Spotrac calculates Taylor's current value through 10 games

YoloinOhio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, this will make heads spin here!!! There are MANY on this board that wont talk extension with him before his contract is up. That isn't realistic in today's NFL. I would JUMP at the chance to put together a Foles type of deal but I think that Tyrod's people would be crazy to accept that. I am thinking more along the lines of 4 years $60M with $30M or so guaranteed. That's a moving target and a number off the top of my head. That to me seems like a fair deal as of today.

The sample size just isn't worth investing in yet. We've been here before, he has to play enough to be given the chance to fail.

If he comes back for a second season and continues to improve, fine. I just don't see how it's anything but lunacy to give that to someone who has started 10 games.

The sample size just isn't worth investing in yet. We've been here before, he has to play enough to be given the chance to fail.

If he comes back for a second season and continues to improve, fine. I just don't see how it's anything but lunacy to give that to someone who has started 10 games.

I concur.

Ha ha, this will make heads spin here!!! There are MANY on this board that wont talk extension with him before his contract is up. That isn't realistic in today's NFL. I would JUMP at the chance to put together a Foles type of deal but I think that Tyrod's people would be crazy to accept that. I am thinking more along the lines of 4 years $60M with $30M or so guaranteed. That's a moving target and a number off the top of my head. That to me seems like a fair deal as of today.

I agree. I am thinking he would take more guaranteed money at a lower average salary along the lines of what you suggest. If he does get us into the playoffs I would assume the number jumps up a bit.

that does seem "fair." What are the remaining 2 (?) years currently worth?

I disagree totally regarding playing out the current deal. The Seahawks, for example, tagged Wilson after his deal ran out. I have two reasons for wanting to wait. The first is:

Yup. Sample size. I like a lot of what I've seen from TT, but I haven't seen enough yet. Before I give him an elite QB deal he has to show he can shoulder more of the weight of the offense - and stay healthy while doing it. Durability is a huge concern for me and that compounds as he's asked to do more.

The second has to do with the projected contract versus the cost of the franchise tag. There isn't much difference between a $20M per season average and the first year tag (which should be about that). I'm okay with tagging him and getting a deal done, or preferably telling him we are going to tag him and getting a deal done before we would have to actually use it.

Or I would do a Foles type of extension after June 1st, but before the 2016 season starts so no signing bonus money would hit in 2016. They could, of course, agree to the deal before then and wait to sign it. He's got 4 more games before then to consider.

Lastly, I totally understand the reasoning behind signing him early and saving some money. That's valid if you're sold. I'm not yet, not to that degree anyway. I've got no problem with paying an elite quarterback market value if I know I have one.

that does seem "fair." What are the remaining 2 (?) years currently worth?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor/

You really have to read the details, including the notes section. 2017 has already voided.

I'd generally agree , but Tyrod can make a serious case for himself these next four games. The Bills are in the thick of the wild card mix , and it's full pressure from this point on. There is really no margin for error remaining. A solid to excellent performance would bolster his position as this is the time when average QBs have failed the Bills in the past. Time to show he can be that franchise caliber guy. That would take precedence over the small sample size .

I'd generally agree , but Tyrod can make a serious case for himself these next four games. The Bills are in the thick of the wild card mix , and it's full pressure from this point on. There is really no margin for error remaining. A solid to excellent performance would bolster his position as this is the time when average QBs have failed the Bills in the past. Time to show he can be that franchise caliber guy. That would take precedence over the small sample size .

The rest of the season sure means a lot to TT. I want to add that (assuming a strong finish) it would be a big mistake if the Bills didn't offer him some sort of new contract or at least start that dialogue in the off-season. You don't want him to be angry and feel unappreciated. i'm OK with him feeling like he has to earn his money though.

win out, and he would garner that kind of money, if he fizzles along with the rest of the team, then wait it out..

Tim-

Unfortunately if he wins out he's worth a lot more potentially. It's a tough spot where market value and what fans think is fair don't line up. Just like you overdraft qb prospects you have to overpay them at these crossroads and hope for the best.

I have ZERO concern that the Bills will lose Taylor. I would expect them to do a contract restructure this offseason removing that voided year, adding a few more years and giving TT a nice signing bonus. It would not surprise my if they did try to just do a 2 year extension (keeping TT hear for 3 more years) and add something like 30-40m in New money over the 3 years (including the 1 year left on current contract). It also wouldn't surprise me if the Pegula's just backed up the Brinks truck and locked him up for 4-5 years. Either way, I expect Taylor to be here a while. (I would still advocate drafting a QB in the early part of the draft to develop behind him.

Niiice :D

Spotrac on Dec. 8:

Low Value (Hometown Discount)
Utilizing our Average Prime Percentage (-4.64%), we're provided with a fairly average value in terms of overall dollars and annual average:
4 years, $80,107,220 | $20,026,805 per year

Me on Dec. 7:

4 Year Extension, $80M, $12M Signing Bonus, $50M Guaranteed. Based on incentives he makes between 12.5M and 20M per year from '17 to '20. This is assuming the negotiations happen this offseason, of course.

By year's end,he will have started 14 (maybe more) games. And what if you let him go to free agency and signs elsewhere? Edited by PromoTheRobot