We have seen this story of Fitz play out before...

Big Turk

Jets started 4-1 as Fitz looks good and makes some plays. Then teams realize all you have to do is load the box and dare him to beat you over the top. He can't do it. This is looking like the year we started 5-2 beating NE but then went 1-8 to finish 6-10 for Fitz.

Jets have lost 3 of the last 4. Won't be surprised if the Jets don't make it to .500. Once the book is out on Fitz, he has a lot of problems moving the ball consistently. In face yesterday was exactly what happens normally. One good drive early in the game,he does nothing for much of the middle usually leading to his team falling behind by 2+ possessions, then starts gunslinging to get his team back as the D loosens up a little late in the 3rd and into the 4th quarters, the D holds to give him one last chance and then he throws an INT on the first or second play. We've seen it play out over and over again here, I watched it a few times in Tennessee and it happened last year in Houston.

My money is on the Jets finishing 7-9. When teams have no fear of you beating them over the top there is only so many ways to trick them. Once they figure it out, the offense starts sputtering.

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets started 4-1 as Fitz looks good and makes some plays. Then teams realize all you have to do is load the box and date him to beat you over the top. He can't do it. This is looking like the year we started 5-2 beating NE but then went 1-8 to finish 6-10 for Fits.

Jets have lost 3 of the last 4. Won't be surprised if the Jets don't make it to .500. Once the book is out on Fitz, he has a lot of problems moving the ball consistently. In face yesterday was exactly what happens normally. One good drive early in the game,he does nothing for much of the middle usually leading to his team falling behind by 2+ possessions, then starts gunslinging to get his team back as the D loosens up a little late in the 3rd and into the 4th quarters, the D holds to give him one last chance and then he throws an INT on the first or second play. We've seen it play out over and over again here, I watched it a few times in Tennessee and it happened last year in Houston.

My money is on the Jets finishing 7-9. When teams have no fear of you beating them over the top there is only so many ways to trick them. Once they figure it out, the offense starts sputtering.

Their offense looked pretty bad yesterday. Fitz missed a lot of big throws, but his receivers also dropped a few key plays, as well. Their defense is great. That will win them some games, especially in the late season grind. I expect them to be around 8-8, 9-7. That 9-7 could be good enough for a wild card. We have to step it up and make ourselves the team that gets in at 9-7.

Jets started 4-1 as Fitz looks good and makes some plays. Then teams realize all you have to do is load the box and date him to beat you over the top. He can't do it. This is looking like the year we started 5-2 beating NE but then went 1-8 to finish 6-10 for Fits.

7-9 would be great - miss playoffs and miss out on a QB in the draft. :devil:

We've also seen this play out before where Gailey has a maddening reliance on Fitz in key situations when it seemingly would make more sense to run the ball especially since it was working...ie throwing 2 straight passes on 3rd and 2 from inside the 10 yard line when the Jets were trying to take the lead.

I think it's a little more complicated than that.

Fitz had a career best year last year for the Texans, a run-first team headlined by Arian Foster, a guy who made turn-nothing-into-4-yds into an art form.

The Jets started out running the ball effectively with Chris Ivory. Ivory actually had a pretty good game against us, but the previous 3 games the Jets rushing game sucked, sucked, SUCKED - 89, 74, and 29 rushing yards? 29 rushing yards? Against Jax? Seriously?

Fitz is on pace for 3500 yds passing. That's too much for Fitz, and reminiscent of his days with the Bills under Gailey. With Hou, he passed for <2500 in the season and it made him a better QB. You are right on that if you put the game on Fitz arm to come from behind, that's almost always an "L". Fitz knows that. Gailey knows that. Each opponent probably knows that so.....

I expect if we were asking Taylor to throw that much, we might be just as unhappy with the result, but that's just a hunch.

We've also seen this play out before where Gailey has a maddening reliance on Fitz in key situations when it seemingly would make more sense to run the ball especially since it was working...ie throwing 2 straight passes on 3rd and 2 from inside the 10 yard line when the Jets were trying to take the lead.

This, exactly.

Edited by Hopeful

I think it's a little more complicated than that.

Fitz had a career best year last year for the Texans, a run-first team headlined by Arian Foster, a guy who made turn-nothing-into-4-yds into an art form.

The Jets started out running the ball effectively with Chris Ivory. Ivory actually had a pretty good game against us, but the previous 3 games the Jets rushing game sucked, sucked, SUCKED - 89, 74, and 29 rushing yards? 29 rushing yards? Against Jax? Seriously?

Fitz is on pace for 3500 yds passing. That's too much for Fitz, and reminiscent of his days with the Bills under Gailey. With Hou, he passed for <2500 in the season and it made him a better QB. You are right on that if you put the game on Fitz arm to come from behind, that's almost always an "L". Fitz knows that. Gailey knows that. Each opponent probably knows that so.....

I expect if we were asking Taylor to throw that much, we might be just as unhappy with the result, but that's just a hunch.

This, exactly.

Maybe a little, but not much...yeah Houston played above their talent level last year for sure, but they also were in a division with Jacksonville and Tennessee---2 of the worst teams in the NFL they got to play 4 times.

The difference between Fitz and Taylor is that Taylor is very careful with the ball and rarely throws INT's. The only game where Taylor has had under a 91.3 QB rating this year was the Giants game where he would have been above that if the TD to Clay he threw wasn't called back...

Edited by matter2003

As much as I'd like to say the D did it all themselves last night Fitz helped quite a bit with his erratic throws. He missed anything over 10 yards consistently and often times didn't even give his target a chance at making a play.

He did make plays down the stretch to get them back in the game. That 4th down dime he threw to Decker was spectacular. But he threw a duck with the game on the line at the end. Even if the guy doesn't get tangled up with Decker coming off the LoS Fitz didn't throw the ball far enough outside for him to have a good shot at it.

As much as I'd like to say the D did it all themselves last night Fitz helped quite a bit with his erratic throws. He missed anything over 10 yards consistently and often times didn't even give his target a chance at making a play.

He did make plays down the stretch to get them back in the game. That 4th down dime he threw to Decker was spectacular. But he threw a duck with the game on the line at the end. Even if the guy doesn't get tangled up with Decker coming off the LoS Fitz didn't throw the ball far enough outside for him to have a good shot at it.

My most interesting observation was - we all know he can't throw deep left, never has, never will. His QB coach who broke him down throw by throw is on the bills now and knows this.

Was Chan gambling he'd hit one, outsmart Buf by taking 3 consecutive deep left shots on the opening series? ( which were all poorly throw erratic floaters)

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Isn't that what we saw for 3 years tho?

How many times did we have a WR wide open running deep and the ball ends up 5 yards underthrown for a INT? More than I can count.

The interesting thing last night for the Jets going forward this season was how the Bills ran on them. I have to believe that a few teams who have been reluctant to do so before now will look at what Buffalo did and commit to running, especially those draw plays that take advantage of the blitz.

When you add that to Fitz's limitations then 8-8 wouldn't surprise me. However, 9-7 is possible. If they get to 9-7 we must make sure 2 of the 7 are against us because that could well decide a wildcard spot.

Edited by GunnerBill

To be fair, the Jets receivers let him down in a big way: a lot of drops, some bad route running, and their top 2 got beat all day by Darby and Gilmore. Their best luck waa picking on Darby in the middle of the field against backup safeties.

But Fitz did plenty to hurt himself, like calling that pass behind the line of scrimmage vs Darby, and making a number of risky throws, two of which went for interceptions.

The Jets schedule gets a lot tougher as they prepare to face us again I'm the finale. I really think it might come down to that game for one or both teams.