The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

It's probably not a good thing to want to live off minimum wage.

That's a pathological lifestyle choice that won't work. But if that's honestly all you can do in life, then go for it... lots of luck with it...

There are about 25 pathological lifestyle choices that I see people making all the time, and they never want to call it a pathological lifestyle choice.

which are mine?

The illusion of diversity

Michael Smerconish interviews Vijay Jojo Chokalingam, a dark-skinned man of (Asian) Indian dissent who got admitted to medical school by pretending to be black. Despite carrying what he calls a pitiful 3.1 grade point average (and that is quite low given today’s grade inflation), he made the waiting list at two of the five most highly rated med schools in the country and was admitted to a school where the average GPA is 3.7.

Medical schools require interviews. You can’t just check a box. So Chokalingam shaved his head and trimmed his eyelashes to make sure he looked black, rather than Indian. He also applied as Jojo, rather than Vijay.

Chokalingam tells the story in his book, Almost Black.

In my view, race-based preferences are as much about the illusion of diversity as they are about diversity itself. Thus, it seems appropriate that this applicant, having created the illusion of being black, succeeded in the admissions process.

If Chokalingam had remained clean-shaven and eyelash trimmed throughout his time at med school (apparently, he dropped out at some point), I doubt the institution would have cared much what his race or ethnicity is.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/08/the-illusion-of-diversity.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+powerlineblog%2Flivefeed+%28Power+Line%29

To the people who brought you "everyone gets a trophy", we get a professor who gives everyone the grade they requested!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/08/health/students-choose-grades-stress-reduction-trnd/index.html

"If you feel unduly stressed by a grade for any assessable material or the overall course, you can email the instructor indicating what grade you think is appropriate and it will be so changed," the policy reads.

"No explanation is required, but it is requested that you consider waiting 24 hours before emailing the instructor."

To the people who brought you "everyone gets a trophy", we get a professor who gives everyone the grade they requested!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/08/health/students-choose-grades-stress-reduction-trnd/index.html

Ironically, it's the first thing I've heard from college that actually prepares graduates for the real world (i.e. the "write your own performance review" practice in corporate America.)

I hate that practice with a passion. Like what else do you expect me to write besides "Is a model employee"?

Really !@#$s with the paranoia as well.

I usually just write ridiculous **** for my accomplishments. "Successfully divided by zero, learned Spanish in Russian, outran a leopard, got 100 miles to the gallon in a '68 Impala."

Erasing History at Yale: Covers over Musket in Stone Carving of Puritan

Yale-Stone-Carving-Covered-e150254483638

Just a little over a year ago, an employee at Yale smashed a stained glass window at the school because he was angry over the image of African Americans carrying cotton. We covered it in this post: Yale employee smashes allegedly racist stained-glass window, Yale won’t press charges

Not only did Yale not press charges, they rehired the employee with much fanfare.

Now another piece of campus art has been altered for the sake of political correctness.

(more…)

Professors advised to treat racial microaggressions in classrooms like assault.

So much for understanding what “micro” means

One speaker talked about her “feminist, antiracist approach to teaching musical theatre history.” Another tweet stemming from the conference stated that “Game shows are white propaganda. Reflect what whites believe so they don’t face world they’ve created.”

What the !@#$ is that nonsense? Musical Theater History? That be some real important learnin' right there.

One speaker talked about her “feminist, antiracist approach to teaching musical theatre history.” Another tweet stemming from the conference stated that “Game shows are white propaganda. Reflect what whites believe so they don’t face world they’ve created.”

What the !@#$ is that nonsense? Musical Theater History? That be some real important learnin' right there.

They must not like Steve Harvey.

Game shows are for people with nothing else to do but sit there while others are working during these hours.

There are perfectly legit reasons for one to be watching.

Diane in a bathing suit in the Showcase are some fond memories during school days.

Thanks for sharing. I sent them this email.

Why am I asked a personal question to buy flowers from you? And if you're going to ask those types of questions why not expand it to exclude all sorts of idiots? Why are you only against racism?

I would have gone with "If you pre-screen your clientele for social views acceptable to you personally, do you thus support the right of a florist to not provide flowers to a gay wedding?"

I would have gone with "If you pre-screen your clientele for social views acceptable to you personally, do you thus support the right of a florist to not provide flowers to a gay wedding?"

I'd have done that. But also attach a picture of some balls. Or link to goatse Edited by Boyst62