NFL finally holding refs accountable?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ProFootballTalk: Per source, the NFL has pulled Pete Morelli's crew from next Monday's Dallas-Washington game due to errors in the Cardinals-49ers game.

Wait til the next announcement:

"Morelli's crew assigned to Texans Bills game"

Big deal, pulled from Monday night. They weren't pulled because the league is punishing them, they were pulled to avoid the negative publicity that would come during the telecast. Better to put them on some inconsequential regional game.

I said a few weeks ago, half jokingly, that maybe the refs were screwing up on purpose in an effort to get full time positions with the league. With each passing week I am wondering if the joke is on me.

I don't think it matters which crew you get, it seems every game I watch there are egregious errors on a level I've never witnessed in 40+ years of watching the NFL. It's unfathomable with the technology at their avail things have sunk to this level. I believe the NFL has hired IRS tax code writers to write the rule book.

@ProFootballTalk: Per source, the NFL has pulled Pete Morelli's crew from next Monday's Dallas-Washington game due to errors in the Cardinals-49ers game.

So pull the incompetent refs out of a national broadcast that the entire country watches to a regional broadcast where they can screw up the game to a fraction of viewers.

That is not holding refs accountable at all, it is the National Football League trying to make themselves look better to a larger viewership while nothing is done with the problem itself - incompetent NFL referees.

The NFL is becoming a joke.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

So pull the incompetent refs out of a national broadcast that the entire country watches to a regional broadcast where they can screw up the game to a fraction of viewers.

That is not holding refs accountable at all, it is the National Football League trying to make themselves look better to a larger viewership while nothing is done with the problem itself - incompetent NFL referees.

The NFL is becoming a joke.

That's the Catholic Church model of reassigning pedophile priests.

Big deal, pulled from Monday night. They weren't pulled because the league is punishing them, they were pulled to avoid the negative publicity that would come during the telecast. Better to put them on some inconsequential regional game.

I said a few weeks ago, half jokingly, that maybe the refs were screwing up on purpose in an effort to get full time positions with the league. With each passing week I am wondering if the joke is on me.

I don't think they want full time positions. They have a sweet gig going here. Part-time work with great pay and almost no accountability.

I've been thinking about this. Not sure my plan works with part time refs. But I think there should be a base salary along with a "bonus":

Each ref starts with 100k in their bonus at the start of the season.

With each poor call, money is subtracted. So if there is a terrible call that is completely unfounded, said ref is withheld 20k at the end of the year.

Each call is weighted depending on severity of the call and impact on the game.

The rules are so blurred this year. Offensive PI calls are made on one play, then missed on the next 5. Catches are a joke really. The number of missed calls in the 3 games I watched on Sunday was unbelievable. What happened to the system? It's never been, and cannot ever be, perfect, but it's been far, far better than this.

Ooh the Pats get them

@mortreport: Walt Anderson assigned MNF game before Sunday's games were ever played. Referee Pete Morelli gets Pats-Eagles in 4:25 prime window Sunday.

It wasn't MNF after all, it was SNF

@ProFootballTalk: Updated: 49ers-Cardinals blunders get Pete Morelli's crew yanked from the Sunday night Colts-Steelers game https://t.co/gCM49k4CQa

Ref's are human and will make mistakes (missed or phantom calls) they have too many decisions to make; too many unclear rules to interpret in milliseconds. The root cause is the rule book. No one knows what a catch is anymore. The competition committee is who is ultimately responsible for vetting & proposing the rule changes. I'm still unsure as to why Jeff Fisher runs the committee; since he is the epitome of an average at best coach. A couple good years, and the rest - meh.

The committee tries to hard to fix everything that is a bad call and makes the rules even more vague.Best thing they can do is roll back the past 10 years worth of changes and put in the NHL style replay. I miss knowing what a catch is...