Positional Needs, November

Astrobot

I'd love to hear from Bills fans about team needs. I fill in the Bills needs for DraftTek, used in their weekly mocks, and here's my thinking so far:

1=top priority, 9=no need)

QB=1. Yes, I'm a Tyrod Taylor guy, but when Tyrod went out, we (EJ) made stupid errors. He may not be fixable. There is a lot of QBs in the draft that fit Roman's scheme, especially if we see some Jr's declare.

RB=4. MCCoy and Karlos are playing lights out, but I'd think they'd like depth behind McCoy's role--the "Lightning" part of Karlos's thunder. This would be a late-round guy. Like Karlos in the 5th.

WR=2. Harvin's as good as gone, Woods hasn't shown it, we still don't have a #2 WR--the high-pointing, tall, feature WRF (maybe it's Dez Lewis), and the Harvin role. These guys are listed as WRS in DraftTek.

TE=2. We brought Clay in, and Gragg's serviceable, and Mulligan gets a mulligan. Marqueis Gray could return from IR whole and fast, which would reduce the need here.

OT=2. We're playing with one hand tied behind our backs at RT. Draft a tackle early. There is a lot of good ones in RD1-2 this year.

OG=4. Whaley hit the mother lode in Miller and Incognito (who's a FA). We need an OGOT like 8th-oldest player Urbik, so watch for OG Day 2, like TEOFILO ARIZONA STATE or MORRIS OLE MISS.

OC=3. Wood is good technique-wise, but he's 29, has the 8th-biggest contract, and Whaley will be planning for the future. I see Wood's successor as a midround pick like Dan Voltz or Jack Allen.

K=9. Our kickers are fine. Carpenter's not having his best year, but you're not likely drafting one this year.

DE=2. Almost my #1 because Mario Williams is our most-expensive, 9th-oldest, cap drain. Yes, he's good, but you are paying $19M for it. Bills will spend $43,575,000 on D-Line next year if something isn't done.

DT=2. Kyle Williams' injury will keep him out of 3 games. He and Incognito are tied for oldest on the team. He's a leader, he has mileage left, but that described FJax. Watch the Bills get younger on DL in 2016.

LB=2. We likely need backups for Bradham (a FA), Lawson, and Brown. I like Tarpley, Johnson, Powell (a FA), and Steward, but we need two more in the pipeline even if (or when) Bradham is re-signed.

S=6. Recent performances of our backfield are reducing this need weekly. Rambo was Player of the Game vs Jets, but Duke Williams, Corey Graham, and even McKelvin at S minimize the need.

CB=6. Bills and Seahawks have the best CB duos in the NFL. Whaley says he'll draft one every year, but he has good backups now in McKelvin and 6'1" Free Agent Mario Butler. Brooks is also FA.

P=9. Again, you aren't drafting one. Schmidt was on a cruise to the Pro Bowl before his muffed punt in the Jets game.

I'd love to hear from Bills fans about team needs. I fill in the Bills needs for DraftTek, used in their weekly mocks, and here's my thinking so far:

1=top priority, 9=no need)

QB=1. Yes, I'm a Tyrod Taylor guy, but when Tyrod went out, we (EJ) made stupid errors. He may not be fixable. There is a lot of QBs in the draft that fit Roman's scheme, especially if we see some Jr's declare.

RB=4. MCCoy and Karlos are playing lights out, but I'd think they'd like depth behind McCoy's role--the "Lightning" part of Karlos's thunder. This would be a late-round guy. Like Karlos in the 5th.

WR=2. Harvin's as good as gone, Woods hasn't shown it, we still don't have a #2 WR--the high-pointing, tall, feature WRF (maybe it's Dez Lewis), and the Harvin role. These guys are listed as WRS in DraftTek.

TE=2. We brought Clay in, and Gragg's serviceable, and Mulligan gets a mulligan. Marqueis Gray could return from IR whole and fast, which would reduce the need here.

OT=2. We're playing with one hand tied behind our backs at RT. Draft a tackle early. There is a lot of good ones in RD1-2 this year.

OG=4. Whaley hit the mother lode in Miller and Incognito (who's a FA). We need an OGOT like 8th-oldest player Urbik, so watch for OG Day 2, like TEOFILO ARIZONA STATE or MORRIS OLE MISS.

OC=3. Wood is good technique-wise, but he's 29, has the 8th-biggest contract, and Whaley will be planning for the future. I see Wood's successor as a midround pick like Dan Voltz or Jack Allen.

K=9. Our kickers are fine. Carpenter's not having his best year, but you're not likely drafting one this year.

DE=2. Almost my #1 because Mario Williams is our most-expensive, 9th-oldest, cap drain. Yes, he's good, but you are paying $19M for it. Bills will spend $43,575,000 on D-Line next year if something isn't done.

DT=2. Kyle Williams' injury will keep him out of 3 games. He and Incognito are tied for oldest on the team. He's a leader, he has mileage left, but that described FJax. Watch the Bills get younger on DL in 2016.

LB=2. We likely need backups for Bradham (a FA), Lawson, and Brown. I like Tarpley, Johnson, Powell (a FA), and Steward, but we need two more in the pipeline even if (or when) Bradham is re-signed.

S=6. Recent performances of our backfield are reducing this need weekly. Rambo was Player of the Game vs Jets, but Duke Williams, Corey Graham, and even McKelvin at S minimize the need.

CB=6. Bills and Seahawks have the best CB duos in the NFL. Whaley says he'll draft one every year, but he has good backups now in McKelvin and 6'1" Free Agent Mario Butler. Brooks is also FA.

P=9. Again, you aren't drafting one. Schmidt was on a cruise to the Pro Bowl before his muffed punt in the Jets game.

EJ was still a "rookie" during the Jax game wasn't he? ;-)

DT is a must. Chances are (imo) Kyle is gone. If Marcel gets hurt, then what?

Kyle won't be cut. I really don't see that happening even though I get the argument for it. Wasn't it just this off season that Whaley was saying he wants Mario and Kyle to retire as Bills? I know that kind of talk doesn't mean anything in reality, but I'll be surprised if Kyle is released.

Kyle won't be cut. I really don't see that happening even though I get the argument for it. Wasn't it just this off season that Whaley was saying he wants Mario and Kyle to retire as Bills? I know that kind of talk doesn't mean anything in reality, but I'll be surprised if Kyle is released.

Wasn't Freddy part of that statement?

OT is a 1 for me. We have one OT on the roster who is definitely NFL starter calibre and he is an impending FA. The other two guys are still ?s half way through their 2nd year.

I do think safety is reducing.... but I wouldn't go down to 6 yet... I certainly don't see RB as a bigger need than S for example.

What do you think of Braxton Miller - could replace the Harvin role? He's big, crazy skill set, and very natural WR skills, esp. for only playing 2 months at the position. Can line up in a Randall Cobb type role?

Wasn't Freddy part of that statement?

no. Just Mario and Kyle. Edited by YoloinOhio

QB - identify the one you like and draft him, develop him as the back-up to Tyrod.

OL - Urbik isn't getting any better or cheaper. Will we re-sign Glenn? Cujo and Henderson are average at best, could use some improvements here.

LB - I like Lawson and the injured Wynn, Randal Johnson is still green, bring more competition for that edge LB

TE - Mulligan is just a blocker and he's average at that. Gragg and the son of the legend are upgradable.
WR - do the coaches like Woods? I don't sense a good vibe there, could be wrong. Hogan is average, good ST though. Goodwin can't stay healthy.

But as always with the draft, go with the best player available.

OL, DE, QB, WR, and LB are our biggest needs, imo.

We should look to move on from Mario's contract, either through major restructuring or possibly a trade, but either way his value is not matching with his contract in Rex's scheme. Hughes and Dareus are the stud anchors of the D-Line, and I do think in terms of production Mario and Kyle are replaceable. Obviously Kyle is still very productive and brings leadership, and he's also cheaper, but he's probably only got 1 year left as a starter.

I have more confidence in Tyrod at QB than I've had in anyone since Flutie tbh, but they should draft a QB every other year until they've got a franchise guy.

OL should be taken every draft within the first 3 rounds. It's crazy how few LTs we've drafted since 2000.

WR is not settled until Sammy is able to show consistent production. Generally that does happen around year 3 for receivers but I think they still want a tall target.

Preston Brown looked great last year but less so in 2015 and Nigel is frustratingly inconsistent. The difference between the Bills D being good and elite will be a playmaking LB.

Edited by LA Grant