Positional Needs, November

Astrobot

Losing Jarius Wynn is bigger than people think. When healthy he was a great rotational end. Is he on a one or two year deal?

t3/12/2015: Signed a two-year, $2.2 million contract. 2016: $1 million, 2017: Free Agent

What do you think of Braxton Miller - could replace the Harvin role? He's big, crazy skill set, and very natural WR skills, esp. for only playing 2 months at the position. Can line up in a Randall Cobb type role?

no. Just Mario and Kyle.

Whaley has a history of looking at skill set over position played. So yes. This also could be a FA acquisition.

Astrobot, that's a lot of draft picks. Just kidding.

1st QB (back up and developmental project behind TT)

2nd TE (I'd love to see a real athletic TE to compliment Clay)

3rd WR (a larger target opposite Watkins and Woods)

4th S (we need depth behind Aaron Williams and Corey Graham)

5th G (Incognito will be 33 so someone to develop behind him)

6th BPA (with one of these picks hopefully there is a more talented guy who falls due to a character issue like Henderson)

7th BPA

BTW- I don't see us doing very much at all in free agency as we won't have the money if we resign some of our talent who are eligible for new contracts (Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, Incognito)

If the Bills do not re-sign Glenn and Richie , major problem for OL.

Glenn deserves good money but not top money. Do you think he will like that? He will try to get the most and so far, the Bills (since Buddy Nix) have been very good assesing who should get paid big money and who shouldn't. I hope Glenn is realistic about it.

We should re-sign Incognito ASAP maybe a short contract too.

1 - Top OL prospect; Incognito is playing well, but older, the Tackles are uncertain, and we could improve at Center

2 - QB: If there is a good longterm QB prospect, get him! You can never have enough depth here

3 - LB, need depth, maybe upgrade a starter—but hard to get that kind of upgrade in the 3rd round

4 - WR, as we have seen this year, still a positional work in progress and in need, a big and fast target would certainly help

5 - DL: Mario and Kyle are getting worn, time to start the slow rebuild there

The rest: best players available :flirt:

Edited by CSBill

OL and LB. You can find a backup QB in FA or later rounds in the draft so not a high priority imo

You find a developmental QB in the draft and you don't know what round it'll be, the backup QB comes via FA.

For me the biggest needs are: LB (inside, outside, all sides) and OT/C.

Beerball, you're right, and this is I think just a wish list as I'd like a QB with a 1st or 2nd round grade, but still let him sit a couple of years and turn into a franchise QB. You basically have 4 years to develop him on a rookie QB and that would mean TT has 10 years in the league.

The worst thing that happens if TT is amazing over the next 5 years is to trade him as there is always a desperate team willing to give away a 1st for a QB people think is awesome.

Astrobot, that's a lot of draft picks. Just kidding.

1st QB (back up and developmental project behind TT)

2nd TE (I'd love to see a real athletic TE to compliment Clay)

3rd WR (a larger target opposite Watkins and Woods)

4th S (we need depth behind Aaron Williams and Corey Graham)

5th G (Incognito will be 33 so someone to develop behind him)

6th BPA (with one of these picks hopefully there is a more talented guy who falls due to a character issue like Henderson)

7th BPA

BTW- I don't see us doing very much at all in free agency as we won't have the money if we resign some of our talent who are eligible for new contracts (Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, Incognito)

Michael Thomas may not be there in the 3rd but he's 6'3 and NFL ready. He's a very polished prospect. Not a "burner" but elite ball skills and footwork. The Buckeyes don't throw the ball much so his numbers won't jump out but he's very impressive. He is Keyshawn's nephew. Edited by YoloinOhio

Michael Thomas may not be there in the 3rd but he's 6'3 and NFL ready. He's a very polished prospect. Not burner but elite ball skills and footwork.

Its time for the Bills to get that big body on the field.

Open even when not open or some Nixism like that : )

Michael Thomas may not be there in the 3rd but he's 6'3 and NFL ready. He's a very polished prospect. Not a "burner" but elite ball skills and footwork. The Buckeyes don't throw the ball much so his numbers won't jump out but he's very impressive. He is Keyshawn's nephew.

I'll keep an eye on him as he has been fun to watch when I've seen Ohio games.

I'd love to hear from Bills fans about team needs. I fill in the Bills needs for DraftTek, used in their weekly mocks, and here's my thinking so far:

1=top priority, 9=no need)

QB=1. Yes, I'm a Tyrod Taylor guy, but when Tyrod went out, we (EJ) made stupid errors. He may not be fixable. There is a lot of QBs in the draft that fit Roman's scheme, especially if we see some Jr's declare.

RB=4. MCCoy and Karlos are playing lights out, but I'd think they'd like depth behind McCoy's role--the "Lightning" part of Karlos's thunder. This would be a late-round guy. Like Karlos in the 5th.

WR=2. Harvin's as good as gone, Woods hasn't shown it, we still don't have a #2 WR--the high-pointing, tall, feature WRF (maybe it's Dez Lewis), and the Harvin role. These guys are listed as WRS in DraftTek.

TE=2. We brought Clay in, and Gragg's serviceable, and Mulligan gets a mulligan. Marqueis Gray could return from IR whole and fast, which would reduce the need here.

OT=2. We're playing with one hand tied behind our backs at RT. Draft a tackle early. There is a lot of good ones in RD1-2 this year.

OG=4. Whaley hit the mother lode in Miller and Incognito (who's a FA). We need an OGOT like 8th-oldest player Urbik, so watch for OG Day 2, like TEOFILO ARIZONA STATE or MORRIS OLE MISS.

OC=3. Wood is good technique-wise, but he's 29, has the 8th-biggest contract, and Whaley will be planning for the future. I see Wood's successor as a midround pick like Dan Voltz or Jack Allen.

K=9. Our kickers are fine. Carpenter's not having his best year, but you're not likely drafting one this year.

DE=2. Almost my #1 because Mario Williams is our most-expensive, 9th-oldest, cap drain. Yes, he's good, but you are paying $19M for it. Bills will spend $43,575,000 on D-Line next year if something isn't done.

DT=2. Kyle Williams' injury will keep him out of 3 games. He and Incognito are tied for oldest on the team. He's a leader, he has mileage left, but that described FJax. Watch the Bills get younger on DL in 2016.

LB=2. We likely need backups for Bradham (a FA), Lawson, and Brown. I like Tarpley, Johnson, Powell (a FA), and Steward, but we need two more in the pipeline even if (or when) Bradham is re-signed.

S=6. Recent performances of our backfield are reducing this need weekly. Rambo was Player of the Game vs Jets, but Duke Williams, Corey Graham, and even McKelvin at S minimize the need.

CB=6. Bills and Seahawks have the best CB duos in the NFL. Whaley says he'll draft one every year, but he has good backups now in McKelvin and 6'1" Free Agent Mario Butler. Brooks is also FA.

P=9. Again, you aren't drafting one. Schmidt was on a cruise to the Pro Bowl before his muffed punt in the Jets game.

Priority 1 - OLB/DE/ Joker Terrell Suggs kind of pass rusher. Hughes is that type of guy.. but Mario is not a good fit for that role. If we get a good one who can start right way.. maybe we kick Mario inside or trade or cut him to save cap space.

Priority 2 - LT - I'm pretty sure they are not going to pay Cordy Glenn.. and I'm not comfortable putting Kujo or Henderson on the left side as a starter

3 - ILB - Bradham has slipped this year and Rex' scheme calls for a stable of stud/versatile linebackers. If Bradham asks for a big contract I would say " see ya" and draft his replacement

4 - Blocking TE - Mulligan is a disaster...

5 - CB.. can never have enough CBs.. McKelvin and Graham are getting old

6- Safety - McKelvin and Graham are getting old ( yes .. repeat..they are hybrids in my mind) and who knows if Aaron Williams will play again with his neck issue

7 - Center - Wood has played better this year but he is getting older..