the cap long term. I have a bad feeling about whaley leaving this offseason. They will need to beg for a gm in this situation... let alone the top football exec. I'm sure we would see little grenades dropped into the media about that guy too from within the organization. Someone there has been slimy this leak process has been going on a few years.

Imo anything done at this point would be a half measure again. There is no way pegula just installs a man at the top with any options at this point.

The best I can hope for is they just stay the course. Keep whaley, rex, etc. One or two more seasons. Either the team is good and we are happy... or it falls further and pegula feels he needs to rebuild the bills program from the top down.