When will this end?!...

I still can't get over 2004. I was really high on Roethlisberger, not moving up to get him, then trading up to get Losman, then missing out on Rodgers with the pick we traded was the ultimate kick in the juevos.

Do you really think Rivers or Rodgers would of been the players they are If the Bills had drafted them?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't get over 2004. I was really high on Roethlisberger, not moving up to get him, then trading up to get Losman, then missing out on Rodgers with the pick we traded was the ultimate kick in the juevos.

I thought ol'Whitey tried to trade up?

I used to say that I want to watch the Bill in the SB with my dad 1 more time before he dies.

Now I am being realistic and saying I just want to watch a playoff game with him

CBF

5 years ago my Dad, and fellow Buffalo Bills lifelong fan, was dying from terminal cancer. During one of our conversations in those final weeks my Dad said "it sucks that I don't have enough time left to see the Bills win a Super Bowl"

I replied: " Dad, I don't think any of us have enough time left to see the Bills win a Super Bowl".

We had a good laugh

When the new owner realizes that continuity matters. The constant shuffle trying to find the new hot coach is probably one of the worst characteristics of the last 15+ years. Many here are headhunters, always looking to impart blame immediately on coaching and on scouting. I'd prefer to see Whaley and Rex stay and see what a number of years drafting with the same mindset and systems in place gets you. The equation comes down simply to a QB. The hot new coaching candidate always ends up where? On a team drafting near the top and without a QB. That hot new coach gets fired all the time... Why does he go from can't miss to also ran? Usually a bad QB. The list of coaches who are hot candidates every year is lengthy, they're run out as can't miss saviors and three years later, they're gone.

How about Jim Zorn, I looked at Washington first. He was a hot candidate after polishing a turd with Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle. He flamed out in DC after two seasons. Or Jay Gruden now with Washington. He was handed a Tecmo Bowl QB in RGIII and then Cousins, who some here clamor for but it just a mediocre QB. How about Cleveland? Pettine's done. The hot candidates before him died slow deaths without QBs.... Crennel, Mangini, Shurmur. How about the Jets.... Herm Edwards, Mangini, Rex, and certainly Bowles is next because we know what Fitz and they know what Geno is.

These are basically off the top of my head, there's more. But the point is clear you can't win in this league without a QB, it just doesn't matter who your coach is, just doesn't. Rex didn't win in NY because the QBs he had sucked. If Rex sucked, why isn't Geno staring over Fitz now? And why is Sanchez only starting for an injured Bradford?

You need to find a decent QB if you can't get a franchise QB and take the Bengals approach. Same coach, but the team and systems around a QB and continuity.

I also think blaming a QB for missing is misguided. GMs are in tough positions when to comes to QBs. The supply is continually more limited in terms of quality and the pressure to find one (demand) is increasingly high. They overdraft and miss, a lot. The should really just draft one a year not in the first and see what shakes out unless a sure fire franchise guy ends up in your lap. Can't fault Whaley/NIx for trying with Manuel, that's the demands of the league. EJ sucks. But they had to take a guy that year and who did they pass on? Here, let me refresh your memory... Geno, Barkley, Nassib, Glennon and it gets worse from there. They were in a no win situation, had to take one and they all sucked. They would have been roasted for not taking one.

Sure you can. Of no one in the draft class is worth a Damn why take one early? If you "have" to take one, take one later in the draft. I can certainly fault them for reaching up that high for (and more importantly, committing to) a mediocre prospect. And if they genuinely thought EJ Manuel was a good enough prospect to warrant legitimate first round consideration then that calls a lot into question about their ability to scout the position.

I agree we need to get players that fit Ryan's scheme. However, I'm not sure if I agree with you on Mario Williams. He doesn't fit Ryan's scheme, and quite frankly doesn't always show up to play. I've never seen a guy with such great career stats fail to show up for so many games. He occasionally has great games where he seems to compile all his stats. Then on other Sunday's he doesn't show up at all. Mario Williams epitomizes this years Bills better than any player as far as I'm concerned. Loads of talent but a lack of heart and killer instinct. He just doesn't play up to what his stats may indicate. I'm sure Texan fans are quite happy to have Watt. The guy never takes plays off, and shows up every week.

Players that fit Ryan's scheme. So paycheck guys who don't like to practice hard or get yelled at?

This is not exactly correct. 2004 draft , Tom Donahoe had trade agreed upon with Houston to move up and select Roethlisberger ahead of Steelers pick ( he knew they coveted Ben). Was a done deal and was reported on ESPN by Chris Mortenson. Bills fans should be mad at Atlanta. They selected a CB ( Hall ? Forget the first name but he later played for Redskins) and Houston backed out of the trade as they weren't sure they would get their man ( Dunta Robinson) with Bills pick , fearing a run on CBs. So as angry as I was , couldn't fault Donahoe. Just wish he had waited for Rodgers the next year but I don't think he was that highly regarded at the time. Leodis over Flacco was awful.

I posted the odds of missing the playoffs this many times in a row several years ago. It goes well beyond blind luck at this point. There is something in the water perhaps. One might even conclude this is a demonstration of skill, that the team is intentionally trying to not make the playoffs.

Edit: Back of napkin calculation, something like a 0.05% chance of pulling off a 16 year streak. :rolleyes:

It will end when new ownership wakes up and stops listening to the marketing guy, and hires an actual football man to run the football operations side of the team.

This team is in desperate need of a team president that actually knows football, and how to build a winning NFL team. The Bills had a guy like that back in the late 80's early 90's with Bill Polian, and the Pegula's reached out to him in the off season but he declined the job. It was reported that the new owners would hire a senior football adviser (football czar), and they never did. I'm hoping the do that after this season, hire a man like Packers GM Ted Thompson and promote him to team president.

The hiring of a 4-12 Jets head coach is looking more, and more like a huge mistake, and the real conundrum is with this years defense. The #1 sacking team in the NFL last season is now 30th!! :bag: The defensive guru has fallen, and he can't get up!

This years offense with last years defense, and this team is 9-2. JMO

Edited by Nihilarian

The truth? This won't end until the team builds an offense. They spend so many picks on defense, but I can't remember the last time we drafted a QB or OL in round 1.

What the hell are you talking about. We just took Manuel in round one a few years ago.

Ok it took me a little while to get to this subject, but for what it's worth I'm a Pirates fan and it took us 20 years to even have a winning record. In 2011 & 2012, we even had a winning record only to falter in late season. Finally in 2013 we broke through and even made the playoffs as a wild card. This is in a league that is in a relatively small market and no salary cap.

I'm hoping the same magic hits the Bills. Last year was close and this year we may even get closer, but at least we've had 2 seasons of winning records in that time. Things could be worse my friends. Beat Houston and its on to Philly. I think we still have a chance.

No it wasn't..

I wont argue over this years results. But if you are speaking about Doug Marrone? I must disagree.

and sabotage is a strong word.

Rebuild might be closer, but not quite correct either

The team that Ryan inherited was an upgrade from last year's 9-7 team, especially on offense. Although our OL still has issues it is markedly better with the addition of Incognito. It isn't great but with the exception at RT the line is competent. As much as some people complain about our qbing situation it is better with TT than it was with Orton. The addition of playmakers such as McCoy and Clay definitely increased the potency of the offense compared to what existed last year.

The staffing of this year's defense was very similar to last year's staffing. Adding Darby at CB was an upgrade. Without a doubt doubt injuries have taken a toll. But Ryan inherited a top tier defense and by any measurement he he has downgraded it. The altering of the defensive scheme has diminished the performances of Dareus and Mario, who were top tier players under Schwartz.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity has to acknowledge that the unlikeable Marrone got more out of the talent he had to work with than the current self-promoting huckster HC has gotten out of his roster. It's not surprising that this sloppy HC leads a team that is frequently penalized and doesn't consistently play with intelligence. What is evident to anyone watching these games is that coaching matters!

Yet our defense sucks.

You know those little glider airplanes that kids make out of balsa wood? It's like that. Only the kid was handed a brick instead of balsa wood. Cool looking stone slab, but how does it soar?

One might apply the same to the offense. It's not like this OL looked anything remotely like the 49ers collection of 1st round picks and man-mountain studs. The OL under Marrone was a total disaster.

It just is really frustrating...look at all the perennial bottom dwellers that have become good over the last few years:

Pittsburgh Pirates--missed the playoffs for 21 years now are one of the best teams in baseball. It sucks for them they have to play in the same division as the Cardinals...

Chicago Cubs---they have been really bad, gotten OK, back to being really bad and now appear to be on the cusp of one of the best young teams in baseball

Milwaukee Brewers---yeah they suck now but had a few year run in there where they were pretty good and made the playoffs twice between 2008 and 2011...after not being in for 25 years.

Kansas City Royals--made the playoffs for the first time last year after 29 years, were the laughingstock of baseball for numerous years, finishing worst or 2nd worst in their division 16 of those years...made it to the world series before losing in 7 last year and won the world series this year...

Toronto BlueJays---made the playoffs for the first time in 23 years this year, and had one of the best teams in baseball, leading the majors in runs by a long way...

Golden State Warriors---were a joke for much of their existence...made the playoffs once in the last 20 years before becoming good the last 3 years and winning the championship last year...

I'm sure there are more I am missing but these are off the top of my head...

It's time for this to end! All these crap ass teams have become good and we are still CRAP!!

Edited by matter2003

It just is really frustrating...look at all the perennial bottom dwellers that have become good over the last few years:

Pittsburgh Pirates--missed the playoffs for 21 years now are one of the best teams in baseball. It sucks for them they have to play in the same division as the Cardinals...

Chicago Cubs---they have been really bad, gotten OK, back to being really bad and now appear to be on the cusp of one of the best young teams in baseball

Milwaukee Brewers---yeah they suck now but had a few year run in there where they were pretty good and made the playoffs twice between 2008 and 2011...after not being in for 25 years.

Kansas City Royals--made the playoffs for the first time last year after 29 years, were the laughingstock of baseball for numerous years, finishing worst or 2nd worst in their division 16 of those years...made it to the world series before losing in 7 last year and won the world series this year...

Toronto BlueJays---made the playoffs for the first time in 23 years this year, and had one of the best teams in baseball, leading the majors in runs by a long way...

Golden State Warriors---were a joke for much of their existence...made the playoffs once in the last 20 years before becoming good the last 3 years and winning the championship last year...

I'm sure there are more I am missing but these are off the top of my head...

It's time for this to end! All these crap ass teams have become good and we are still CRAP!!

And baseball is an uneven playing field. Certain clubs enjoy gigantic economic advantages. Add that fewer MLB teams make the playoffs annually than in the NFL. So the sports aren't apples to apples.

But to the larger point: yes, it is possible for a franchise to get turned around. Even the Bills did it in the late 80s and early 90s.

In the NFL, it is hard to be this bad for this long. Other dysfunctional teams take advantage of weak schedules, a fluke hot-steak (RG3), or whatever—heck, even Tim Couch took the Browns to the playoffs—to slip into the playoffs here and there. The NFL system is designed to do precisely that.

Sure you can. Of no one in the draft class is worth a Damn why take one early? If you "have" to take one, take one later in the draft. I can certainly fault them for reaching up that high for (and more importantly, committing to) a mediocre prospect. And if they genuinely thought EJ Manuel was a good enough prospect to warrant legitimate first round consideration then that calls a lot into question about their ability to scout the position.

Agreed, because these are the same guys who gave themselves a gold star with Ryan Fitzpicks. The argument has been made in other ways, but there simply is no legitimate excuse for a qualified NFL GM to not always be on the lookout for the next guy to lead his team. The clown show came up with Tyler Thinwing Thigpen and Kevin Konkussion Kolb.

You really have to wonder. Are they going out of their way to be this bad? Some of these decisions ... :bag:

And baseball is an uneven playing field. Certain clubs enjoy gigantic economic advantages. Add that fewer MLB teams make the playoffs annually than in the NFL. So the sports aren't apples to apples.

But to the larger point: yes, it is possible for a franchise to get turned around. Even the Bills did it in the late 80s and early 90s.

In the NFL, it is hard to be this bad for this long. Other dysfunctional teams take advantage of weak schedules, a fluke hot-steak (RG3), or whatever—heck, even Tim Couch took the Browns to the playoffs—to slip into the playoffs here and there. The NFL system is designed to do precisely that.

It is often wrong to compare franchises in different sports. Baseball is less capped than football and basketball. But for historically bad franchises, such as the Buffalo Bills, much of its failure are due to its own organizational ineptitude more than its lack of resources. Ralph Wilson was more stringent with the purse than most of the other owners in his sport but that didn't fully explain his team's lack of competitiveness. Ralph was notorious for hiring less than competent people who unsurprisingly made peculiar decisions. Did anyone expect Marv Levy to be a capable GM? He was followed by the marketing gentleman, Russ Brandon, and then was followed by the good old boy, Buddy Nix, who would not have been considered a legitimate candidate for the position that the owner selected him for.

KC Royals just won the World Series. They certainly don't profligately spend money. The St. Louis Cardinals are in my estimation the best run franchise in their sport. They have solid financial resources but are not known to recklessly spend money. In the NBA San Antonio is not a major market and they are not known to be undisciplined with the way they handle money. Yet they have been consistently good and smartly run.

The central point I am making is obvious. If you don't smartly run your franchise, in whatever sport you want to consider, you will not be successful. Rex Ryan had a six year run in NY. The longer he coached the team the worse it got. He got fired from a team he left in shambles. And yet this mercurial organization found this bombastic fool an enticing candidate to be their HC. As the renowned philosopher Forrest Gump has wisely stated: Stupid is as stupid does!

When? Moments after the Bills clinch a WC spot in week 17

how-the-world-will-end-on-friday.jpg

Beat you too it. (almost)

525674_511327788878893_1579276681_n.jpg

CBF

1964, 1965.......(25 years).......1990, 1991, 1992, 1993........(25 years)........2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

so we have to wait 3 more seasons? :wallbash:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I may be off topic. and i am rarely objective.

But i am thinking more and more. Ryan has a method. Right or wrong , it takes more than one season to implement it.

All the hype generated by the hire was some something that gained steam till Fans were starting to believe. I mean the sold out seasons in proof enough Majority of Fans were full on.

I dont blame anyone for riding the wave of Momentum and getting ready to purchase the playoff tickets.

They looked terrible in practice and not so hot in preseason.

SB bound after the Colts

Fire everything !!! . after the 1st Pats game.

Its been a rough ride.

Don't get down and so frustrated folks. This has been the most exciting season in years. Not so much because of winning, but because i have no idea how the story plays out. Even during the game. Plenty to B word about and enough to shout about too.

Maybe some don't think Ryan will be the guy. Well i know JohnC doesn't : )

I have no idea if Ryan and or Whaley will. I find it interesting to watch though.

When TT came out throwing to Sammy in the pouring rain against GOOD double coverage i was all WTF is going one here! OMG.

Then we sucked again.

Hundred yard games by two RBs!

EJ's quarter of epic fail.

Plenty of moments(quarters) of both this season.

But as mentioned, odds wise its gotta happen soon. Getting on track for a solid long term run. And I dont want to miss it !

it will end when we get a competent HC and coaching staff. It begins & ends with leadership, attention to detail, discipline, and, above all, managing a game effectively, putting his players in positions to succeed, and making the right in-game & halftime adjustments.

until then, the circus continues and no playoffs for us. It's that simple. The $9m question is whether TPegs has the stones to eat the remaining $20m on Rex's contract.

Sadly, we remain a laughingstock with our comedian in charge.

it will end when we get a competent HC and coaching staff. It begins & ends with leadership, attention to detail, discipline, and, above all, managing a game effectively, putting his players in positions to succeed, and making the right in-game & halftime adjustments.

until then, the circus continues and no playoffs for us. It's that simple. The $9m question is whether TPegs has the stones to eat the remaining $20m on Rex's contract.

That's pretty harsh.

I find Rex to be a Reasonable honest guy. trying to turn turn the Media into Fans. His humor is often self deprecating and silly. Either you think it kinda funny or you think he is and idiot,

i suppose. But he is not stupid and not blind.

and i have no idea why you think we are the laughing stock. or a circus. Thats Cleveland :flirt:

We certainly are not darlings though. And we are not playoff caliber. yet.

Edited by 3rdand12

When you allow yourself to get hustled by this buffoon you deserve what you get get! The longer he was with the Jets the worse the team got. :bag:

Serious question as my buddies and I have already started discussing plans for next year...

After the Bills fans helped set a record for Most Season Tickets Sold this year, if we miss the playoffs again what are the chances we help set a record for Most Season Tickets Canceled next year?

I already dropped my family's STs back in the mid-2000s, picked them up again a couple years ago, but I'm not sure it's worth spending the ~$1200/year (plus the additional ~$100x8 for parking, tailgating, and game beers). Especially when we cant win at home, and we end up leaving sad and downtrodden most of the time.

Thoughts?...

Edited by DrDareustein

context my friend.

Listen to the record (youtube posted by BuffanAtl post #64) that Rex accumulated with the Jets and going against Marrone. His dismal record speaks for itself. If his six year record as a HC isn't enough of a context for you then I don't know what it could be.

The Bills defense under Petine and Schwartz were superb. Under Rex with much of the same personnel it is mediocre. That should be enough context to make a reasonable judgment.

I know this.

What about the genius Jets GM? and the dwindling lack of players to man the defensive secondary?

The team had a big disconnect those last two years.

There are some that will argue this much better than I. But seems Rex just did not fit with Idzak mind set.

I hope Pegula and Whaley still have the same vision for the Team and the method to get there.

Maybe Rex went #Rogue and will be let go. But i bet they are going to be patient.

at least till the whole of next season.

By then Bills sure as hell better be on a strong upswing.

I dont care too much for what the Bills did before or what the Jets did either personally. I respect the facts though JohnC.

Its a new combination of ingredients. Let them simmer awhile.

Then season to taste

Edited by 3rdand12

I know this.

What about the genius Jets GM? and the dwindling lack of players to man the defensive secondary?

The team had a big disconnect those last two years.

There are some that will argue this much better than I. But seems Rex just did not fit with Idzak mind set.

I hope Pegula and Whaley still have the same vision for the Team and the method to get there.

Maybe Rex went #Rogue and will be let go. But i bet they are going to be patient.

at least till the whole of next season.

By then Bills sure as hell better be on a strong upswing.

I dont care too much for what the Bills did before or what the Jets did either personally. I respect the facts though JohnC.

Its a new combination of ingredients. Let them simmer awhile.

Then season to taste

When you are considering someone for a job one's six year record in a similar position should be a major factor when considering the candidate for the same position. He was fired by the Jets and quickly hired by the Bills. Very perplexing and very odd!

It is a mistake to believe that Rex was not on board with his GM's personnel moves. It wouldn't be surprising if RR disagreed with some of the GM's moves but in general they were in accord on most of the moves.

The hiring of Rex Ryan made no sense to me. It's still very early in his tenure but he is living up to/down to his prior record with his former team. It is a fact that Doug Marrone's team dramatically outperformed Rex's team when they competed against one another. The longer Rex was with the Jets the worse his team performed. I find that ominous for someone who was given a five year contract.

When you are considering someone for a job one's six year record in a similar position should be a major factor when considering the candidate for the same position. He was fired by the Jets and quickly hired by the Bills. Very perplexing and very odd!

It is a mistake to believe that Rex was not on board with his GM's personnel moves. It wouldn't be surprising if RR disagreed with some of the GM's moves but in general they were in accord on most of the moves.

The hiring of Rex Ryan made no sense to me. It's still very early in his tenure but he is living up to/down to his prior record with his former team. It is a fact that Doug Marrone's team dramatically outperformed Rex's team when they competed against one another. The longer Rex was with the Jets the worse his team performed. I find that ominous for someone who was given a five year contract.

Rex himself has spoken of the disconnect, and the realization he was gone well before he was.

But i cant defend against your point nor should I.

So lets consider The Pegulas, Brandon Whaley and all the others that may have had an opinion on this hire.

I cannot believe as some do. That Ryan bull **** his way into the position. Too many checks in place?

Or was it really a marketing move? If so its was a rather expensive, and financially unsound move.

Sure, the jets fell apart. I agree about that.

I used to say that I want to watch the Bill in the SB with my dad 1 more time before he dies.

Now I am being realistic and saying I just want to watch a playoff game with him

CBF

Dont worry it will happen. I hope your dads heer to watch it with you...if not ill come by.

I had a long post written out but it comes down to this: we're stuck in an average rut, just spinning our wheels and throwing dirt everywhere. It's getting us nowhere. There are teams who, due to smart drafting, not going nuts with FAs, and a bit of luck when it comes to injuries, look at 7-9 or 8-8 as a down year. That's our peak for these past 15 years.

We need to stop bringing in free agents who help us maintain a .500 record. We need to allow the natural ebb and flow of the game to bottom us out at 2-14 or 3-13 so that we can build a winner.

While I'm at it, is it just me, or is it because I really don't pay as much attention to other teams, but does it seem like we're always battling the injury bug when other teams maybe only get bit once a decade?

There are all kinds of embarrassing records/moments in sports:

The previously winless 0-18 Sixers...

The winless Detroit Lions of 2008...

The 1993-94 Dallas Mavericks debacle..

Four straight Super Bowl losses (I don't consider this an "embarrassment,by the way, but fans outside of the Bills do)...

But when you stand back and look at the last 15 year's of this playoff drought, it's quite astounding that one professional sports team, especially in this day-in-age of salary caps/free agency etc., can miss on as many things as they've missed on in this span...

Nobody expected the team to win in 2001, as the Bills at that point were dubbed as being in "salary cap hell", and we went 3-13.

But the following year, things seemed on the up and up with the drafting of rookie sensation Mike Williams out if Texas and the acquisition of Drew Bledsoe from the Patriots. I'm sure nobody realistically expected playoffs in 2002, but the Bills did finish at a respectable 8-8, a 5 win swing from the disastrous year before. And the offense was transforming into pure dynamite!

2003 had to be "their year", right?!..The Bills, fresh of an outstanding 2002 offensively, added crucial parts to solidify their defense. Acquiring standout linebacker Takeo Spikes from the Bengals, and even scooping up VERY recently released Safety Lawyer Milloy from the Patriots, just six days before the home opener! The Bills unleashed an embarrassing 31-0 thrashing of the defending Super Bowl champions. However, the week 17 matchup between the divisional rivals, although ending eerily with the same score, would find the Bills at the opposite end of that score. Even though the Bills started like a house of fire in 2003, injuries, inexcusable losses to less talented opponents would catch up with them throughout the year, as the Bills and Pats would head in opposite directions after week 1. The Bills finishing 6-10...the Pats winning a second consecutive Super Bowl.

The 2004 campaign began with the hire of offensive guru Mike Mularkey as the Bills new Head Coach. This was supposed to be the spark that put Bledsoe and co. over the hump. Instead, the Bills started 2-5. But a late season surge put the Bills in prime position to get into the postseason. At 9-6, the Bills simply needed to get a victory over the Steelers at Ralph Wilson Stadium and they were in! In fact, Pittsburgh, with their postseason seed already established, played mostly their third stringers against the Bills.And the Bills we still caught flat footed!

2005 brought a year of a youth movement at the quarterback position. The Bills handed the reigns over to Tulane rookie JP Losman. And over the course of the next few years, even though showing glimpses of promise, the game overwhelmed Losman as well as new Head coach and alleged defensive guru, Dick Jauron. 7-9 was seemingly the expectation of the team until 2009 arrived...when the Bills signed a man who was the polar opposite to not only the image of its franchise, but it's fans and city. But at this point, all of the above were willing to do whatever it took to end the playoff drought.

Along he came..he had left America's Team for "North America's Team" (whatever the hell that meant). But T.O. was never enough alone to get the Bills in serious contention in his short tenure, and would move on to Cincinnati.

In 2011, the Bills would race out to a 3-0 start under yet another new Head coach, Chan Gailey. This was even the year the Bills would end the losing streak to the hated Patriots, overcoming a 21-0 deficit at the Ralph, only to see players drop like flies yet again throughout the year, and another 6-10 season.

Gailey would be fired after the 2012 season, and Doug Marrone would take the reigns. But Marrones teams would fair only mildly better. Average quarterback play from rookie EJ Manuel and journeyman backup Kyle Orton did give the Bills a 9-7 2014 record. However, inexcusable losses to the Oakland Raiders and other sub par opponents proved the Bills weren't ready for the postseason.

So, here we are. 2015...and the Bills bring aboard the infamous Rex Ryan. A an who not only came from the rival New York Jets, but led them to two consecutive AFC Championship game appearances in the process. Although Ryan's departure from the Jets was awkward, resentful and much publicized, the Bills needed a new attitude! They needed someone to give this defense, that although they led the NFL in sacks in 2014, that extra push to perhaps shoulder the load that a new offense learning a new system under Greg Roman couldn't provide this year. They needed someone to push this defense to become...a bully. To become "the greatest defense of all time".

Instead, we sit at 5-6. W seemingly have a coach who has no urgency to beat opponents outside of New Jersey and Foxboro, MA.

We have a defense that makes Spencer Ware look like Christian Okoye back in the '90s.

We have a quarterback who, although athletically talented, looks lost in his reads every single time he drops back to pass.

We have an all world receiver, who's offensive coordinator goes away from him inexplicably after having 100+ yards in one half.

We have a team that loses games it should win. (See the Jaguars game in London, see last week after racing to a 10-0 lead in KC).

How can a franchise miss on things for this long?! When will this nightmare end for us?!!!...

Pretty good summary of the last 15 going on 16 years. When will this end? Not sure, but I am willing to give Rex Ryan another year to turn this thing around with the guys we have, otherwise it will be time to move on again.

I may be off topic. and i am rarely objective.

But i am thinking more and more. Ryan has a method. Right or wrong , it takes more than one season to implement it.

But as mentioned, odds wise its gotta happen soon. Getting on track for a solid long term run. And I dont want to miss it !

Man, some of the excuses I've read here over the years. :doh:

Now its going to take years for Rex Ryan to implement his defensive scheme? What? Rex Ryan was handed the keys to the #4 overall defense, and they are currently 20th. He took over the NUMBER ONE team in the NFL in sacks, and they are now 30th!!! This when the Bills added the probable defensive rookie of the year in Ron Darby?

The guy is the very same loud mouthed bum that I was laughing at last year when Marrone / Schwartz beat the NY Jets 43-23. Then just before the second game he stated his Jets team would play 1000% better in the next game against Buffalo, and was blown out 38-3. His team went 4-12 last year, and he blamed it all on the GM, and QB. Ryan looked lost on the sidelines in NY, and now he is here in Buffalo. :bag:

I have to believe Rex Ryan was promoted by Doug Whaley, and Russ Brandon in hopes that he would install his "Mike Pettine" style of defense who was his DC when that Jets defense was #1 in the league.

That clearly hasn't happened and for some reason Ryan has abandoned his overload blitz scheme he used with Pettine, and is now running some lame cover scheme that gives the opposing QB's all day to throw.

How in the world do you go from first to thirtieth in sacks, and not have to answer for that? :blink: BTW Pettine had the Bills #2 in the NFL in sacks in 2013.

Man, some of the excuses I've read here over the years. :doh:

Now its going to take years for Rex Ryan to implement his defensive scheme? What? Rex Ryan was handed the keys to the #4 overall defense, and they are currently 20th. He took over the NUMBER ONE team in the NFL in sacks, and they are now 30th!!! This when the Bills added the probable defensive rookie of the year in Ron Darby?

The guy is the very same loud mouthed bum that I was laughing at last year when Marrone / Schwartz beat the NY Jets 43-23. Then just before the second game he stated his Jets team would play 1000% better in the next game against Buffalo, and was blown out 38-3. His team went 4-12 last year, and he blamed it all on the GM, and QB. Ryan looked lost on the sidelines in NY, and now he is here in Buffalo. :bag:

I am not defending him so much as considering the situation.

I have to believe Rex Ryan was promoted by Doug Whaley, and Russ Brandon in hopes that he would install his "Mike Pettine" style of defense who was his DC when that Jets defense was #1 in the league.

That clearly hasn't happened and for some reason Ryan has abandoned his overload blitz scheme he used with Pettine, and is now running some lame cover scheme that gives the opposing QB's all day to throw.

How in the world do you go from first to thirtieth in sacks, and not have to answer for that? :blink: BTW Pettine had the Bills #2 in the NFL in sacks in 2013.

Because winning football games does not directly correlate to sack totals.

Turnovers do though.

Listen to the record (youtube posted by BuffanAtl post #64) that Rex accumulated with the Jets and going against Marrone. His dismal record speaks for itself. If his six year record as a HC isn't enough of a context for you then I don't know what it could be.

The Bills defense under Petine and Schwartz were superb. Under Rex with much of the same personnel it is mediocre. That should be enough context to make a reasonable judgment.

I do not think the Bills' D under Pettine was superb at anything but sacks. Frustrating D in many ways.

Edited by NickelCity