Ryan's teams, 2-17 after a win...

I read this a few days ago, and just looked it up to confirm it: Rex Ryan's teams are 2-17 after a win in the last 19 games.

Ouch. No matter the quality of the teams, that seems to be a pattern.

I think he gets so excited, like a kid, after a win, that he (and, so his teams) are not focused enough the following week.

And that is how this season has felt, a convincing win, followed by a big loss, games in which the Bills were, for the most part, dominated, not even in the game. It has shocked us because we see that potential, and then, POW, the Bills, and their fans, get knocked out.

I am excited for tonight, looking forward to a big Bills win, and hoping Rex can overcome this trend.

But, pretty powerful stat there when you also look at this season to date.

If this happens again tonight, well, I am thinking that the Bills should begin to think of cutting their (yes, significant) losses and about moving on next year.

And something like making Enemkpali a captain may shed some light on the 2-17 record; in this case, giving a good team, playing at home, and on a Thursday night, even more motivation. Rex is undisciplined, like the Bills are now.

People on ESPN love talking about that statistic all the time. It means almost nothing. It gives us no information or extra analysis other than that's the way it is. Just like stats on teams not playing well on Thursday night football or losing prime time games, its garbage. I think the reason why he loses after a win is more related to his .500 coaching record rather than "he gets excited like a kid." Honestly, I don't even know why I responded, this guy is clearly trolling or I hope he is for his sake, a lock him up baby

People on ESPN love talking about that statistic all the time. It means almost nothing. It gives us no information or extra analysis other than that's the way it is. Just like stats on teams not playing well on Thursday night football or losing prime time games, its garbage. I think the reason why he loses after a win is more related to his .500 coaching record rather than "he gets excited like a kid." Honestly, I don't even know why I responded, this guy is clearly trolling or I hope he is for his sake, a lock him up baby

Those stats cover his last three years in New York. That is a decent sized sample. I think the statistic may be relevant and may be telling--the Bills have a very talented team and it is happening here, this year. It does seem to fit with his demeanor this past week, as after a win he seems to not handle it well, like his players don't handle things like adults on the field this year, clearly, as they are on their way to a record number of penalties.

You never see a great coach do these things, give the other team ammo.

We shall see the tonight and the rest of the year. He does seem to let wins and success go to his head, as they make his bravado come out--not good for a head coach, not from what I have seen in my lifetime as an NFL fan. Kind of reminds me of 'Coach' Dickerson before the Redskins blew out the Bills in the Super Bowl; don't throw sh** it in your opponent's face. Playing a good NFL team is tough enough.

But, Bills 23, Jets 16.

Go Bills.

Edited by Mister Defense

I read this a few days ago, and just looked it up to confirm it: Rex Ryan's teams are 2-17 after a win in the last 19 games.

Ouch. No matter the quality of the teams, that seems to be a pattern.

I think he gets so excited, like a kid, after a win, that he (and, so his teams) are not focused enough the following week.

And that is how this season has felt, a convincing win, followed by a big loss, games in which the Bills were, for the most part, dominated, not even in the game. It has shocked us because we see that potential, and then, POW, the Bills, and their fans, get knocked out.

I am excited for tonight, looking forward to a big Bills win, and hoping Rex can overcome this trend.

But, pretty powerful stat there when you also look at this season to date.

If this happens again tonight, well, I am thinking that the Bills should begin to think of cutting their (yes, significant) losses and about moving on next year.

And something like making Enemkpali a captain may shed some light on the 2-17 record; in this case, giving a good team, playing at home, and on a Thursday night, even more motivation. Rex is undisciplined, like the Bills are now.

That 8-8 Jets team from 2013 was so bad talent wise, Ryan should have won coach of the year. That was a miraculous record with Geno Smith turning the ball over every other play as a rookie

Edited by matter2003

• 1 month later...

Now, with the season over, isn't this fact extremely telling when it comes to Ryan's coaching?

The Bills, a very talented team, won two games in a row ONE time this entire year--one time.

The game has passed him by, or he doesn't care very much, doesn't work like the great coaches do--whatever it is, he ain't the guy. He took a very talented team and undermined its potential.

The guy cannot win two games in a row, yet again, more than one time in a season, and with this team?

I know it may still be wishful thinking, but I really believe Ryan is one and done. I think that the Pegulas will see that they will waste considerably more money by getting rid of players and bringing in new ones than they will by firing Rex now and cutting their losses.

This staff cannot even get the basics right, so stand almost no chance of being successful in the league. Maybe for the first time ever I will not be disappointed if the Bills lose the last two, as this may all but assure a coaching change next year.

Now, with the season over, isn't this fact extremely telling when it comes to Ryan's coaching?

The Bills, a very talented team, won two games in a row ONE time this entire year--one time.

The game has passed him by, or he doesn't care very much, doesn't work like the great coaches do--whatever it is, he ain't the guy. He took a very talented team and undermined its potential.

The guy cannot win two games in a row, yet again, more than one time in a season, and with this team?

I know it may still be wishful thinking, but I really believe Ryan is one and done. I think that the Pegulas will see that they will waste considerably more money by getting rid of players and bringing in new ones than they will by firing Rex now and cutting their losses.

This staff cannot even get the basics right, so stand almost no chance of being successful in the league. Maybe for the first time ever I will not be disappointed if the Bills lose the last two, as this may all but assure a coaching change next year.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm torn. Cowboys and Jets are two of my least favorite teams, and I would normally be thrilled if the Bills beat either of them. This year, I think sending a message and improving draft position may turn out to be a better choice in the long run. I won't root for the Bills to lose, but I will think that every dark cloud has a silver lining if they do.

Which players will they be wasting money getting rid of? seems like they would be saving money by lopping off Mario and McKelvin contracts. Who else is part of this massive rebuild many keep talking about who we would be wasting money letting go? They save 13 mill in cap on Mario alone and his production can be replaced (upgraded?) with a rookie. I would personally like to sign a NT and safety in FA, draft a pass rusher to replace Mario and MLB to replace Bradham (will leave in FA), move Brown back to WLB, and focus the rest on the offense.

Also cut Duke Williams and Boobie Dixon for not being good. And maybe Graham if Aaron is ok.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Which players will they be wasting money getting rid of? seems like they would be saving money by lopping off Mario and McKelvin contracts. Who else is part of this massive rebuild many keep talking about who we would be wasting money letting go? They save 13 mill in cap on Mario alone and his production can be replaced (upgraded?) with a rookie. I would personally like to sign a NT and safety in FA, draft a pass rusher to replace Mario and MLB to replace Bradham (will leave in FA), move Brown back to WLB, and focus the rest on the offense.

Also cut Duke Williams and Boobie Dixon for not being good. And maybe Graham if Aaron is ok.

Graham has been an ok safety and can play nickel ok. I wouldn't look to ditch him unless something better comes along.

Top priority in the off season is to find exceptional talent at NT , MLB and Second WR.

In his last four years with the Jets their best year defensively in points allowed was 19th in 2013, and the Bills are 17th this year.

The Bills will be wasting money no matter who they bring in as Ryan has proven himself to be a poor defensive coach over the last five years. They will be spinning their wheels, in my view, with very little hope for success.

Signing bonuses and salaries for the kind of veteran, big time talent that most seem to indicate is needed to make this defense work will be wasted money, leading to more of the same mediocrity or worse. This was a loaded team defensively, and Ryan trashed it with his poor schemes, lack of commitment, and lack of discipline. Time to move on, clearly.

In his last four years with the Jets their best year defensively in points allowed was 19th in 2013, and the Bills are 17th this year.

The Bills will be wasting money no matter who they bring in as Ryan has proven himself to be a poor defensive coach over the last five years. They will be spinning their wheels, in my view, with very little hope for success.

Signing bonuses and salaries for the kind of veteran, big time talent that most seem to indicate is needed to make this defense work will be wasted money, leading to more of the same mediocrity or worse. This was a loaded team defensively, and Ryan trashed it with his poor schemes, lack of commitment, and lack of discipline. Time to move on, clearly.

i don't think they need veteran, big time talent to make it work. A couple mid tier FAs at key positions like NT and safety would be fine. The NT doesn't need to be elite - he's there to free up Dareus in the middle and play the scheme. And both together would cost half of Mario's cap hit. Even if they had the same scheme as last year it would make sense to move on from Mario and replace with a rookie pass rusher. It's time to move on from that contract - he's not the same player even when lined up 1:1 and just asked to get to the QB. The Bills had 50 QB hits this year (that was before the Skins game) which was on track to be more than each of the last 2 years. Why so many fewer sacks and pressures - they aren't getting home. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm not convinced that Mario's lack of production is reduction of skill, he turns what 31 next month? I think he's being a bit of child because of a scheme he'd rather not be a part of, and probably not liking Rex. I agree his current contract is a non-starter, but I'm not nearly as ready to give up on Mario as I am Rex. Now we rebuild/retool a defense to suit a coach that virtually no one would agree is bringing a prepared team each Sunday? I've never in all my life seen a coaching staff stand out so much, for all the wrong reasons.